The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Same here (although i would have phrased, "it amps up my heart rate"), right along with "She said, "Man, there's really something wrong with you, One day you're gonna self-destruct". Really, its all the lyrics, because its the delivery of every line that makes the song so fun to sing along with! He has got that weird intense way of singing it, it kind of raises the tension, then you get the cathartic release of the chorus to sing (shout?) along with.

Sorry, if some of you guys don't understand what we are talking about, Wondergirl and i are just talking in metal-speak. :cool:

2. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

i am betting Mark is preparing a short syllabus on Cold Chisel as we speak!

3. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

5. mark winstanley

I'm not really sure....

Most of the bands/artists I can think of, I can think of several reasons why most here just wouldn't like them.
    Cold Chisel (as @markelis points out lol) to me is the most obvious band that covers a broad spectrum of styles, and outside Australia are virtually unknown, but as much as I love Jimmy Barnes, with so many folks not liking "Shouty" Ray, it seems they may not like a lot of his vocal style on occasion.... So I'm really not sure

6. mark winstanley

79 I Go To Sleep
    1965 Demo
    200 points
    On 9 lists
    3 top 10

I Go To Sleep came in at 39 on my original list, which made it 15 on my second list.
    I love it... Demo or not, for me this could have been put on an album with no change. I'm sure they could have fleshed it out and done some more with it, as we discussed back when we looked at it, but it doesn't really need anything for me.

78 Father Christmas
    1977 single
    206 points
    On 11 lists
    2 top 10

Father Christmas missed my long list. I like it, but it was never in contention for being a favourite for me. If I had gone to 200 it would probably be in there.

7. mark winstanley

I have looked at ways I could do it to avoid it, but it is pretty much impossible.
    In the near future we have two ties, and a three way tie, that logic suggests I will need to post three songs on those days.
    I can't see a logical way around it.

8. mark winstanley

9. mark winstanley

and with the Kinks -From the sublime to the ridiculous

10. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

11. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I Go to Sleep is such a beautiful tune. It's hard to believe Ray left it in the demo stage. Maybe he thought it was too personal, given he wrote it while Rasa was giving birth to their daughter Louisa.

I put Father Christmas at 36 in my original Top 40 but I didn't give it a place in my second list. That's what you get when you write a list of songs just before Christmas.:D As far as Christmas rock songs go, I think it's one of the best.

12. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

What if you just posted two of them and save the last for next day? In other words ignore the ranking and the point values received to list as many as you need on a particular day.

On one day we might have seen:
    82) I'm In Disgrace (193) >95
    82) Mr. Churchill Says (193) >99

and then on the next:
    82) Powerman (193) >119
    82) Set Me Free (193) <76

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  13. KM Dave 65-78

78) Father Christmas (206) >100
    79) I Go To Sleep (200) <77

Everyone knows these songs are great, and The Kinks are great, but as usual this is all about me and not any kind of greatness! I'm now 0 for 3 on the new top 40. Ouch! None of these three have been on any of my lists, so I will be missing at least 7 from the #41-80 list. That's a B- could be a B if the Headmaster is kind.

Father Christmas moved up a bit from #100 and I Go To Sleep remained in the same area, down to #79 from #77.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  14. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

79 I Go To Sleep: Didn't make my list, which is odd because I love songs about, sleep, not being able to sleep, dreaming etc. Great song. i love the demo sound of it actually, it seems dreamy and thus fitting. In checking its position within my playlists, it rolls in in the 6TH SPOT out of a massive 121 songs on my pre-debut thru Face to Face playlist, so i would say that speaks volumes about my love for this song and it should get an extra point for that (even if i failed to vote for it)!

78 Father Christmas: My #36 on the first go round, and #18 this time. Greatest. Christmas. Song. Ever! (oops, not politically correct, I should say Greatest. Holiday. Song. Ever!). This has all the elements I love in a rock song and in a Kinks song (and therefore in a rocking kinks xmas song). Killer Dave riff (and ripping solo), catchy chorus, funny Ray lyrics, rapid fire rat-a-tat drumming from Mick. Lets just say this little rocker isn't consigned to air time in December, it gets airplay and gets me air guitaring year round. It makes my Sleepwalker thru Low budget era playist in the 34th spot out of 51 (and i bet it would be higher if there wasn't some sub-concious stigma by virtue of it being a christmas song) and I get to hear it regularly as a result!

15. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Agreed! i was gonna say the same.

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

You could be parochial and punt for someone from your home state, Western Australia. At the deep, intellectual end of the spectrum you had Dave McComb's Triffids, while at the shallow, primal end you had Dave Warner from The Suburbs. ....:winkgrin: The Stems, the Panics, the Sleepy Jackson, Tame Impala... WA has it all!

17. mark winstanley

If two songs land in the same spot, it would be stupid to separate them.

The only way to do it would post one song and then the tie the next day, in both of the upcoming instances.
    The three way tie, there is no way around posting three

18. KM Dave 65-78

So if there were a 10-way tie we would have to see all of them on the same day? I'm not understanding why breaking them up would be stupid. Anyway, you're the Headmaster so just roll with whatever way you think is right! I would prefer two per day regardless.

19. mark winstanley

I have two Triffids albums, and I like them, but I'm not well versed enough to do a thing on them
    I like Suburban Boy, but that's all I know about Dave.
    Not particularly familiar with the others

20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Me ?

I Go to Sleep. This is one of Ray’s greatest songs, no doubt about it. And the performance is brilliant, with the verse phrasing kind of dancing around the groove created by the little piano drone motif, almost at odds with it, creating a very hypnotic feel. And then you get the piano hook on the chorus, a moment of sheer Ray Davies beauty. All of this on a simple demo…. I still don’t see this as a Kinks song at all and wouldn’t list it for that reason (but, spoiler, it’s high on my solo Ray list).
    We’ve had some kontroversy about that one, because legend (and Ray himself in the Picture Book box set liner notes if I remember well) has it that it was written specifically for Peggy Lee… but I remember some posters alleged that it just happened that way by chance and that Ray didn’t write with specific artists in mind at all. Who knows? I tend to trust Ray, even though people say he shouldn’t be trusted, ever!! For what it’s worth, here’s Peggy Lee’s «original» version. No match for Ray’s but still excellent.

21. mark winstanley

Yep...
    It's just how my mind works

22. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

My barren run continues with two more unlisted tracks. Both of them are tracks I had never heard before this thread.

"I Go To Sleep" is of course a beautiful song, and Ray has most of the important arrangement points already in place in the demo.
    "Father Christmas" is a fine example of Arista Kinks with Ray and Dave both on form with their respective duties.
    However, neither has yet had the chance to find their way into my "inner circle" of songs.

I don't think I'll be taking part in the Sunday band extravaganza. Most of the time when I find something I like I prefer to keep it to myself! However, I've been loving those Tom Verlaine solo albums I picked up at the end of last year. And I picked up a nice copy of an album at the weekend that some on here may have heard of called Let It Bleed - so I now have two of their albums in my collection.

I also have to say that I'm enjoying listening to The Kinks possibly more than I ever have before at the moment. Over the last couple of weeks I've been playing Something Else, VGPS, Arthur and Lola, and it's been like listening with fresh ears. Part of this is due to all the other (late 60s/70s) albums I've been buying over the past year - going back to my Kinks albums to see how they compare on the music, sound quality and vinyl quality fronts - and the answer is always "admirably".

23. mark winstanley

24. KM Dave 65-78

How about Chain from Perth? Great heavy blues-rock. Outside of WA there was also the highly influential Rose Tattoo and my all-time favorites The Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band. "This group was something of an Australian institution – which started out playing to hippies and found itself playing for punks."

25. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

It was batting .500 time, a time of feast or famine, the best of times and the worst of times. I had the ghostly and magnificent “I Go To Sleep” as #2 on my second list, while “Father Christmas” wasn’t on my list at all despite it quality and humor.