The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

I don't have the CD compilation Come Dancing With The Kinks, although it looks like a pretty good selection from the track list.

I do have the video compilation called Come Dancing With The Kinks, though - it's on the same DVD as Return To Waterloo. It's a victim of the same phenomenon as the other music video DVD collections I own - namely that I apparently don't want to watch music video collections as much as I thought I would twenty years ago when I bought them.

At last on Monday it's time for The Think Visual Appreciation Society to make their appearance!

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Same.... I love watching concerts, but video collections rarely get my attention.
    I do however listen to the proper 5.1 mixes on good video collections.
    Lennon - Legend
    The McCartney Years
    The Tea Party - Illuminations
    Super Furry Animals - Rings Around the World
    Peter Gabriel - Play
    are the best off the top of my head.

Of which I think I can now call myself a member.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

A CD Set?
    Any photos?

4. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

5. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I received Dave Davies new book in the mail today. I picked it up to read a few pages to see if I would like it. Many many pages later I was still reading it, so it's most enjoyable. I'm sure he's going to cover a lot of the territory he covered in Kink, but with new stories. He begins the book by talking about his family of origin. A lot of good stories there...some I knew, some I didn't.

So far I would recommend. His spirituality comes up a good deal but I agree with a lot of what he says. It's only when talk of aliens and such crop up that I may have a harder time with it.

6. All Down The Line

As long as he deposits nothing to sink it!

markelis, Wondergirl, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  7. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I've been trying to post screenshots of the fun interactions between Dave and Richie Blackmore ont Twitter but I failed (I tried some services that allow you tu upload an image and give you a link but it didn't work). Anyway, I like these dinosaur interplay on the internet. A last glimpse of the 60s-70s sun as it sets, as seen fragmented through the lens of social media.

8. All Down The Line

Can you give us the gist of the repartee?

9. The late man

Dave started with "I dont mean to sound like a grumpy old bastard but Englands gotten so expensive, you used to be able to go out with 10 quid and get a little meal there’s no England now certainly ain’t now 10 quid will get you two sandwiches at Sainsburys if your lucky, I feel for people". Blackmore answered with "Well, I AM a grumpy old bastard . I love England but had to leave because of taxes in '75. 82% taxes at the time. I also feel for the people living in England, how much they have to pay for everything. But Death of a Clown is still a brilliant song."

I love it, the former rebels turned grumpy old men talking prices and taxes.

Then Dave answered with "Oh bless you Ritchie", and must have been researching a bit on their past connexions on the internet, since he ended up finding this article, where Blackmore says, about You Really Got Me, “the solo was too bad to be Page; it had to be Dave Davies”. Dave commented "
    "I always admired your playing @TheRealRitchieB. Just read this re my solo on YRGM - It was new unusual and inspirational I thought, a kid expressing himself naturally without the fetter of being a hard nosed session guy. Being pure rather than calculated."

Yeah I know, not fascinating stuff but the directness of the public interaction is fun. Plus I gained a like on one of my tweets by Dave by just reminding him of his age when he played that solo.

10. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks @The late man, this is very interesting and fun. I wouldn't think of those two fellas chatting it up! And @Fortuleo, please let us know about your Wild West travels and how this trip was inspired. Sounds like a large time!

11. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Here’s a piccy that I just found of Avid Fortuleo having fun at a dude ranch :laugh:
    [​IMG]

12. All Down The Line

Cool, Ritchie is not one to dish out compliments to guitarists.

13. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I don't see why a great Mongol warrior would inspire such a comment…:p
    I thought you'd never ask! Well, there's a bit of an anecdote there, and since it's Sunday…

Friends living in L.A called me last January insisting on us visiting them this summer. When they felt my wife's lukewarmness about L.A, they said "but if you prefer, we could meet up somewhere else, anywhere. Say, Montana ?", and that struck a chord : just then, we were watching the Yellowstone TV series every night, marveling at the sceneries and thinking "we should definitely go there some day". My passion for westerns and American(a) music is really close to Ray's, the usual European kid fantasy. I would've made a "Montmartre Hillbillies" record, if I'd only could play the guitar… And my wife is crazy about the great Montana writers, the whole Missoula scene myth. So there you go, we were hooked. Prices were crazy (not like today, but already crazy) and I figured flying to Canada would be cheaper, and a nice opportunity to meet another friend from Quebec for a few days. So we bought tickets to Calgary.

When we started organizing what we would do there, we discovered we were landing the day before the grand opening of the "Calgary Stampede", a huge summer festival in hats and cow-boy boots. How lucky can you get?? That was last January. When we got there three days ago, we read that the big opening of the festival was a huge street parade. And that this year's parade "Marshall" would be… Kevin Costner ! The Yellowstone man himself! On a horse !!! I mean, How lucky can you get ??!!?!!? Here's that John Dutton guy responding to me calling his (fiction) name, as photographed by my wife.
    [​IMG]

Later today, we'll cross the US terrestrial border (a first for us) for a little more than a fortnight of road tripping. We should be able to get to Yellowstone in a week or so, despite the terrible flood.

The playlist's ready. Oklahoma USA will be played. Rock'n Roll Cow-Boys (from Ray's Americana LP) too.:targettiphat:

We're here my friend. Ready to go!

14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Boris Johnson resigns, the ex-Prime Minister of Japan is assassinated, the war in Ukraine drags on, but you can always rely on the Daily Star to cover the stories that matter.

[​IMG]

15. All Down The Line

If Dave's claim is true please be humane and not show him the lasses on the front cover!

16. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Of course it's true!

17. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

TV Miscellany

If only the Davies wit evident in these clips made it to the next album we review.

18. All Down The Line

With Dave's claim plus E.T. and all iam recalling Cheech and Chongs mixing up E.T. with an extra test-icle!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  19. The Absolute Beginners soundtrack is terrific with top flight contributions from everyone. I love Ray’s song. 5/5

20. Think Visual has some good moments but the best one is fromDave with “When You We’re A Child” the best song in the album. They would recover a bit with UK Jive. I also think most folks miss the fact that Rock N Roll Cities is a spoof of ‘road’ songs. I’m jumping ahead. Sorry. I’ll keep the rest of my comments on the album until we reach it.

21. Oh I love Dave. He’s a demented guy but lots of fun.

22. I love his bit about how he and Ray (in Kink) pronounce their last name differently. It couldn’t be any other way in their family.

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’m not showing my hand!

“They got me so I couldn’t sleep at night!”

24. The late man

I'm extremely envious of you, avid @Fortuleo and extremely happy for you

I hope you will come back with a whole new streak of inspiration about Ray's american imaginary roots, which amaze me a little bit more every time I listen to his music

The incredible mixture of Bach, Haydn, music hall, celtic folk music, American country, African traditions and many others that adds up to late XXth century British popular music is one of the greatest artistic achievements of mankind

And God bless cultural appropriation, for f*k's sake

(Nothing political, the expression might have legitimate meanings I have not yet encountered)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

essentially sharing ideas musically has always been part of the tradition... whether we go back to early folk and its traditions, or early blues and its traditions ...classical composers did it ... in fact, even artists doing musique concrete or however it is spelled shared ideas and moved forward ...
    There has long been a situation where when cultures collide/join together (depending on ones perspective) they have shared ideas and culture and it has generally worked for the betterment of society as a whole... music is one place this happens a lot, another favourite of mine is food.... How much more rich the human experience in the world is when we share ideas and by that expand our horizons.