The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Neither of today's songs made my #40-#80. This Is Where I Belong I prefer much more so. Another interesting duo to make their appreance. Matter of fact I have to add This Is Where I Belong to a Playlist!

2. Luckless Pedestrian

Luckless Pedestrian Forum Resident

Absolutely! This has happened to me countless times on this thread, and others; someone will mention an aspect of a song that appeals to them, something that I had never taken notice of, and it will "unlock" the song for me. Which is fantastic! This is why a positive review has value, and a negative review usually does not - because no one will ever convince you not to like something that you already like.

I say that a negative review "usually" does not have value, because sometimes it does, to one's self - I've found many times that when I don't like a song, and I try to articulate in words, to make an honest and accurate appraisal, on paper or in pixels, precisely what it is that I don't like about the song - what negative emotion does it provoke in me, and why? - that I will find myself suddenly beginning to like that song! And this applies to any work of art. I think this is because, on a philosophic level, by trying to put into words why you don't like a song, you are now entering into a conversation with the song. And when you are having a conversation with a song, you are no longer at war with it - since a genuine dialog requires an open mind - and chances are that you just might find some common ground with it, from which a new relationship can blossom! And when that happens, you've turned a negative into a positive, which is something to feel good about. I think that having this mindset has allowed me to appreciate and find unexpected pleasure in a lot of music and art that I might have otherwise turned away from. It may help, or require, having a ravenous appetite for aesthetic pleasure, that can inspire you to keep digging until you get that "fix". But fortunately, it's a guilt free pleasure!

3. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Well I had This is Where I Belong at 24 on my second list. In some ways a sibling to Autumn Almanac in sentiment.
    Marina did not make my list. I have stated here, there, and everywhere, that Arthur is the best album in the history of rock. But there are still songs I like better than others, and while Marina does have its merits, particularly lyrically I feel it is one of the weaker tracks on that album.

4. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Any album that excluded Blind Willie McTell and included Neighborhood Bully has room for improvement! :laughup:

5. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Today’s songs were both on my list. This is Where I Belong was actually my number one on the 41-80:list after being number ten on my original list. It’s so basic to say, but I find the song to be completely joyous. I’ve loved it since its appearance on Kink Kronkles (good choice John M) and enjoy Mr. Sandoval s remix even more. Just so very… Kinks.

Princess Marina was number seventeen on my new list, after just missing the cut on my original one. I really like the historical references, as with Mr. Churchill Says, and the way both songs segue into sections that inflect the meaning. With Marina, the buddy can you spare me a dime (interesting Ray chose an American-derived song to quote) enriches the idea of quiet and sad dignity of the poor folks who are buying hats to seem like the aristocrats and tell themselves they’re part of the team. Of course it’s Ray, so we’re not sure exactly where he stands, but “she wears it when she’s scrubbing the stairs” is a bit heartbreaking.

6. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I do agree, but have you heard Bob’s intro to take one of Neighborhood Bully? It’s his idea of doing The Clash.

7. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

I always thought that was Dave on vocals, no wonder I considered it his best. But that's why I'm here. Brilliant vocal from Ray, I should have ranked it higher!

8. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

She Wore a Hat Like Princess Marina
    It's good to see some love for this one. I had it bracketed with Mr Churchill Says and tossed a coin. For a seemingly simple song it still packs a punch.
    I couldn't have put it better.
    I think this accentuates the differences between her dream and reality.
    I know. A kazoo solo has to be one of Ray's craziest ideas.

This is Where I Belong
    This is special song for me - one I first "discovered" on Kronikles. It features one of Ray's recurring lyrical themes. And it takes only a few seconds to know that the music could only be The Kinks.

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

The slightly slower Clash City Rockers riff? To be honest, I'm thinking it's more Lou Reed, but the simple riffs ultimately come from the same place.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I think I'm safe in saying that cover is better than any Kinks album cover after 1967!
    There must be hundreds of French words that have been absorbed into English. Many are pronounced the same way - debut, rendezvous (one word), chic, bureau, etc. Some are pronounced differently: for example, you can buy croissants in Australia (not recommended in 99% of the establishments that sell them) but if you asked for one using the correct French pronunciation you'd likely get a blank expression. "Mate? Speak English." :winkgrin:

11. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Neither of today's songs made my list. I've known both songs forever though, and like them both.

She Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina is a fun song musically, kazoo and all, with some good patented Ray Davies social observation. I really like it when I listen to Arthur, but it just feels more like an album track for me. I can't think of anyone besides Ray that would come up with a song quite like this one. It sure is memorable.

This is Where I Belong is memorable as well. I heard at the beginning of my Kinks listening career, it having been on Kronikles. I like it, but maybe find it just a tad depressing.

12. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

The edit window closed, but I read your post after I posted mine @TeddyB and found it interesting that you found This is Where I Belong joyous, where I found it a tad depressing. Talk about diametrically opposed reactions. I guess it depends on what we each bring to the song. I suppose we’re focusing on different aspects of the song.

13. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I get it. Of course, if we take the narrator as Ray, he quickly returns to be the wandering boy who was a “real unlucky fellow”, writing song after song (after song) about it. The later Ray still doesn’t dream about the “house upon a hill”, but he is a roaming gypsy with:”no fixed abode”, other than The Road he chose in 1969. Or maybe it’s not about Ray at all (but it is). It’s mainly the performance I guess I find joyous. It’s a great sound and Ray sounds for the moment like he means it. I wonder what Rasa thinks of it.

14. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

No, not the riff per se. I mean Bob says this out loud before the first take, that it’s his version of the Clash.

15. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Yes, it’s great we finally got a stereo mix of this song in 2011 as released on the 2 CD Face To Face Deluxe Edition. Just checked and it seems this first ever true stereo mix was never posted in the thread. Oops!

But now we have two stereo remixes. Another new remix was done for the 2014 The Anthology 1964 - 1971. This one was posted in the thread when we covered that box some months ago, but here’s a link for anyone who wants to kompare. This second one is arguably an even better stereo mix to my ears.

This Is Where I Belong (Stereo) (2014 - Remaster) - YouTube

I know my schtick is probably getting old, but it’s my schtick, I’m schticking to it, and this is where it belongs.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  16. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

91 She Bought A Hat Like Princess Marina
    Unranked by me, but a rather unique song as it is both a beautiful character study, but also a circus/vaudeville revue! Kazoos and bike horns, background hollering, and Mick’s frenzied drumming. Kwite fun, but not kwite top tier for me.

But, this song (as well as today’s other featured song) is on my Kinky Kameleon playlist, of Kinks songs placed next to similar sounding/themed songs by other artists (mostly future artists, not contemporaries).

The quirky song that appears next to this one?

Badly Drawn Boy - Tickets to What You Need

17. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I agree with @Michael Streett that the 2014 Anthology stereo mix of This Is Where I Belong is the keeper.

18. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

90 This Is Where I Belong
    Ranked at #40 on my second list, as one of those songs that I had to find room for. I really love this song, and my wife (who is not a big Kinks fan) says this is one of her favorites too. It’s not the best sounding production, but there’s something about this song and the vocal delivery that is ahead of its time.

Another Kinky Kameleon song. It could have been a a song by a band in the 90s. A band like Radiohead, and their song that I placed next to this one: Black Star

19. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

What a great explanation about how this version came to be! I know nothing about the technical stuff and you brought it all to life the way you described it. Thanks for relating what i thought was a fascinating story. .

20. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Really enjoyed the Podcast @ajsmith. Great Job Guys!

21. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

It's got I'm outnumbered, by a million to one!

22. All Down The Line

How does it sound phonetically?

23. All Down The Line

I believe she didn't like his Rasaoning! :doh:

24. All Down The Line

You sir are a mixalot schtickler! :) :wave:

25. Someone-Else

Someone-Else Forum Resident

Mmmm ... more pye, please! I had one of these.

Princess Marina was not on my first-forty-plus-honourable-mentions list; therefore, due to self-imposed "no more Pye for you" rule, I did not consider her for my next 40.

This is Where I Belong is on my list, where it belongs. I had it at 35 in my first 40; 16 in my next 40. Like many others, I met this one on Kronikles, which provided several long-searched-for songs. I probably accorded special status to the new-to-me songs on Kronikles and Great Lost, which I believe were the final (and most difficult to locate) pieces I needed to complete the back catalogue back in 1980s - and those tracks may have had an outsized impact on me.

I also hear this one as joyous, not depressing. Can also can see my brother's take as companion to Autumn Almanac. But most of all, for me, this one has always been a bit tied up with I'm Not Like Everybody Else, maybe because I heard first heard and loved them both around the same time in adolescence/young adulthood, a time you're trying to figure out who you are and your place in the world, wanting to stand out and fit in at that same time. With luck you find a way to be unapologetically yourself - "like what you like", if you will - and also find a crowd where your idiosyncrasies are unreservedly accepted, maybe even celebrated ... yeah, this is where I belong.