The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah. He has been following along the entire countdown. He usually posts several times a day and is also on other threads daily. No word from him in a week. Hope you are ok @The MEZ!

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 17 others like this.
  2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

I had both tunes today. Good Times at 3 and Don’t Forget at 27. I have no idea how many I have from the current countdown. I haven’t been keeping track.

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 16 others like this.
  3. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

Me too @The MEZ

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 14 others like this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I clicked on his avatar earlier today, wondering the same thing (to see if he’s been posting elsewhere. Nope.).

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 15 others like this.
  5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah, I also looked up his profile because I was wondering where he went. This is the problem with making friends on a forum. We don't know who anyone is! I don't think I will find any info by googling "The Mez, Connecticut", and if something happens to me you will also not find any information by looking up palisantrancho. :laugh:

It's always disconcerting when someone suddenly disappears from the forum without any announcement.

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 17 others like this.
  6. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Don't Forget to Dance - unranked by me. Wasn't in consideration. Lovely sounding tune. Lovely sentiments. But I like the fast ones (mostly), so it would have to be extra special for me to have it on my list.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone? - unranked by me. I do like the guitar sound in it. BUT I do think the song sort of plods along. No hooks to reel me in, I'm afraid. Also I think I knew this song from the Van Halen cover of it first, and that for me, really drags it down. So blame Van Halen!!:laugh:

7. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I love Where Have All the Good Times Gone. It's so The Kinks: hard rocking but with a clever lyric; well-played but on the sleazy edge of sloppiness. No wonder it was a live staple.
    Don't Forget to Dance is a bit too sentimental for my taste these days. Yet I know every word and nuance in the song because I've played it a lt over the years.

8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

You're right, Avid The MEZ hasn't been on here since February 26. I hope he's doing OK.

The MEZ, markelis, StefanWq and 15 others like this.
  9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

This was my original kinks top 40

1 stop your sobbing
    2 you really got me
    3 a rock n roll fantasy
    4 dedicated follower of fashion
    5 lincoln county
    6 all day and all of the night
    7 only a dream
    8 just can't go to sleep
    9 come dancing
    10 too much on my mind
    11 scattered
    12 misfits
    13 hold my hand
    14 lola
    15 strangers
    16 living on a thin line
    17 muswell hillbilly
    18 days
    19 misty water
    20 celluloid heroes
    21 this man he weeps tonight
    22 better things
    23 low budget
    24 waterloo sunset
    25 creeping jean
    26 the village green preservation society
    27 i need you
    28 tired of waiting for you
    29 love me till the sun shines
    30 till the end of the day
    31 picture book
    32 don't forget to dance
    33 i'm not like everybody else
    34 drift away
    35 wall of fire
    36 do it again
    37 where have all the good times gone
    38 berkeley mews
    39 susannah's still alive
    40 destroyer

10. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

45 Don't Forget To Dance
    Unranked by me, but for sure a lovely song. A bit too similar to Misfits, and I prefer that one over this, and that’s the one I ranked.

44 Where Have All The Good Times Gone
    Unranked by me, but it is one of my favorites from Kontroversy. The digs at the Stones and the lads from Liverpool always make me laugh. Dave’s higher harmony(?) in the chorus is very distinctive and make this sound Thoroughly Kinky :D

11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I had Where Have All the Good Times Gone at Number 26 on my original list and Number 8 on my secondary one. I will freely admit that it was La Bowie's (and Ronson's) version that originally hooked me. I didn't have Don't Forget to Dance ranked but it's an excellent song.

BTW, I recall reading that there was extra work done on She's Got Everything shortly before the single release, so it makes sense that it sounds a bit like 1966 and a bit like 1968.

Here are the songs from my original Top Forty that have made our two lists so far and their eventual position:

1 Victoria - Arthur [6]
    2 Dead End Street - Single [7]
    3 Days -VGPS European Version [2]
    4 The Village Green Preservation Society - VGPS [10]
    5 Strangers - Lola vs Powerman [18]
    6 Oklahoma U.S.A. - Muswell Hillbillies [24]
    7 Waterloo Sunset - Something Else [1]
    8 Till the End of the Day - Kontroversy [27]
    9 Shangri-La - Arthur [4]
    10 This is Where I Belong - Single [90]
    11 I’m Not Like Everybody Else - Single [13]
    12 Village Green - VGPS [21]
    13 Sunny Afternoon - Face to Face [3]
    14 Muswell Hillbilly - Muswell Hillbillies [86]
    15 Tired of Waiting For You - Kinda Kinks [33]
    17 20th Century Man - Muswell Hillbillies [16]
    18 You Really Got Me - Kinks [8]
    19 Mr. Churchill Says - Arthur [82]
    20 Dedicated Follower of Fashion - Single [32]
    21 Alcohol - Muswell Hillbillies [56]
    22 All Day and All of the Night - Kinda Kinks [12]
    23 God’s Children - Percy [55]
    24 A Well Respected Man - Kwyet Kinks [36]
    25 Holiday - Muswell Hillbillies [98]
    26 Where Have All the Good Times Gone? - Kontroversy [44]
    27 Low Budget - Low Budget [87]
    28 Berkeley Mews - Single [60]
    29 Death of a Clown - Something Else [29]
    30 Autumn Almanac - Single [5]
    31 Sitting in My Hotel - Everybody's in Show-Biz [22]
    32 Harry Rag - Something Else [71]
    33 Celluloid Heroes - Everybody's in Show-Biz [11]
    34 Get Back in Line - Lola vs Powerman [35]
    35 Sweet Lady Genevieve - Preservation Act 1 [20]
    37 Lola - Lola vs Powerman [9]
    40 Scattered - Phobia [31]

36 of my Top Forty have made our Top 100. My number 16 song (left blank here) finished just out of the Top 100 in the original vote, and I thought it might place but has apparently sunk lower in this round. The three lower ranked blank ones on my list didn't come particularly close in that original vote, so I'm not holding out much hope for any of them at this point.

12. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

1/2 today for me.

Don’t Forget to Dance was #27 on my first list and #12 on my second list. This is a song that has gone up greatly in my appreciation as a direct result of this thread. It’s a lovely bittersweet song. Besides the actual narrative about a woman of a certain age, I also like it as a simple reminder to not give up on the simple joys of living.

Where Have All the Good Times Gone did not make my list, but would, if I was making a list of only the first era of the Kinks. It just has too much competition from what came after. It’s interesting that these two songs are paired today. Young Ray wondering where the good times have gone, needs to listen to his older self and remember to find the time to dance.

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

That's nice to hear as I have a very sweet copy of it.

14. All Down The Line

Yes but perhaps never too far away thoughts of the Lyceum figuratively stopped him from being able to?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  15. Someone-Else

Someone-Else Forum Resident

I had both today (or yesterday now). When I was making my first list on New Year's Eve afternoon I was in a melancholy/hopeful mood, asking both where all the good times had gone and what I love to do the most.

Today I don't have to worry 'bout a thing or wonder Where Have All The Good Times Gone: no. 12 in my first 40, right up to no. 2 in my next 40 (ranking engine wanted to push it lower, but I said no) - an early and forever favourite. Klassik.
    (If it's not too kontroversial, I will now konfess that in addition to both tracks that made the top 100, I also had I'm on an Island in my top/next 40. The World Keeps Going Round was in kontention, but got stuck tied for 41st.)

No confusion here, Don’t Forget to Dance belongs on my list too - waiting in the wings in my first 40, debuting at no. 13 the second time around.

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

17. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

=42 Living On A Thin Line
    367 points
    On 16 lists
    4 top 10

This came in at 96 on my big list.
    A great track, but I had six or seven Dave tracks above it

=42 Rock And Roll Fantasy
    367 points
    On 15 lists
    3 top 10

This was 34 on my original list, and I really expected it to make the top forty to be honest. With the recalibration for the second list it came in at 12.

18. mark winstanley

19. mark winstanley

20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I’ve said a bunch of times that A Rock ’n' Roll Fantasy is not one of my favorite Kinks songs. It's the one big seventies ballad by them that I find trying a little bit too much : not only trying to be the follow up to Celluloid Heroes (which it replaced for a short while in the live set, as @ajsmith would tell us if he wasn’t more pre-occupied by this beautiful podcast of his than by this wonderful Thread of ours!:wave:) but also trying to be a mega epochal hit ballad, a requiem for all things lost after the death of Elvis in particular and of the rock’n roll era in general. I don’t know why the song failed to cross-over, I think all the elements were in place to hit the sweet spot for the sixties buying public. I guess it kind of worked in the US (I see it climbed up to #30 in the billboard) but it didn’t even chart in the UK, which is a baffling mystery to me. So no, I haven’t ranked it myself but it’s a key Kinks song, especially when you realize that it works as a plea from Ray to Dave not to break up the band. And I would’ve been super sad if Dan the fan hadn’t been featured here. No serious all-encompassing Kinks list could be complete without him.

21. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Living On A Thin Line" just missed out on my first list, but came in at #28 on the second list. A Dave song for everyone, lacking the "bonkerz" factor but having strong potential for mass appeal.

"A Rock & Roll Fantasy" was one that I expected to see in the original top 40. It was #28 on my first list, and #12 on the second list. A great underappreciated Kinks epic.

So just two to go now? Either or both of "End Of The Season" and "No More Looking Back" stand to be the only songs from my original top 30 not to chart.

22. mark winstanley

1 to go

23. All Down The Line

:yikes: Really? :yikes:

24. All Down The Line

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I had Living on a Thin Line in 4th place because it's such a good song in its own right - and better than most of Ray's post-seventies songs in my opinion. I plonked A Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy at the other end of the 40, in 36th place. Others like it a lot more than I do but I can't begrudge it's high place on our collective list. And 40-something is a high ranking in a catalogue with so many high-quality songs.