The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

For the next 5? days, we'll be going to a go go

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 14 others like this.
  2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

49 Apeman
    (#30 on my first list, up to #18 on my alternate list)
    As clever an escape song as ever was

48 Do It Again
    Looking back through my lists, I was shocked this wasn't on them. Inexplicable. I have no explanation. This was certainly not a deliberate omission. This should have been ranked for sure, probably even on the first list. My whole life feels out of order now. I must now spend the rest of the weekend listening to Arista in an attempt to reestablish balance and order in my universe.

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 23 others like this.
  3. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Okay, thanks for the offers but I think I can cobble together an introduction with what I've been able to find on youtube. Sorry for the alert, last minute jitters.

CORRECTION: We're on and I'll post tomorrow.

4. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I had “do it again” at 19 .

Sorry @donstemple about your pup

5. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

'Introducing' Sunday Music

REN

I've decided to showcase a reasonably new musician. One who made me change my perceptions on what music I would listen to. Ren Gill is a musician, who I discovered through a rap song. Rap - the sort of music I used to think began with an extra 'C' at the start. Anyway, this music challenged me, but eventually dragged me down a deep rabbit hole of an artist who has utilized and crossed genres of music and performance. Pop, Rock, Rap, Poetry, Visual.

The first track I stumbled across was called 'Hi Ren', after I read about on the front of a local newspaper on a news-stand when on holiday on Anglesey (Mon in Welsh), an island off the North coast of Wales. The article talked about a musician who hailed from a small village on the island, whose track 'Hi Ren' was gathering momentum online garnering several million views.

Ren - the Welsh musician attracting millions to his extraordinary music
    From the above article:
    'Welsh musician Ren doesn’t have a major label backing him, nor a big team of people promoting what he’s doing, yet he’s attracted millions to watch his music videos thanks to word of mouth and the sheer quality of his songwriting. He’s also in possession of a backstory that will stop you in your tracks. Since its release on YouTube two months ago, ‘Hi Ren’ – a song which has been described as a masterpiece, has amassed 6.8 million views. The nine minute video sees Ren in a wheelchair wearing a hospital gown, the lyrics giving a fascinating insight into his tortured relationship with a reproving voice inside his head.

Despite his talents Ren, who is from Anglesey, remains unsigned, citing on social media that he’s too ‘physically and emotionally unwell’ to commit to a label. He speaks candidly with fans about his battles with illness, autoimmunity and psychosis. “I spent years trying to get answers, bouncing from doctor to doctor, only for them to scratch their heads and leave me with a diagnosis of M.E.,” he says. “During this time I tried countless medical treatments, and when they failed, resorted to alternative health practitioners, spiritual healing practices and thousands of supplements, but just kept getting sicker and sicker. With each treatment that failed, my hope for a normal life would die a little more.”

Lyme disease misdiagnosed as M.E. has caused irreversible damage to Ren’s immune system. He developed PTSD, while brain damage misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder saw him passed between therapists and trialing myriad unnecessary antidepressants, ‘all the while getting worse and worse’. This drove Ren into a state of stress-induced psychosis. “My mind’s only rational explanation for the level of suffering I was enduring was that it was some kind of demonic intervention, or that I was part of some twisted experiment or study,” he says.

Writing about a place of such darkness has not been easy, but he takes inspiration from one of his heroes: ‘Nina Simone said it was an artist’s duty for their work to fearlessly reflect their life circumstances. I wanted my next piece of work to fearlessly stare my past in the face despite the trauma of doing so.’ Ren is currently receiving treatment in Canada and keeping fans up to date on his progress.

Before leaving for Canada – a trip two years in the making – Ren produced a wealth of content he could periodically release during his time in treatment. ‘Hi Ren’ is the first release from the album ‘Sick Boi’, with plans to release another in the second half of the year. Ren told fans, ‘The response to Hi Ren has been phenomenal. It was probably the most nervous I’ve been about releasing a track, but I was really proud about putting out something that felt like hopefully closing a chapter on one of the darker periods of my life.’

Following the success of Hi Ren, he has received offers to play Glastonbury and other major UK festivals.

“Gratitude isn’t a big enough word to express how I feel,” he says. “This kind of traction would usually only come with a major label and big teams of people promoting what I’m doing, but the fact it’s been done with no massive budgets, no songwriting teams, no corporate sponsors or regular radio placements feels incredibly rewarding.”

His 2016 album Freckled Angels was named in memory of Joe Hughes, who disappeared off the Menai Bridge in the early hours of December 28, 2010. Today the Menai Bridge restaurant Freckled Angel is one of Anglesey’s most acclaimed.'

Ren was signed to Sony records in 2010 where work began on his first album. That same year his best friend disappeared on Anglesey's Menai Bridge, which links the island with the Welsh mainland. His body was never found, and the event had a profound impact on Ren. Due to illness (described in the news article above), the album was not completed and he was released from the record contract. It was eventually self-released in 2016 called 'Freckled Angels'. Half the tracks were by his band Trick The Fox who were formed in Bath where he studied music performance at university.

Ren settled in the city of Brighton on England's South coast where in addition to solo work has been a member of the band The Big Push, a busking band, who have loads of videos on youtube with a wide range of cover songs, including 'I Shot The Sherriff', 'Paint It Black' and 'Praise You'. I guess these tracks show some of the musical influences of Ren, who has mentioned the likes of Hendrix and The Clash as some of the older influences.

Ren's music showcases storytelling, and in particular the darkly disturbing trilogy of songs detailing 'The Tale of Jenny and Screech' (2019) and 'Violet's Tale' (2022). This was released on CD, as were a further two compilations of demo tracks.

'Hi Ren' (which is not included on 'Sick Boi') was followed by several tracks from the new album released to youtube. For me, it is notable that these tracks are filmed with a live vocal performance, some with a single shot video.

'Sick Boi' was self-released in October 2023. It charted at Number 1 in the UK charts.

In January 2024, Ren and Samuel Perry-Falvey won Best Music Video, Best Director Music Video, and an Honourable Mention for Best Cinematography for the music video 'Money Game part 3', from the 'Sick Boi' album, at the International Music Video Awards. Ren is still in Canada receiving treatment.

I thought I'd gone beyond the stage of getting excited by new music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those stuck-in-the-past types and enjoy listening to new music, but Ren Gill is someone who really made me listen properly again. I think it is the storytelling, tied to the live performance and quite stunning videos which has made this musician into the one I've chosen to showcase here. It's certainly not The Kinks, but it is storytelling on that high storytelling mountain on which Raymond Douglas Davies stands close to the summit of.

I am aware this won't be for everyone, but please give it a go and persevere - this first selection is a long one. 'Hi Ren'. It is a live performance video.

6. CheshireCat

My second selection goes back to 2021. 'Chalk Outlines' is a duet with another unsigned artist, Chinchilla. This again, is a live performance video.

7. CheshireCat

Back to the most recent releases, this is a video from the number one 'Sick Boi' album. 'Animal Flow' was the release which followed 'Hi Ren'. and at first I thought, what on earth is this? But, like much of Ren's work, it has worked its way in. The video is filmed with one camera for the entire performance as Ren moves through various scenes, influenced by Orwell's Animal Farm. I think it's great. But weird.

There's an 'Apeman' in the video...

8. CheshireCat

I also want to show something from Ren's earlier career. This track, “Patience” from 2017 is a song written and performed by Ren Gill for the soundtrack of the Netflix documentary, Unrest, a movie about the effects of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, better known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

Gill was diagnosed with Lyme Disease and wrote “Patience” about life with the illness. Just Ren with acoustic guitar.

9. CheshireCat

A fifth selection is a lengthy, tragic story set in a dark dangerous London. There is swearing.
    Three live performance videos telling the full tale of Jenny, Screech and Violet. Mesmerising performances.

I hope you enjoy my selection for this Sunday.

10. mark winstanley

It has been stunning to me how many tracks I somehow missed.... and I tried to be so thorough.....
    and now I have a picture of Julianne Moore in my head lol

11. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

I can certainly think of worse images to be stuck with!

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wow! Riveting.

13. mark winstanley

I'm going to poke my nose into this one.

In an age of digitally programmed sequencers and synths and drum machines (not that there is anything in particular wtomg with that) one of the things I greatly appreciate about Ren is his constant flow of primarily one take, live to tape videos of his songs... he has kind of made it his thing.

Even if you aren't enjoying the song, watch this video and performance as a piece of art...

This seems to be the pinnacle, do far, of the one take live performance videos.

Money Game part 3

The still is nothing to do with the video

14. mark winstanley

I shot the sherrif

15. CheshireCat

I'd just realised I'd not posted 'Money Game Part 3', and rushed back to add it. It's stunning.

16. mark winstanley

Sorry.

17. mark winstanley

A write up I did on Hi Ren, for anyone interested

--------

Hi Ren.

It's unusual that so many folks claim there is no good, interesting or worthwhile music being made these days, when something as stunning as this track comes out, and everyone seems to ignore it.

On youtube this young man is blowing up, but on a music forum it appears nobody wants to even know... it's odd.

First lets look at the video. I believe the video was edited once...
    We have three set cameras for the majority of the song, and then at the ending crescendo one of the cameras is lifted from the tripod and moves into an intimate handheld mode.

The set up for the video is quite simple. We have a somewhat grungy looking room, and two lamps.

The opening scene of the video is a guy in a pig mask and bloodstained scrubs wheeling out a guy in a wheelchair. The guy in the wheelchair has a nylon string acoustic guitar, or classical/Spanish guitar if you prefer.

I believe that the opening scene is to get the viewers/listeners attention.... but it could also speak to the fact the young guy, Ren, was misdiagnosed for years. He was told he had several things and had medications shoved down his throat, when he actually had contracted Lyme disease. That misdiagnosis, and failure to treat the actual problem resulted in a lot of issues for him, so it would be understandable for him to feel like the medical establishment were butchers and pigs.... but that is a sideline, as the song hasn't even started yet. It is merely a scene setter.

Many have commented that the opening sequence brings to mind something dark like Saw or even Hostel..... and the content is quite dark in some regards, but not in that way.

So to the song....

One thing to note, particularly in this day and age.
    This is one live take. It was the third attempt I believe.
    Anyone familiar with music would be able to see fairly quickly that this is a straight live performance.

We open with a beautiful, and aggressive, D minor arpeggio construction, and it works pretty much as a scene setter.
    Over the course of this intro we get some really beautiful melodic twists, and dynamic shifts, and it crescendos into an ascending diminished chord run....
    When we get to the lyrical content and the idea behind the song, the diminished chords, and the ascending and descending runs will really start to make sense.

The ascending run comes to a ritard, and we move into a nice plucked Dm chord.
    At this point we get a staccato vocal melody that seems to catch many people off guard ...

This song isn't just a song. It is a song, a poem, a theatrical play, a statement....
    This opening is somewhat like an overture to a grand opera.
    It is short and sweet, and after the initial surprise of its entry, it also actually makes perfect sense... and again, this is live, and a difficult style and arrangement to sing, particularly the second part with the half steps at the beginning.

Now I know some people aren't too enamoured with rap, but this is less a rap, than a dialogue inside one's own mind. So forget about pointlessly labelling the next section as rap, because that is really a poor observation of what is going on here.

So our first character comes in....

"Hi there Ren
    Its been a little while,
    Did you miss me?
    You thought you'd buried me, didn't you? Risky...
    Because I always come back
    Deep down you know that...
    Deep down you know I'm always in periphery
    Ren aren't you pleased to see me?
    It's been weeks since we spoke bro, you know you need me
    You're the sheep, I'm the shepherd
    Not your place to lead me
    Not your place to be biting off the hand that feeds me"

This voice is the voice of the shadow - or dark side - the voice of doubt - negativity - devil on the shoulder ... however you want to label it.
    Yes we are having a conversation in the depths of our own mind.... and I'm pretty confident most people will be very familiar with this scenario, to varying degrees we all get this.

Notice that when the shadow figure speaks, the two lamps both flicker, and turn on and off. It represents the chaos that this internal voice brings to the party. The destabilizing force.

" Hi Ren
    I've been taking some time to be distant
    I've been taking some time to be still
    I've been taking some time to be by myself
    Since my therapist told me I'm ill
    I've been making some progress lately,
    And I've learnt some new coping skills
    So I haven't really needed you much man
    I think we need to just step back and chill"

When watching and listening to this. Notice that the shadow voice speaks to the left. The shadow voice is excitable and brash, sarcastic, aggressive.
    Also notice that the shadow voice has a more aggressive attack on the guitar and a lower fret position.

These lines though are from the self. The core of the person... One could suggest it is the angel on the other shoulder but a few lines later on suggest that isn't the case.

This first speech from the self are reasonably confident, but calm, mellow. The guitar plucking is gentle, single notes, and higher on the fretboard. a much lighter feel, a sense of grace.

So in the opening verse we have the shadow voice stating that "hey I'm still here"
    More importantly though "You thought you'd buried me" and the important "Risky"
    I don't know anyone else's experiences here, but burying an emotion or any other part of who we are is extremely risky, because at some point it is coming out.

The self gently rebukes the shadow. "I'm going well, and I don't need you here. I think you should step back"

The shadow retorts
    "Ren, you sound more insane than I do
    You think that those doctors are really there to guide you?
    Been through this a million times
    Your civilian mind is so perfect at always being lied to
    Okay, take another pill boy
    Drown yourself in the sound of white noise
    Follow this 10 step program, rejoice!
    All your problems will be gone! F***ing dumb boy"

Trying to infuse doubt in the self. Trying to undermine the stability of the self.... and it is a little more aggressive and a little more sarcastic. Carefully picking the scabs of doubt in the self.

The self, defense
    " Nah mate, this time it's different man trust me
    I feel like things might be falling in place
    And my music's been kinda doing bits too
    Like I actually might do something great
    And when I'm gone maybe I'll be remembered
    For doing something special with myself
    That's why I don't think that we should talk man
    Cause when your with me it never seems to help"

Again we get this gentle defense. We get a rationale of why things are looking good.... but

The Shadow
    "You think that you can amputate me?
    I am you, you are me, you are I, I am we
    We are one, split in two that makes one so you see
    You got to kill you if you wanna kill me.
    I'm not left over dinner, I'm not scraps on the side,
    Oh your music is thriving? Delusional guy!
    Where's your top ten hit? Where's your interview with Oprah?
    Where are your grammys Ren?
    Nowhere!"

Here the shadow kicks back hard
    You can't get rid of me without killing yourself....
    This is a huge mental health issue. In the first retort by the shadow he suggests that the self is misguided to follow any advice but that of the shadow. To not take any medication, and not follow any advice given by the doctors... just to listen to the shadow.
    Here the shadow tries to taunt the self into suicide as the only solution.
    Then the shadow goes on the attack demeaning the self's music aspirations as folly. Essentially cutting down the thing that gives the self hope of a worthwhile future.

The Self
    "Yeah but, my music's not commercial like that
    I never chased numbers, statistics or stats
    I Never write hooks for the radio, they never even play me
    So why would I concern myself with that?
    But my music is really connecting,
    And the people who find it respect it,
    And for me that's enough 'cause this life's been tough
    So it gives me a purpose I can rest in"

The self responds calmly again, but we start to notice that the confidence is starting to wain somewhat, and in this wonderful piece of acted, dramatic music we see the body language of the self shrinking with each passing conversation between the two.
    Again, the self states some pretty straight forward facts really. Stating that the small amount of success he has had is giving rest to his soul.
    It is therapeutic for him.

The Shadow
    "Man you sound so pretentious!
    Ren your music is so self centred,
    No one wants to hear another song about
    How much you hate yourself... trust me
    You should be so lucky having me inside you to guide you,
    Remind you to manage expectations,
    Provide you perspective, that thing you neglected, I get it
    You wanna be a big deal... Next Jimi Hendrix? forget it"

Again we get this sarcastic scorn that the self could possibly have anything to offer the world.
    Absolutely destroying the spirit of the self .

When watching the video, notice that the exclamation of "Forget It" comes out when Ren's head is facing forward. It is possible that that is merely just how it happened, as this must have been incredibly difficult to do.... but it is also very possible that the forget it coming out in between the two characters could well portray the idea that the shadow is starting to convince the self ...

Then we get this really solid rapid fire back and forth

The Self
    "Man it's not like that"

The Shadow
    "Man it's just like that I'm inside you you tw*t"

The Self
    "Nah it's not man your wrong, when I write I belong"

Here the shadow goes into full assault mode
    "Let me break the fourth wall by acknowledging this song
    Ren sits down,
    Has a stroke of genius,
    He wants to write a song that was not done previous
    A battle with his subconscious...
    Eminem did it"

The Self - defense
    "Played On Guitar"

The Shadow
    "Plan B did it
    Man your not original you criminal, rip off artist,
    The pinnacle of your success is stealing other people's material
    Ren mate we've heard it all before
    Ohh "she sell sea shells on the sea shore""

That last quote is, I believe, from an Eminem rap battle ... 8 Mile? (not sure it's been a while since I saw it.

But we see the shadow picking the sensitive points and tearing down the self in a brutal assault aimed at ruining the self's esteem.

So now the self replies, and it is a hurt defensive tone now. The shadow is slowly picking apart the self, and the cracks are beginning to show.
    In fact the self becomes desperate and overstates his defense, giving the shadow more material to work with.
    "F**k you I don't need you, I don't need to hear this,
    Cause I'm fine by myself, I'm a genius!
    And I will be great, and I will make waves
    And I'll shake up the whole world beneath us"

The Shadow
    "That's right speak your truth,
    Your f***ing god complex leaks out of you
    It's refreshing to actually hear you say it!
    Instead of down play it...
    "Oh the music Is all about the creative process
    And if people can find something to relate to
    Within that then that's just a bonus""

Here the shadow just turns the whole conversation on its head and rips the ground out from under the self ....
    ending the assault with the "creative process" trope delivered in ultimately a hyper sarcastic voice full of derision.

When the music conversation starts essentially we have the whole scenario of the Imposter Syndrome playing out. Self doubt starts to grow into something bigger as the accusations mount, and the self moves into hyper defensive mode.

The Self under the weight of accusation succumbs to the pressure
    "F**k you ima f***ing kill you Ren"

The Shadow taunts back
    "Well f***ing kill me then
    Let's f***ing have you Ren"

The Self gets trapped into the corner created
    "I'm a do it, watch me prove it, who are you to doubt my music?
    'Cause I call the shots I choose if you die
    Yeah I call the shots and so i who choose who survives
    I'll tie you up in knots then I'll lock you inside"

The thing about this section (and the whole thing really)Is just how well it is acted out.
    You can see the conflict and the self-destruct button on the self ready to be pushed...

Then we take a turn ...
    There are a couple of ways of hearing this section really.
    This is either the shadow or an outside evil entity... and at this stage I haven't decided which way I fall on that.
    but the real point is whichever it is sees that it has created a weak spot, and it decides to drive home the advantage in a hail of negative dominance.

" News flash...
    I was created at the dawn of creation,
    I am temptation
    I am the snake in Eden,
    I am the reason for treason
    Beheading all kings, I am sin with no rhyme or reason
    Sun of the morning, Lucifer, Antichrist
    Father of lies, Mestophales
    Truth in a blender, deceitful pretender
    The banished avenger, the righteous surrender
    When standing in front of my solar eclipse
    My name, it is stitched to your lips, so you see
    I won't bow to the will of a mortal, feeble and normal
    You wanna kill me? I'm eternal, immortal
    I live in every decision that catalyzed chaos
    That causes division
    I live inside death, the beginning of ends
    I am you, you are me, I am you, Ren!"

You can read this as biblical, or you can read it as a list of negative influences. Influences that have been around since the dawn of creation.

Now, when I listen to this I have been torn between whether the last word was Ren, or Friend...
    Here it says Ren... Which does make sense...
    If it is Friend .. that could also make sense, almost like an invitation to embrace all that is negative.

Musically it beautifully reflects the mood of the lyric.
    We get an ascending chromatic pattern, that builds the tension and in the middle there is this really nice rolling back and forth riff, that resolves into a big fat power chord I'm eternal Immortal and another ascending chromatic run that morphs into this crazy ascending slide back and forward with I think another diminished chord.
    It represents the chaos in the mind in a pretty stunning way, for one guy with a nylon string acoustic playing live.

Then we roll into a gentle, almost reflective descending diminished triad set up, and again it manages to create the feeling of a deep breath.... as the self gathers their thoughts.

"Hi Ren… I’ve been taking some time to be distant
    I’ve been taking some time to be still
    I’ve been taking some time to be by myself and I've spent half my life ill
    But just as sure as the tide starts turning
    Just as sure as the night has dawn
    Just as sure as the rainfall soon runs dry when you stand in an eye of a storm
    I was made to be tested and twisted
    I was made to be broken and beat
    I was made by His hand, it's all part of His plan that I stand on my own two feet
    And you know me, my will is eternal
    And you know me, you've met me before
    Face to face with a beast, I will rise from the east and I'll settle on the ocean floor
    And I go by many names also
    Some people know me as hope
    Some people know me as the voice that you hear when you loosen the noose on the rope
    And you know how I know that I'll prosper?
    'Cause I stand here beside you today
    I have stood in the flames that cremated my brain and I didn't once flinch or shake"

We open with a repeat of the first reply in the song, spoken in the kind of calm one only gets after really collecting oneself after a major ordeal.
    Initially he is just playing the root bass note on the guitar, and it really creates a beautiful dynamic drop after the frenzied assault of negativity.
    But again we have a change, as the resolve and understanding kick in.

In spite of all these things
    I know the tide will turn
    I know the dawn will break to erase the darkness

Then we get this beautiful and realistic line, that I really love
    "Just as sure as the rainfall soon runs dry when you stand in an eye of a storm"
    We know life is somewhat of a storm, and it is best faced from the eye, not hidden outside.
    We're made to ride storms.

Then we get another possible biblical reference, and I find it hard to see it any other way..
    We were made to be tested and broken, made by His hand, it's part of His plan that
    "I Stand On My Own Two Feet"

The next section is also somewhat biblical in nature, and one could see it as a revelation reference...
    But in the context of the song.
    "I will rise in the East" - the sun rises in the east
    and the Shadow stated that the righteous will surrender in the face of his "solar eclipse"
    but here we have the reverse idea the sun will rise and your eclipse is but a passing distraction.

We also had the shadow list its names of power (if you want to look at it that way)
    and now we get
    "And I Go By Many Names Also"
    "Some People Know Me As Hope"
    and as he says this, Ren addresses the camera directly for the first time... the internal battle is under control, and he grabs the cameras attention as if to push hope through it, to the people he knows are struggling in the world....
    then the absolutely chilling
    "Some People Know Me As The Voice that You Hear When You Loosen The Noose On The Rope"

This builds and builds. It is an extremely powerful piece of work.
    It builds to the point and suddenly this spoken word story bursts into a beautiful powerful sung vocal, and the way that comes in, it takes the intensity to the next level, and I have found for many, due to the depth and intensity of the song, it is almost an emotional breaking point for the listener...

"So cower at the man I've become
    When I sing from the top of my lungs
    That I won't retire, I'll stand in your fire
    Inspire the meek to be strong
    And when I am gone, I will rise
    In the music that I left behind
    Ferocious, persistent, immortal like you
    We’re a coin with two different sides"

Here we have Hope break into song... and this is essentially a battle between Despair and Hope, played out in the mind of a single person... as it does every day, and has done, and will continue to do.

"Cower at the Man I've become"
    As hope lifts me above your accusations and despair
    "When I sing at the Top Of My Lungs"
    rejoicing in the strength the testing gave us.

then we have
    "And when I am gone, I will rise
    In the music that I left behind"
    What is the legacy we will leave behind...

Then we have the straight truth that Despair and Hope wrestle eternally in the minds of humans. the coin with different sides.

Then we move into the ever growing dynamic, after a tacet, and the opening melody is sung again as a rejoicing in the heart of the battle...

Then after all of this intensity we get a descending pattern moving into a ritard that remains unresolved... again it's just brilliant writing.

But we get our guy stop, put his guitar down ... and he turns and addresses the camera directly again, in close up.... to share his story in a poetic way
    "When I was seventeen years old, I shouted out into an empty room, into a blank canvas, that I would defeat the forces of evil
    And for the next ten years of my life I suffered the consequences...
    With autoimmunity illness, and psychosis

As I got older, I realized there were no real winners and there were no real losers in psychological warfare
    But there were victims and there were students
    It wasn’t David versus Goliath, it was a pendulum
    Eternally swaying from the dark to the light
    And the more intensely that the light shone, the darker the shadow it casts

It was never really a battle for me to win, it was an eternal dance
    And like a dance, the more rigid I became, the harder it got
    The more I cursed my clumsy footsteps, the more I struggled

So I got older
    And I learned to relax, and I learned to soften, and that dance got easier

It is this eternal dance that separates human beings from angels, from demons, from gods
    And I must not forget, we must not forget, that we are human beings"

This is a really beautifully balanced calm and assuring voice. Spoken clearly and honestly.

A couple of things to notice.
    Initially he roughly describes the actual real life trials this young man faced.

Then we get - "As I Got Older"
    We get the idea that we can choose to be a victim or a student of life.
    We get the beautiful picture of the pendulum of life moving from darkness to light.
    We get the beautiful picture of life being a sort of dance, and when we are stiff and rigid, this dance is made harder.

Then we get - "So I Got Older"

He mentions getting older twice.... there have been references to the dark thoughts than can drive people to suicide.
    He is enforcing the point that you will get older and if you act as a student of life, you will find this dance easier.

In the last statement he very intentionally uses the term "Human Beings"... twice
    The point being that we need to remember who we are. In remembering that, we should also remember that we are all going through this battle, and whatever someone's beliefs, life is certainly a battle... in remembering these things, we may be kinder to each other.

This is most certainly an anti-suicide song, and I think it carries itself well in that regard.
    It addresses the mental health issues, spiritual war issues in a very direct, raw, honest way ... and even moreso, he is completely transparent with a live recording.

Looking around a little, I have seen young folks talking about this, literally saying "this is like the Bohemian Rhapsody of our generation .. And although Ren is a completely independent artist, who up until late December, very few people knew of.... now Hi Ren has millions of views, and a seemingly ever growing following.

To me this is a deep profound look at the interior of the human mind, from someone who has directly and clearly had a serious battle with psychosis during the depths of his illness.... and this song in itself is pretty much proof of the pudding of the point that the song itself is making.

Frankly I love it

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This rawness reminds me of someone else, just for a moment…something…damn, can’t think. But I love this.

19. CheshireCat

No problem, it's saved me the effort, and has ensured I only posted the allocated five tracks too!

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Error message. Doesn’t play

21. CheshireCat

It does on this side of the Atlantic. Perhaps search it directly in youtube? ren chalk outlines - YouTube

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

That first one will blow your mind. Incredible, really.

23. mark winstanley

Probably the same one lol

24. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

OMG Hi Ren is RADICAL. I really love it. Can't wait to hear the other tunes. Brilliant.

@donstemple, so sorry about your dog.

I didn't have either of today's songs on my list. But I don't want to die in a nuclear war, either.

I'll post my artist later tonight.

25. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I had Apeman at number 23 on my secondary list after it didn’t quite make the first. Again I like the “Chuck Berry” alternate version best. I didn’t rank Do It Again. My favorite thing about it is the video with Ray and Mick. It’s a good song but Ray has written about repitition so many times it’s, well, repetitious.