The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by More Than A Feeling, May 13, 2021.

1. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

The Daily Fail, disproving Beckett’s famous dictum with every article. But let’s take it as a compliment, proof of KB’s ‘cut thru’. I would add that my now fabled grandmother, see upthread, was a DM reader, indeed of Femail’. She would have been aghast at the thought these losers influenced her opinion ;)

sunspot42 and Fawltykog like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This was her old place. I feel comfortable sharing it because she's not lived there in more than a decade, and I'm just doing so to show you that she didn't live on any sort of "island" but in a house by the Kennet & Avon canal, bordered on the other side by the original river with the mill creek running through the middle.

[​IMG]

The location came out when the weir at the tip of her property collapsed, and the Canal and River Trust tried to get Kate to pay for the repair, presumably on the theory that she had deeper pockets.

She wound up being talked about on a canal boaters forum, that she came out to yell at somebody who was attempting to moor on her land. To the best of my knowledge, you're only allowed to more on the tow path side, and her land wasn't on the tow path.

croquetlawns, ries, Fawltykog and 4 others like this.
  3. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Kate gets a 2nd week at #1 in the UK!

4. rfkavanagh

rfkavanagh Unashamedly Pop!

Another really nice note from Kate on her website - she hasn’t been this verbose in years!

5. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

It’s the perfect chance for her to thank everyone for the love, and not just the recent love. It’s so touching to read.

6. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm sure this has been posted, but in case not:

It is best I don't comment on it, but there's not a lot of footage out there.

croquetlawns, ries, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  7. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I'm surprised those live bootleg videos haven't been taken down yet.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It seems a lot have been. On the other hand I don't know why Kate would be any different from others - there are lots of other bands who have parts of their live shows on Youtube. There's no reason KB shouldn't, imo.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

10. Haggischomper

Haggischomper Scottish AF

He's absolutely right.

11. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

I was disappointed too. Would’ve loved to get even a tidbit about what she’s up to these days, other than gardening and watching telly.

sunspot42, bob60 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

That sounds like someone who asked to have his own interview with Kate, but was denied. :D

But more seriously, I'll be perfectly honest - I try not to post often about Kate. That's because I have a dissenting opinion, and it strikes me that people are quick to take offense if you're at all critical of her. She has indeed been promoted to the upper echelon of unimpeachable artists who can do no wrong. Everything she touches, apparently, turns to gold. Which is all well and good, but doesn't foster proper discussion.

As to Running Up that Hill, the fact seems to be that Kate was almost forced to say something. I'm sure she was inundated with requests for her time, and that's how she decided to do it. I don't quite understand why this is all such a big deal. An older song was transplanted into current popular culture, and the now a simpler charts algorithm says it's Number One. It's all a bit preposterous. But then, you don't actually have to sell anything to top the charts these days, you get there based on how many people are listening, which isn't the same thing at all. I don't know, the charts seem to be irrelevant these days.

Musically Kate has been having a tough time. From the remastered series which was scattered with bad decisions, to underwhelming packaging and a B sides disc that wasn't complete, it didn't really come together as worth doing (I've never had an issue with how the original albums sounded). To new albums which underwhelmed, and then watching Kate shuffle from one foot to the other on stage, it's not the Kate that once was or even a good extension of what was. IMO YMMV.

But yeah, saying anything that can be perceived as negative generally gets you attacked. She's not above criticism though. In this very specific case, I don't think she did anything wrong though. Kate famously doesn't talk about what she's doing, when and if she's likely to release anything, and her future plans in general. She hasn't done that since around the beginning of her career, so I don't think we can expect much more now. Paul, in his article, is basically concerned with product, which is what his site feeds on, but when it comes to Kate that's always going to be a difficult question to get answered.

I have a disc somewhere here of demo's for her first two albums. I'd love to have those put out. But of all artists who might consider such a thing, Kate is very least likely to ever let it happen, which is a shame. Her prerogative, I guess. I do think it makes her more detached than most, but she's probably like that.

Ludger, croquetlawns, Paul H and 2 others like this.
  13. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I was disappointed to hear she watched commercial TV. :D

sunspot42 likes this.
  14. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I think that complaining about Kate not revealing much during an interview is a bit like complaining about the Pope being Catholic, i mean what did he expect her to say with her track record?

15. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

I’m not saying your other criticisms weren’t valid but I think this is very unfair. Did you actually go and see the show at all?

DesertHermit and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

The closest I ever got to Kate Bush was back in the 90's. She was doing a signing at Tower Records in NYC. on West 4 St. I had to work that day, but made my way down to the store as soon as I could after work. the line to meet her was understandably ridiculous. I heard the first people in line had flown from Chicago the night before. Beyond dedication, considering she was not performing. the store closed before I had a chance to meet her or get anything signed, but I remember vividly seeing her in the store and smiling to her fans. Actually, I think that is enough for me.

17. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Kate was all over the media up to The Red Shoes and her disappearing act. Tiswas, SwapShop/Saturday Superstore, Wogan, the Christmas TV special, charity shows. She did start to dial it down from Hounds of Love onwards, but its just not true that she has 'always' been hiding away.

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

No, I had no interest in going to see the show. I have seen various bits and pieces from Youtube, and my comment was based on the video I posted a short while ago of Running Up that Hill. I won't go into more detail about it, because too many people would get upset and it's not worth the war. I also don't think it's unfair to simply observe what is right there in front of us. Whether that means she has lost something or not is down to our own opinions and views, as it should be. For me the new Kate - the return - is just a very different artist, one I like less.

I do think her voice was surprisingly good at the show, at least in what I've seen.

19. little_earthquakes90

little_earthquakes90 Forum Resident

You weren’t there. You haven’t seen the whole show. You cannot judge a live concert from YouTube clips. I’m afraid your opinion is invalid on that one.

MikeManaic61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Fwiw, I don’t think she’s beyond reproach and you’re more than entitled to your opinion as you’ve obviously engaged with her as an artist. For me, part of what makes her interesting as an artist is her intense privacy and enigma. Because we live in an age where privacy is not respected and people who don’t vomit their entire lack of personality into the world aren’t trusted. The fact she is able to create entirely on her own terms means her work stands and falls on its own terms. In a way there is no hiding place at all, even though she is rarely anywhere to be seen. Now, of course that means she is out of touch to an extent. But that’s part of the paradox of pop culture. In the world and yet not of it. And not yet out of it.

21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

There are so many great things about Kate Bush. She is certainly one of the very best Pop/Rock female artists of all time. Of those Era 1 albums, the only one that dipped a little was Red Shoes, and that was largely down to the production that was a little too bright and cheery, I seem to remember it was all done digitally, but I could be wrong. But that's not to say it didn't have some great songs.

A couple nights ago I spun Lionheart, and that's another fine album, but they're all fine from this period. I was underwhelmed by the remasters, and the changes made were wholly unnecessary, imo, And while we likely won't ever get those demo's, she's willing to do something like Director's Cut where she butchers a few of her previous songs, which is a little baffling (again, I know it has its fans, and I do appreciate that). I'm also more than willing to buy whatever comes next. She's certainly earned that.

If Kate played live again, would I go see her? No. I've no need for that. That's partly because she's simply not the performer she once was, and also because I'm no longer the audience member I once was! For once I'm grateful someone took their cell phone to the concerts, after all, Kate has shown no interest in releasing official footage.

Ludger and croquetlawns like this.
  22. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

Maybe Kate has just evolved into an artist you don't connect with anymore.

23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

100%. She'd not be the first!

24. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

Directors Cut I found frustrating. I can’t help think it was driven by the Joyce estate licensing the Molly Bloom soliloquy, which came into the public domain soon afterwards anyway. And that snowballing. But no doubt proper fans have it in detail.

25. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

I really like Director's Cut. I know a lot of Kate fans dislike it but i think it works as an album. I'd put Never Be Mine in my top 10 Kate songs, and Moments Of Pleasure is devastating. I always found the original a bit too overblown.

MrCJF likes this.