The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Yes, I think replace with 'Flash's Dream' - that would certainly show another side of The Kinks.
    A much better (and representative) sampler than the one that the band (or Mojo) have gone for. If choosing a track from 'Preservation Act II', I think I'd choose 'Artificial Man', other than that, very nice.

2. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Catching up with The Roundhouse...

"The Tourist" - Ray struggles a bit with the higher notes, but this has more of a zip to it than the studio version and makes a good live track with the rising and falling dynamics.

"Sunny Afternoon" - I can't say I've ever sought out any Razorlight, but Johnny Borrell doesn't embarrass himself here - he sings it well. Nice to hear the full song for a change to remind ourselves just what a great song it is.

"Working Mans Cafe" - and nice to hear this at this point to remind ourselves just how easily this can sit alongside the Kinks classics. Ray is enjoying himself as much as the audience.

"Morphine Song" - well now I know why I can't find the Charity Hospital on Google Maps. Another one that can sit alongside the Klassiks and has its own singalong vibe. A good performance of this one.

3. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

4. Rockford & Roll

This is way cool, Mark. I can imagine you adding a 7th disc. Which era gave you the most trouble with narrowing it down?

5. Rockford & Roll

Superb list. I like samplers that challenge me and educate.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I didn’t understand that it was a Mark Anthology at first. Thought it was an official release…and the best one yet!

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Is was a coin toss between that and Yes Sir No Sir, today it may have gone the other way

8. mark winstanley

It was actually the Arista years that were hardest for me...
    At the end of the day though, I'd just recommend that people get the album collection via the deluxe editions lol

9. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Headmaster, not bad at all for a relative Kinks newbie. I actually prefer it to the actual Picture Book box set.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes sir.

11. DISKOJOE

Pretty cool purchase Avid All Down the Line, especially w/the Special Album Form. The original owner must have been pretty fastidious. It reminds me of Avid Martyj’s epic story of obtaining TGLKA while in the Navy.

Are you getting just the US versions of Kinks vinyl or are you also obtaining Aussie/UK versions?

Finally, mono LPs usually went for $2.99-$4.99. back in the day, if you want to calculate your bill to Our Headmaster, which will be probably be cheerful ignored by him :laugh:

12. DISKOJOE

Pretty good Avid Fortuleo. You should be editor of MOJO. At least we would get cover stories on Francoise Hardy, Serge Gainsborough and Johnny Halliday (maybe not the latter) :laugh:

13. DISKOJOE

I was thinking about you when posting this. Do these things happen in Aussie sports events, like kangaroos hopping on the field or koala bears? Here’s another:

14. mark winstanley

I reckon it would be worth throwing in a bonus disc seven with the non-album...rare...tracks...
    I reckon it's a catalog hard to contain in a compilation

15. All Down The Line

Well I guess I wanted Mono up to say at least Face To Face and I became realistic a couple of years ago that I woudnt find affordable UK copies (similar story with Hendrix) and settled for US believing the sound to be pretty good.
    Good condition Oz copies are extremely scarce so didn't entertain that idea.
    My only UK copies are Preservation Act II, UK Jive (I'm yet to play), a 1980 Village Green and that cartoon cover 1974 2LP spanning 1966-'71 but jumping Arthur.

I have new copies of Arthur 2LP, Lola & Percy alongside a complete original US Arthur.

I think all the titles I have between Sleepwalker & The Road are Japanese with quite a few being White Label promos.

Still about 6 studio titles missing and I have a number of 2LP compilations.

16. DISKOJOE

So what are those 6 studio titles that you need?

17. All Down The Line

AFL:
    Sprinklers going off
    Streakers, usually female
    Sirens too quiet, this once changed the result of a night grand final in '80 between Collingwood & North Melbourne in the dying seconds!
    A point post snapping in half

Cricket:
    Seagulls maimed or killed
    Streamers, usually male
    Players getting injured sliding or running into boundary gutters or metal advertising hoardings

Motor Racing at Mt Panorama, Bathurst:
    Kangaroo hit by a car
    Television cut by car driving over cables

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  18. All Down The Line

Vinyl:
    Soap Opera, Schoolboys In Disgrace, Low Budget, Give The People What They Want, State Of Confusion & Phobia.
    Kelvin Hall I once had on CD only.
    To The Bone I only have on CD as the vinyl is uncommon and super expensive.

19. All Down The Line

1980 Night Grand Final Ending.

20. DISKOJOE

“Seagulls maimed or killed”

That happens in baseball too. The second clip shows Randy Johnson, who was a hard throwing pitcher, disintegrating a dove w/his pitch:

21. All Down The Line

You really got me on one omission!

22. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Uncut Magazine
    December 2010
    (some very enigmatic answers given by Ray on the shooting, etc.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. All Down The Line

Terrible.
    In cricket they are standing in the outfield and generally move out the way unless unsighted by other seagulls or a ball struck very hard.
    When hit it's usually by a ball travelling along the ground.

24. pyrrhicvictory

25. pyrrhicvictory

Luv this running order! I may use it as a Kinks introductory cd for friends, though I will swap out Flash’s Confession (the one song included I can’t abide) and Better Things (not obscure enough) and add Cricket and Moving Pictures. With so many excellent songs to choose from, it might be possible for all of us Avid’s to make our own lists with no overlap! This is mine (up to 1975):

Too Much on my Mind
    Session Man
    Lazy Old Sun
    Mindless Child of Motherhood
    Animal Farm
    Drivin’
    Top of the Pops
    Sitting in my Hotel
    Cricket
    Ordinary People (live version)

You really can’t go (too) wrong!