The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

All right, Avid Pyrrhicvictory, the song is "Loony Balloon". "Elizabeth Jade" just happens to be one of my fave rave RH songs, although it sounds more like the Stones circa Between the Buttons, which was probably their most Kinks like album.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sounds like they were trying to preserve something, fancy (that)!

3. All Down The Line

You are clearly the :D top of the class.

markelis, Brian x, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I’m not very familiar with this song, but this is one of the last Hitchcock records I ever bought. I also went to see him on this tour. I still like him and follow what he is up to, but I don’t return to any of the albums after Respect, which came out in 1993. I like a few songs since then, but I love his earlier albums.

5. DISKOJOE

I also saw him for the first and only time during that tour at the Paradise in Boston. I still have the t-shirt I bought at that gig and it still fits me!

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Hmmm... I hadn't considered a test....
    Ok...
    The test will be on what specific Dave songs actually mean in section 1.
    I'll have to consider section 2 :)

7. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

My one and only time as well. Chicago- Metro

I didn’t buy a shirt! I now wonder what happened to all of my past concert t shirts. Wish I kept them all.

8. mark winstanley

My wife wears my U2 and Bob Dylan/Tom Petty concert t's...
    Most of the rest got worn to death lol

9. All Down The Line

Ok you well beat me to that but where's your Kinksian subtlety?

10. mark winstanley

If you haven't noticed.... subtlety isn't really my strong suite lol

11. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Kindergarten Graduation Playlist

Okay boys and girls it was actually my 6 year old who graduated from kindergarten. I flunked out.

On our post-graduation drive to the water park we let her choose any songs she wanted. All were played at least three times at maximum volume:

"No" by Meghan Trainor;
    "Low Hanging Fruit" by Tenacious D; and....

12. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Cliches of the World

There are a lot of things I like about this song...the start, the ending, the spoken bit (especially "unimaginable pleasures" - cracks me up), but I don't know if it's enough to make this song great. The music that makes up the verses doesn't do much for me. Dare I say, feels very album filler to me.

Is it around this period of time that Dave is really exploring alien stuff and maybe got a visit?

markelis, CheshireCat, Zeki and 11 others like this.
  13. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

We broke up after 2004’s Spooked, an amicable split. For me, he had me in the palm of his hand up to and including Jewels for Sophia. I also caught him a couple times on that tour at small venues. Both times he played ‘Waterloo Sunset’, if memory serves, at the piano. At one of the shows, the Mercury Lounge in NYC, the artist has to make his way through the audience to take or leave the stage. As he passed by, I told him I was glad he played ‘Waterloo Sunset’ and he replied, ‘It’s an honor.’
    My favorite album of his, though, is Moss Elixir, from ‘96. This one has a hold on me that just grows stronger as time moves on; a magical and mature work, obsessed with mortality, but still abstract. Existential and personal at the same time. I know that’s not everyone’s cup of tea (though I chug it by the gallon) and like Lou Reed’s Magic and Loss, (which I also adore) you may need to be in a certain mood or mode to warm to it. Sorry to go on and on, but I humbly ask you to sit down and give Moss Elixir one more chance, now, at the oldest age you’ve yet been and see what happens. I’d suggest listening on a bright and chilly autumn morning, but why wait?

14. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

How interesting! Didn't realize that his daughter's band actually opened for the Kinks. Was she the singer? If so, how'd she do?

15. All Down The Line

Your last sentence could be about joining the Rolling Stones 1972 tour of America!

Smiler, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  16. mark winstanley

Very cool...

I didn't flunk... I didn't even go to kindergarten lol

17. All Down The Line

Don't gloss over it we are all very impressed, you certainly won't be the idiot dunce!

Zeki, mark winstanley and donstemple like this.
  18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Dylan and Jacques Levy did it years earlier with Hurricane. (“Pistol shots ring out in the barroom night. Enter Patty Valentine from the upper hall…”)

19. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Listening on a hot hot summer evening. Absolutely brilliant, thanks for the recommendation.

20. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Kinkergarten perhaps?

21. mark winstanley

I went to the School Of Rock lol

22. All Down The Line

I am near speechless but curious if you went to Mr Bean levels of contorsion to get the ideal ariel reception?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  23. DISKOJOE

I'm listening to it right now (I have the Wounded Bird 2 CD set that has this and Mossy Liquor). Not a bad album, but my favorite RH album has to be I Often Dream of Trains which is up there w/VGPS to me.

24. All Down The Line

Could you just be in solidarity with us then and excersize less! :realmad:

Zeki, DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  25. DISKOJOE

Oh, Avid All Down the Line, I do have a middle age gut :laugh:, but that t-shirt was well made & I still wear it every summer since I got it back in 1999. I also have a Small Faces Odgen's Gone Nut Flake t-shirt that I got around the same time that I still wear.