The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

I Don’t Want You to Go: When I think about the music of the Dogs D’Amour, I think about their versatility. Its Exile style rock and roll, with a dash of country and a shaker of blues and some ballads and some acoustics. I like all the Stones styles, even the reggae songs (definitely the reggae songs!). ...but what I really like is when they rip it up, Bitch or Monkey Man or Live with Me style. Similarly, I especially like it when the Dogs rip it up. On this song I love Jo Dog’s solos and then Tyla sings his broken little heart out in the breakdown with great backing vocals and then its 100 mph into the finish!

I Don’t Want You To Go

When a girl ya love
    Walks out the door
    She said, I've had enough of you boy
    I can't take no more
    If you could be like you used to be
    It would mean so much more to me

I don't want you to go
    I don't want you to go away
    Somewhere deep inside of me
    Is that same boy I used to be

I turned the TV down
    To wait for your call
    Then you tell me
    I ain't comin' home ever at all

If you could be like you used to be
    It would mean so much more to me
    I don't want you to go
    I don't want you to go away
    Somewhere deep inside of me
    Is that some boy I used to be

2. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Satellite Kid: This was the first single off of King of Thieves. I love the whole aching nature of this song, both the lyrics, the vocal delivery and musical accompaniment. Great music throughout, kind of dreamy and hypnotic. Jo Dog gets off a great solo at the 1:30 mark.

Satellite Kid

Sometimes I feel like I am dyin´ inside
    Love is like smoke, it disappears through the night
    Sometimes I feel like I am drownin´ in your charms
    I´m the satellite kid when I´m in your arms
    Oh, you, you´re the best thing in my life, yeah
    Come on, you, oh, won´t you be my wife
    A bottle of you makes everything alright
    When I´m with you everything´s alright
    Solo:
    You, you´re the best thing in my life, yeah
    Come on, you, oh, won´t you be my wife
    A bottle of you makes everything alright
    When I´m with you everything´s alright
    You´re the goddess from the gutter, yeah, with an empty purse
    The last time you paid for a drink, yeah, was the first
    This could be tragic or sad
    But that´s the way life is
    Oh, you, you´re the best thing in my life, oh, yeah
    Come on, you, won´t you be my wife
    Solo:
    Come on, you
    When I´m with you a bottle is just fine

3. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Heartbreak: Great vocal by Tyla, this guy’s personality shows through in his singing. Love the part about Leslie-Anne Downe, very funny delivery.

Heartbreak

I fell in love when i fell down the stairs
    into the arms of a girl that really cared
    she picked me up and she gave me some wine
    she said, come on let’s go out and have a real good time

an I’m thinkin’ where did she come from
    with her heartbreak wine

we bummed a lift got us into town
    I said you remind me of Lesley-Ann Downe
    She said, who is shе, what does she do
    I said, it doesn’t mattеr now just keep being you

with her heartbreak wine

that girl’s gone an broken my heart
    that girl’s left me with a broke
    a broken heart

with her heartbreak wine

4. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Comfort of the Devil: ....just because it’s a fun little jam!

COMFORT OF THE DEVIL

I found myself in the comfort of the southern again
    Hell is coming to breakfast, you better make some s***e
    The devil runs his fingers down the spine of fate
    Grins at me with a smile that spells out hate
    Spins his chamber of his gun
    There's only one soul loaded for fun
    Much more fun

It's much more fun, much more fun
    Much more fun, much more fun
    In the comfort of the devil again

Slides his pistol of sin over to me
    I c*** the trigger, close my eyes and I count to three
    I squeeze tight wham, bam, bang, oh, dear me
    What do you say we make it best of three
    Spins his chamber of his gun
    There's only one soul in it for fun
    Much more fun
    It's much more fun, much more fun
    Much more fun, much more fun
    In the comfort of the devil again

5. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

6. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

i have been silently hoping that Time Song gets the nod. It got my vote on both lists. Disarmingly simple on the surface but very deep and complex when a closer look is taken. Never heard it before this thread, now its a top tier favorite.

Also, I voted for Rosemary Rose as well. Love the others too, but not to the level of getting my vote.

7. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

:D
    I feel the same :p

8. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

that made me laugh out loud! thanks!

9. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this band @markelis. I had never heard of them before. I really like this type music. Yes, Stonsey for sure. Like a combo of glam, sleezey, bluesy rock. They remind me a bit of GnR, Hanoi Rocks, Lords Of New Church, TRex, Cinderella, Tesla, 70's Aerosmith, Mott Hoople, Rose Tattoo, Izzy Stradlin Solo. Not so much the voice but overall vibe, generally speaking. Certain parts or aspects remind me of parts of these bands. Nice find for me! Thanks Man!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  10. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Free time Sunday again! Luv this version

11. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Let's see…

I used to think Something Else had its chances, I'm now convinced either VGPS or Arthur will get the prize. Easy.

We still have 28 songs to go, right ?

I count three more songs from singles, that should definitely make it. Perhaps four. And probably a couple more from the outtakes/EP contingent.

Then, from each LP:

Kinks = has one for now. I expect one more.

Kinda Kinks = has two. That should be it.

Kontroversy = has one. I expect at least one more.

Face to Face = has four. I’d say it’s a wrap.

Something Else= has five. I’d think three more will come. A come back is still possible.

VGPS = has nine. I expect one more at least. Will be hard to beat…

Arthur = already has five. I’d bet on two more. Maybe three. Will be a good runner up.

Lola = five already. Two more seem likely.

Percy = Two for now. Should definitely get one more.

Muswell = Has four. One more is (almost) certain. I hope for an extra one but wouldn’t bet on it.

Showbiz = The two big ballads are in. I expect one more. And still hope for another.

Act 1 = three in the box. Another one to go.

Act 2 = zero + zero = la tête à toto (@The late man will explain)

Soap Opera= one for now. I hope for two more in the near future.

Schoolboys= We got one already. Three more could be on the way.

Sleepwalker : one so far. I think it’ll stay that way.

Misfits = we got one. Two more contenders.

Low Budget = already two. Another two wouldn’t be a surprise.

Give the people : one so far. That should be it.

State of confusion = we got one. I think two more will come.

Word of Mouth = Zero. But two should make it in the end.

Think Visual = one. And that’s it, I’m afraid @ARL.

UK Jive = I expect just one.

Phobia = we got one, and I have hopes (delusional ?) for one more.

That’s (at least) five too many for this stupid prediction of mine to mean anything! :eek::rolleyes:
    Nevertheless, with nine songs already secured, it's safe to guess that VGPS will be the winner. So much for the "this album is more than the sum of its parts» theory!! The parts seem to do pretty well for themselves in this kountdown situation, too…

12. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

On the LP side i rate Arthur first then TKATVGPS but that said i voted for more individual tracks from the latter.

13. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Put me down as someone else who thanks you for bringing Dogs d'Amour to our attention. I'll certainly add the Dogs to my Apple rock playlist though I'm not sure how the Franglaise of their name will go over with our French Avids. :D I love the 70s Stonesy vibe but I'm relieved they don't try to sound just like the Stones. I've also made efforts over the years to tap into new bands with a Stonesy feel - going out of my way to find albums by The Temperance Movement (another UK band) and Rival Sons, though I'll admit both of those bands veer more towards Free than the Stones.
    I really like this first selection because it gets out of our Kinks Komfort zone. When it comes to "new" artists,the more variety the better as far as I'm concerned. :righton:

14. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

15. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

Dogs D’Amour

Thank you sir, they are no longer just a name to me. If I had to describe it to someone, Faces on steroids maybe, but without the benefit of multiple vocalists. I would say the single vocalist format would be my main criticism. Best thing for me is the guitars, I like the wailing slide a la Rose Tattoo, and I hear some other good things in these tracks. At one point someone is using a high-strings guitar (the top strings of a 12), always a favorite sound for me.

Also, kudos for going with something outside The Kinks' familiar stomping grounds. At some point along the way, the lyrics were bugging me with too many cliched rhymes (arms/charms, wife/life). Early to mid-80s hard rock is not usually covered in my listening territory, and I don't think I'll be adding them to my piles any time soon, but it was great to be able to check 'em out at the recommendation of a fan. Thanks again!

16. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Well, Avid Markelis did a good job in pleading his case for Dogs D’Amour. Now it’s my turn and I hope I can do at least half as well as him.

When this idea first came about, there were two acts, both of which I previously championed in these pages, that I had in mind. One was Martin Newell/Cleaners From Venus, who I feel has continued the legacy of Ray Davies in his own low fi manner and who several of our Avids has already known about. The other act is someone who I personally known for the past 25 or so years and has been a mainstay of the Boston music scene for 40 years now. He is the heir of the wild 1950s R&B style of Little Richard while frequently going to other genres with equal enthusiasm and gusto in the 18 or so albums that he has put out, the most recent being last October. He has performed all around the world, including places where our foreign Avids live, so they have a half decent shot of seeing him live. Not only is he a great singer, he’s also a great person, very knowledgeable about all forms of popular music. In fact after lunch today, I’ll be going to a record store trip to Gloucester, MA with him, which is always a great time. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you BARRENCE WHITFIELD!!!!

17. DISKOJOE

Since Avid Markelis did 5 songs, I’ll do 5 songs too, to try to show the range of his talent.
    First off, here’s a live version of his signature song “Stop Twisting My Arm” (Avid Massholes may notice Charles Laqunderia in the beginning):

18. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Good calls here Steve62!i agree, they are definitely not stones clones, I just thought that would be a good element of their music to emphasize to introduce them to our group because they do have that bluesy laid back swagger, and we have a fair bunch of Stones fans here.

Rival Sons is anther big fave of mine. they definitely have that the Free sound and i would call them very zeppish too! love the way lead guitarist Scott Haliday plays his leads, he always sounds like the guitar is about to leap right out of his hands its so on FIRE! Pressure and Time is THE album from them (...or at least thats where i would start).

Temperance Movement was the bomb! Never thought i would meet ANYONE else that knew them. Yes, they fit the Dogs/Stones groove quite well too. Loved the singer's voice. He is another Tyla, his substance abuse issues sadly broke them up.

19. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Right on The MEZ! I agree with the Hanoi Rocks, Cinderella, Tesla, and 70's Aerosmith assessment, and especially the Izzy solo (aka GNR but stonsyier, since in my estimation Izzy was the stonesy element to GnR and that comes out so much more on his solo stuff (Axl was the Elton/Queen component, Duff the punkier side, and Slash brought the Zep).

20. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Too funny , :laugh:.

21. DISKOJOE

In the mid 1990s, Barrence made two albums with Tom Russell, which showed that he could go beyond the “Ow,Ow,Ow” sound and really sing. I especially recommend them to those Avids who are into the Americana genre. Here’s one of my favorites, a cover of The Band’s “Daniel and The Sacred Harp”:

22. DISKOJOE

Here’s Barrence doing a song called “Muck, Muck”, from his Sun Ra tribute album. Great cover, don’t you think?:

23. DISKOJOE

Here’s Barrence doing “Kerosene Man” by Steve Wynn from one of his more obscure albums, one that he did with a guitarist from Catalonia named Petti:

24. DISKOJOE

Finally, here’s a song from the latest Barrence Whitfield and the Savages album Glory, called “Killing Time”, which isn’t the Kinks song. I hope that you enjoyed my little presentation. I believe that most, if not at least some of Barrence’s catalogue is available via streaming and you’ll find lots of great live performances on YouTube. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed my presentation:

25. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Great live version. Thank you for sharing this.
    My favorite bands can usually play their stuff better live. The Kinks are a great example. Change it, stretch it it a little. Never play it the same twice. One thing that kept me pinned to this thread was the ongoing analysis of the kinks live work, people posting really great live versions of the recorded versions. i was downloading the live stuff all the way through and i have four different live playlists now of the kinks (how else can i have each of the at least 4 different great versions of YRGM, Celluloid, 20th Century etc.).

I recently did the same for Bruce Springsteen (after seeing him for the first time live this past year in Gothenberg Sweden. I was a moderate fan going into the show, but went with my buddy at his request, and i walked out blown away. Building a live Bruce playlist as a newbie and with all he has available to choose from in the way of live material would have been a real chore, since he has a million live concerts released and i can't spend the time listening sufficiently closely to cherry pick my way through (the way i did here over the course of three years with the Kinks). Fortunately for me, i found a guy who dedicated part of his Bruce site to analyzing and suggesting the very best concert version of each song he has played live, and i followed his lead to construct some crazy cool playlists.

My point, i would love some suggestions of the very best live Stones versions of particular songs if anyone has them. I am a deep diver on the stones, knowing pretty much all their stuff, but i never dug into the live stuff. This version of She's So Cold is a great example of what i would want, just a little more fire power brings the song to life and makes it that little extra special.