The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

T
    This is the best news. What an obnoxious prat, whom thankfully I've never heard of before, and hopefully never will again.
    Seems he only got the gig due to classic BBC nepotism.

2. CheshireCat

Paul Gambaccini wasn't impressed either 'Gambaccini is not convinced. He said the presenter's infamous 6Music interview with Ray Davies, which the Kinks singer cut short after a series of increasingly obscure questions, was the "worst interview in the history of broadcasting". "George is another example of that airlift of television presenters. He needed training before he went on ... I said to people, 'Google George Lamb and Ray Davies but make sure you tie yourself down before you do so, because you will strike the next person you meet because you will be so angry'.

Ludger, markelis, Steve62 and 8 others like this.
  3. CheshireCat

Come Dancing - The Musical (Act 2) Part One

All a bit theatre again. I'd like to hear 'Wherever I Go' with proper singers, there's a good duet in there amongst the fake 'cockernee' singing stylee.

'I Know This Girl' would be improved immeasurably by it being sung by its composer. It's another good song though, spoiled somewhat by the 'musicals' style. I can imagine the assembled cast on stage singing this one though. One of the show's centrepiece songs.

It's worth remembering that all these song titles are just suggested ideas from whoever created the bootleg CD, hence 'A New Rhythm' re-appearing officially as 'The Future', 'Just An Empty Space' being just 'Space'. Tomorrow's 'Let Her Grow', still unreleased, I'm sure has had Ray refer to as 'A Better Thing' somewhere in the past.

4. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Come Dancing Act 2 (Part 1)

I listened to this at work earlier on, and I have to say that most of it passed me by - I didn't really hear anything musically that grabbed me, and I think I've lost the plot (literally). I shall be tuning in for the last part tomorrow, though, when hopefully there is a triumphant ending!

5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For those playing at home...

[​IMG]

6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Oh myyyyy! This may be Ray at his maximum cuteness! swooooon...:love:

someone mentioned that there was some sort of Stern interview with...Ray? Dave? I tried a search and can't find it. Can anyone help a gal out?

How's everyone doing?

I've been listening to Other People's Lives on and off for several weeks and I love it!
    The Getaway (Lonesome Train) is basically him imitating Neil Young. I wonder if he purposely did that or what. I'm not sure what my favorite song is, but my least favorite is Next Door Neighbour which is sort of meh.

I'm now getting to know Working Man's Cafe. There are a few songs that I don't love(Peace in Our Time & In a Moment) and will skip often, but the rest of it is growing on me. Imaginary Man is a stand-out.

7. CheshireCat

'Phobia' is thirty years old today.

8. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

It's strange to realise that more time has passed since Phobia than passed between The Kinks' debut album and Phobia.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Mind blown

10. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

11. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ray did at least 2 appearances on Stern in the 80s, we mentioned them in passing at the appropriate timeframe in the thread, but no copies seem to be at large online unfortunately. The only small excerpt I’ve ever heard is the singalong on ‘Lola’ which used to be on YouTube but has since been taken down.

12. mark winstanley

All the better for hearing from you.

Glad you're enjoying Other People's Lives
    :righton:

markelis, Steve62, Fortuleo and 9 others like this.
  13. Wondergirl

Oh bummer! I would so love to hear those interviews. Hope they'll surface someday.
    thanks for answering. :righton:

14. Wondergirl

The two of them just did an interview in the past week or so on British TV. A lot time has passed and hopefully some maturity has come with that (maybe?).

[​IMG]

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I assume you are not speaking of Billy Idol's X so just whom may it be?

16. All Down The Line

Did it relate to Thunder Odin?

17. All Down The Line

This is all alien to me but did Dave Davies mutate?

18. All Down The Line

Got the job due the Lamb
    BBC went out on a Limb
    And from Ray was on the Lam!

19. All Down The Line

If it passed you by is there No Return?

20. All Down The Line

So is the duplication King Kringing?

21. All Down The Line

I think everyone's is on that score!

22. mark winstanley

Come Dancing the Musical part 4.

In Heaven
    This opens up with a riff behind it, but opens as a conversation.
    Then it breaks into a song.
    The song builds nicely, and it sort of reminds me of something... possibly just an era.

Putting On The Face (reprise)

Let Her Grow
    Here we have Ray singing a delicate love song, and the cast joins in.

When The Band Begins To Play (reprise)

Essentially it seems like here we essentially have a series of part tracks and dialogue that are tying the loose ends together and wrapping up the show with some kind of resolution.

In Heaven (reprise) Ray gives us a little chat and we move back to the dialogue of the characters over a semi-Calypso style Come Dancing.

Ray gives us a sort of epilogue and then we get a Rhythm Of The Dance reprise and move to the Curtain Call, with the more Calypso version of Come Dancing playing in the background.

It seems the crowd really liked the show a lot.

The Encore is the cast singing Come Dancing, and as much as it certainly isn't going to become a version I particularly want to hear, in the context of the play it makes perfect sense.

Overall it seems like this would have been a fun show to attend.
    It is interesting hearing this audio representation of the show, and it works nicely to give us an idea of what it was like, but of course we are missing the visual component and of course the all important atmosphere.
    This was an interesting sidetrack, but certainly not the most compelling section of the thread for me :)

0:00 Entracte
    2:23 Come Dancing (Reprise 2)
    4:08 Dialogue 10
    7:10 The Wedding Quickstep
    10:22 A Penny For Your Thoughts (Reprise)/The Wedding Quickstep (Reprise)/Dialogue 11
    14:16 Believe In Yourself (Reprise)
    16:17 Dialogue 12
    18:04 Wherever I Go
    20:55 I Know This Girl
    24:00 Dialogue 13
    25:14 And Whatever The Cost
    27:36 In Heaven
    31:03 Putting On The Face (Reprise)/Dialogue 14
    34:02 Let Her Grow
    37:56 When The Band Begins To Play (Reprise)
    40:07 Downfall 40:48 In Heaven (Reprise)
    41:53 Come Dancing (Reprise 3)/Epilogue
    45:43 Rhythm Of The Dance (Finale)
    48:16 Curtain Call (Come Dancing)
    49:53 Come Dancing (Encore)

23. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Well, you're not alone in this… But it's made @Wondergirl reappear which is always a breath of fresh air in our otherwise heavily testosteroned club (not really, we all allow our feminine side to show, don't we ? :love:).
    Before further comments about A Better Thing (aka Let Her Grow), we should have another little look at the World from My Window 2003 documentary. (side question : what about the Imaginary Man 2010 film, @Mark ? Is it scheduled for Thread scrutiny ?).

The segment about today's main song with Ray discussing its inspiration and singing it in the studio starts at 35'30''.

24. mark winstanley

Yes indeed

25. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Thanks so much. This is good to see.