The Kink Kontroversy - what a great album!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeBon Bush, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I agree with most of what's been said here. It's their first consistently good album - I like almost every track on it. But it's not in the league of the mastepieces that came next.

Adam9 and Hombre like this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love Thread Starter

Thanks a lot! :edthumbs:

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It all comes down to subjective preference. The Stones did a good job with their blues covers, though they were less successful when they tried their hand at soul, IMO. Personally, I think that a Kinks cover like "Milk Cow Blues" was pretty convincing, but it's not even like Kontroversy was excessively larded down with covers anyway.

john lennonist likes this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Yes, but to be fair, I think that only the Beatles, the Byrds and probably the Beach Boys released albums that more or less equalled the quality of their singles in 1965. Out Of Our Heads and My Generation are other of my favorite albums from that year, but I admit they included several fillers or lesser songs.

john lennonist likes this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Face To Face

6. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

It sounds like it's the same mastering as the bonus tracks CD. I have sort of lost track of some of those reissues as I got rid of mine some time ago.
    The original Castle, made in France, may have the same or better similar mastering as the PRT CD.

7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

While on your "Kinks discovery," be sure to check out my fave Kinks album -- "Something Else by the Kinks"

And the wonderful "Kink Kronikles" for somewhat hard-to-find tracks, many of which were originally non-album singles.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    LeBon Bush and Zack like this.
  8. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Re this fine album it was released in the UK as mono and as simulated stereo back in the day (I have both on vinyl from years ago). Re cd is it mono only or did the simulated stereo get a cd release at some point?

LeBon Bush likes this.
  9. Zack

Zack Senior Member

+1. Kronikles is krucial Kinks (sorry).

john lennonist and LeBon Bush like this.
  10. LeBon Bush

You know, I did listen to Something Else yesterday. It was just as wonderful as Village Green - I think I'm in love :love:

Favre508 and john lennonist like this.
  11. LeBon Bush

That's some konfident wordplay in here :D

linclink and Zack like this.
  12. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

And Arthur too!

LeBon Bush likes this.
  13. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Keep us posted on your Kinks experience! it's do exciting to see new fans of the kinks discovering their awesome music. I just discovered preservation act 1 and 2, and also just listened to schoolboys in disgrace! I think this period is very underrated for the Kinks.

14. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

This album is dope. Everything from Kinda Kinks to Muswell Hillbillies is classic stuff.

I always loved Sleater-Kinney’s homage to the Kontroversy cover on Dig Me Out

GetHappy!!, The MEZ and linclink like this.
  15. TMegginson

TMegginson Forum Resident

I have an original US mono pressing, and I was just now making a needle-drop to listen to at work. It's really enjoyable Kinks, because it has both the early British Invasion Kinks sound and the start of their mid-60s sophistication.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  16. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I've loved it since I discovered it for myself in the '70s. Finally got a nice new copy of it when the UK reissue came out in the early '80s. Have a US mono now that was still sealed until I got my hands on it 10 or 15 years ago. Definitely a favourite, their first solid album (I know people are going to disagree with that, but the first two UK albums, though good, don't really reach this level IMO) and I agree it marks the start of their golden, classic era, even if it isn't the classics the lps starting with Face To Face are. I think Till The End Of The Day, their last riff cruncher hit of the early era, has the best lyrics of all: you and me, we're free, we do as we please...

LeBon Bush likes this.
  17. LeBon Bush

:agree: it's a transitional album by the book, and this makes it still sound unique in a way. Invasion sound, but very sophisticated. Fascinating listen.

TMegginson likes this.
  18. LeBon Bush

Yup, it's no Face To Face by any means. Yet historically, it remains one of the most fascinating Kinks albums imo.

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

The original version of Rubber Soul has 14.

20. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Yep. That's what I said. Seven songs per side.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I like this album the same as Face to face

The Quiet One likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.