The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

:love:

You've made wonderful cases for all of these songs, including those songs that didn't make your lists. :laugh:
    I'm tired right now, but I do want to give a good listen to this version you've presented to us of Australia. I'm excited. Believe me, I recall looking at the list of Kinks songs and considering it for my top 80. It's very worthy. For me this is a song you want to get comfy and just fall into. And sometimes I just don't have the bandwidth/attention span. But when I do, it hits hard. It is brilliant. Best "really long song" out there. By far.

as someone who had Johnny Thunder on both lists, I was a little verklempt that there wasn't more love for my Johnny. Also feel the same for Wicked Annabella. Love that lady. One of my fave Dave vocals ever.

And I will admit that the later songs you mentioned are victims of not having been in many of our minds for 40+ years. I've known most of them for 3-ish years. Maybe I will come around to them as Klassics, but not at the moment.

and all love to Mr Pleasant. I think I went with other songs that felt like Mr Pleasant.

2. Brian x

Brian x the beautiful ones are not yet born

You are completely right. Just went back on the thread (can't get it on spotify), listened again, and re-read our comments. I'd never heard it before this thread, and never since we reviewed it, but I absolutely love this tune, & it didn't enter my mind when I was making my list.

Another upvote for Mr. Pleasant, great song with wonderful backing vocals/harmonies that I also left off my list and am now kicking myself for... ouch.

ETA: Comparing the Pye era list to Kinks Kronikles and there's a fair amount of overlap....

3. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Band introduction – Split Enz

My choice of group to present here is New Zealand band Split Enz. I became interested in music in 1983 and they were among the very first groups I discovered. Over the years since, I’ve really gone deep down into this rabbit hole, buying everything I’ve been able to get my hands on – albums (many times over as well), singles, compilations, solo albums and side projects and new bands by its members, soundtrack albums to get otherwise unavailable tracks and so on.

It was also my being a fan of Split Enz which eventually led me to becoming a fan of The Kinks. In addition, it has led to important friendships with fellow fans and it was thanks to one of those friends I met my wife. So the music of Split Enz has enhanced my life in many, many ways.

Split Enz was founded in Auckland in 1972 by Tim Finn and Phil Judd. The band started out as an acoustic quintet who were determined to follow their own path. From the start, they only performed their own songs (no covers) which was unheard of for new groups in New Zealand at the time. In the early years, there were quite a few line-up changes and musically they kept re-inventing themselves, from acoustic quintet to an art-rock septet to new wave-ish pop and rock and several detours along the way. They also had a vision for the visual aspects, with one member designing the band’s unique stage costumes (new for each tour), directing all their video clips and painting/designing several of their album cover artworks.

Split Enz spent the ‘70s as a cult group, being highly respected in their native country and in Australia and making forays into the international market as well, without getting a major commercial breakthrough. This changed in 1980 when the single “I Got You” and its parent album True Colours both reached #1, and stayed there for weeks, on the charts in Australia and in New Zealand. They also became popular in Canada and enjoyed at least a bit more chart action in the States and the UK as well. In the early ‘80s, they were one of the biggest groups in Australia and New Zealand before disbanding in December 1984. Co-founder Tim Finn became a solo artist, his younger brother Neil Finn (who joined in 1977) started a new group, Crowded House, while other members also started new groups and would later release solo albums and so on.

In my presentation, however, I will focus specifically on Split Enz’s second album and the reason is that it is an album which was enjoyed by a certain someone we all love…

First off, it must be mentioned that the title for this second album is a bit of a complex story. Split Enz’s first album, titled Mental Notes, was released only in Australia and New Zealand in mid-1975 and has in fact never been released outside those countries. During the touring for that album, they among other things supported Roxy Music and that group’s guitarist Phil Manzanera became interested in them and offered to produce their next album. The band duly moved to London in April 1976 to further their career and have their second album produced by Phil Manzanera. They signed an international deal (excluding Australia and New Zealand) with Chrysalis Records and the second album was recorded in London and released in September 1976. It featured several re-recordings of tracks from the debut album plus a few new tracks. In Australia and New Zealand, their record company there released this album as Second Thoughts. Internationally, however, Chrysalis pretended that the 1975 debut album didn’t exist, so they also used the title Mental Notes and used the same cover painting (by co-founder Phil Judd) as the basis for its cover – however, after the debut album guitarist Wally Wilkinson had left the group and was replaced by sax/trumpet player Robert Gillies, and this line-up change was reflected in the new album cover. Plus Chrysalis put a pink candy-ish border around the original painting.

So, Split Enz’s second album was titled Second Thoughts in Australia and New Zealand and Mental Notes everywhere else.

Split Enz, this second album and me
    I had become a fan of Split Enz in August 1983. At first I was only a casual fan, but this changed when a new album was released in mid-1984, after which I became a more dedicated fan and began trying to track down copies of their previous albums. By that time, most of the previous albums had been deleted in Sweden and when I asked in record stores about them basically nobody knew who they were. In early 1986, I decided that the records that were missing from my collection must be out there somewhere, so I got the phone book and began phoning each and every record store in Stockholm (about 100+ at the time), in alphabetical order. The response was firmly negative – either they had never heard of Split Enz or didn’t have any of the records I was looking for – until I reached a store whose name started with W. They did have the Chrysalis 1976 edition of Mental Notes (i.e. the album which in Australia and New Zealand was released as Second Thoughts). It was like finding an unexpected treasure and as I was in my early teens and my pocket money was only enough to buy two albums (at most) per month, I had a lot of time to devote to this album. I loved it to bits then and I love it to bits now. (My friends at school thought it was really odd that I listened to a group which nobody had heard of here and bought records that were positively ancient – any record released before 1980 was considered unbelievably old.)

Split Enz and The Kinks
    In the biography about Split Enz, Stranger Than Fiction – The Life and Times of Split Enz, author Mike Chunn (who was the band’s original bassist from 1972 to 1977 and has remained close friends with the other members) frequently mentions The Kinks and how much they loved and were influenced by The Kinks. In early 1977, Split Enz was on their first U.S. tour, promoting the Chrysalis Mental Notes album (i.e. their second album, but promoted as their debut album in the States) and were about to do an industry showcase gig in Los Angeles. On page 120 in Mike Chunn’s book he describes what happened after the soundcheck for that gig:

“After soundcheck Tim [Finn] returned to the Hyatt and walked into the lift, where a gent with a London accent put out his hand and introduced himself.
    ‘Hi, I’m Ray Davies and I’m a fan.’
    Time stood still for the country boy [Tim Finn grew up in a small NZ town called Te Awamutu] as a flood of swift memories flashed by, those hours of Kinks songs pouring out of the radio and the uplifting, moving melodies burning in his brain. Davies spoke to Tim about how he liked the album and that he had friends, serious music lovers, who liked it too. He suggested to Tim that when he was next in London he look him up. Tim walked off to his room a few inches off the orange, purple and mauve carpet.”

So that is one motivation for me to zoom in on this particular Split Enz album in my presentation. (The book later mentions that Tim Finn and Split Enz’s keyboardist Eddie Rayner did have a meeting with Ray at Konk Studios in April/May 1978, after having been kicked out by Chrysalis and then themselves having fired their manager: “Post-Hopkins and Chrysalis, Tim and Ed set about garnering interest wherever they could. Tim recalled Ray Davies’ ‘Look me up some time’, and he and Ed spent awhile talking to the man at his Konk studios. Davies gave them a lift back to town in his limo and that was that. Tim and Ed decided that his support was encouraging but he would be of no direct help.”)

Split Enz, The Kinks and me
    Post-Split Enz, when Tim Finn became a solo artist and Neil Finn started Crowded House, I read a lot of interviews with them and in just about every interview they mentioned The Kinks as their biggest influence, alongside The Beatles. The Beatles I knew about (but mainly, at the time, the big hits) but The Kinks I knew nothing about. When I was at party in August 1989, MTV was on in the background and there was a brief news snippet about The Kinks’ 25th anniversary. I thought, “There’s that group that Tim and Neil are always talking about in interviews! I must check them out!”. So, when UK Jive was released soon after, I checked it out (figuring that if they were any good, the most recent album needed to be good too – and to my ears it is a great album) and well, here I am at this forum thread now.

One aspect which I think Split Enz and The Kinks share is the versatility, as in having songs in lots of different styles, never recording the same album twice, with each album by them having a unique character.

In March 1994, Crowded House appeared on the Canadian music TV show MuchMusic and Neil Finn was asked who he thought was the best-ever songwriter. He immediately replied, “Ray Davies!”.

I have a tour programme for a 2006 reunion tour that Split Enz and in it, each band member was asked about their favourite album and song. Tim Finn’s replies were Village Green Preservation Society and “Waterloo Sunset”.

So, with all that said, my band introduction will focus on Split Enz’s 1976 album, titled Mental Notes internationally and not to be confused with their 1975 debut album of the same title…

(For Avids who like me like to make playlists for the songs presented in our band introductions on Free-Form Sundays, this is the album the first four songs are from: Split Enz – Mental Notes (1976, Gatefold, Vinyl) - Discogs / Split Enz – Second Thoughts (1976, Vinyl) - Discogs. Not to be confused with the 1975 debut album: Split Enz - Mental Notes | Releases | Discogs)

4. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Split Enz - Walking Down A Road

Split Enz song #1 is the 1976 re-recording of “Walking Down A Road” which had first appeared on the 1975 debut album. I think this an epic song which really takes its listeners on a musical journey with several twists and turns. A big part of the 1976 re-recordings for me is the instrumentation, with Robert Gillies’ sax and trumpet playing adding a lot of colours.

The line-up for the first four tracks presented here were:
    Tim Finn – Lead vocals, piano on “Time For A Change”
    Phil Judd – Guitar, mandolin, co-lead vocals on “Titus”
    Eddie Rayner – Keyboards
    Robert Gillies – Sax, trumpet
    Noel Crombie – Percussion
    Mike Chunn – Bass, piano on “Titus”
    Emlyn Crowther – Drums

Walking Down A Road
    (Phil Judd / Tim Finn)

Walking down a road hedged with roses
    Time stands still forever
    Somewhere in the shadows hiding
    Sits an old man laughing

Talking to the wind I drank the beauty
    I found no time to count the hours
    Sometimes I get to thinking
    But it really don’t amount to much… no!

Windows shades are securely drawn
    Childish patter’s heard no more
    Papers left strewn upon the lawn
    And there’s nobody home next door, no
    I understand what you meant, when you said, I
    I should stay at home
    I understand what you thought
    When I left you on your own

I turned to my guide but just as I feared
    The preaching began so I… disappeared
    To a tiny door with a golden sign
    That magic place od great renown

Only lines, only rags for our blinds
    You know that bare boards and paper walls
    They don’t make any sense
    When there’s only time to kill

5. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Split Enz – Titus

Split Enz song #2 is the 1976 re-recording of “Titus” which had also originally appeared on the 1975 debut album. On the original version, the band didn’t have a horns player and a wimpy synthesizer attempted to do what the trumpet does on this magnificent version. I love the medieval, enigmatic feel of this song. From the first time I heard this song, I was really fascinated by it but baffled by the lyrics and what they might mean. In the above mentioned Split Enz biography by band member Mike Chunn, he writes that Phil Judd and Tim Finn were both influenced by Mervyn Peake’s Titus Groan / Gormenghast / Titus Alone books, a trilogy of fantasy novels published in the ‘50s. Intrigued, I went to the local library and borrowed these books, feeling that by reading them I would finally understand the song lyrics. Three thick fantasy novels later, I was none the wiser regarding the song lyrics though the books have that medieval, enigmatic feel as well (and just as I had decided that the novels take place in medieval times, in the third book the main character Titus leaves the Gormenghast castle and goes alone to a city – in a car…). Somebody pointed out that the lyrics have several references to chess pieces, but that didn’t make it any clearer what the lyrics are about. So – what are your interpretations?

Titus
    (Phil Judd)

I found myself in silver dreams
    I’m talking in my sleep to pawns and queens
    Outspoken words
    You know they just don’t mean the same thing
    Somebody must be kidding me
    Somebody must be lying to me

Oh please don’t tell me
    Which is red and which is black
    When are you coming back to me babe
    Oh when are you coming back to me babe

I saw myself in chequered lands
    I even dreamt I was a knight in command
    The bishop screamed “Don’t horse around, boy!”
    Somebody must be kidding me
    Somebody must be lying to me

And please don’t tell me
    I’m losing my way
    You promised me everything, now didn’t you babe?
    You promised me everything, now didn’t you babe?

6. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Split Enz - Late Last Night

Split Enz song #3 is “Late Last Night” which was in fact the first single released internationally and also the first track on the second album. It really sounds like nothing else in the Split Enz discography and I must admit to really disliking this track when I first heard it. I love it now so I’d say it’s a song which requires a few listens. It really surprises me that Chrysalis picked this particular song as the first single back in 1976 – it doesn’t really scream obvious hit single to my ears. But it is a great track and the video clip is very good too.

Late Last Night
    (Phil Judd)

I saw you standing there at the bar
    Your eyes were aglazed with passion
    A look of afar, a secret smile
    I blew a few kisses, said my name is Lyle

That love in her eyes
    Heart to heart
    A tender goodbye
    Nothing could ever keep us apart
    As you sipped your tequila
    I knew I had to steal ya
    Read like a book
    Surprised that you took your time
    Dig that rhyme

Gone, love took offence at the things I said
    Good advice would be to go to bed
    Rest my head, yeah
    Catch 40 winks
    While I dream about the things she said

Late last night, oh yeah, late last night
    She told me someone taught me everything I need to know
    Late last night, late last night
    She took my trembling hands and led me under the velvet sky
    Rolling on the hill top playing Jack and Jill
    Suddenly, suddenly all was still, she was gone

She seemed so aloof
    That’s ninety percent proof, with a lump in my throat
    I grabbed my coat and ran, cornered again
    So I’ll live for the moment and take it as an omen
    Got a weakness for the woman and the wine

7. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Split Enz - Time For A Change

Split Enz song #4 is the majestic “Time For A Change”. Again it is a song which was originally on the band’s 1975 debut album, but I think the 1976 re-recording produced by Phil Manzanera is a vast improvement, both in terms of instrumentation and the band members’ performances and Tim Finn’s vocals are much better on this version. The song was written by co-founder Phil Judd in 1972 when he was 19 years old.

Time For A Change
    (Phil Judd)

You act as though
    You are a blind man who’s crying
    Crying ‘bout all the virgins that are dying
    In your habitual dreams
    Seems you need more sleep
    But like a parrot in a flaming tree
    I know, it’s pretty hard to see
    I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time for a change
    But still you try like a fat boy
    Dancing Gershwin blues
    But you’d rather sit at home and watch the news
    And I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time for a change
    I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time for a change

8. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

ForENZics – Walking

For my song #5 I have picked this one. In early 2020, three of the former Split Enz members – Tim Finn, Eddie Rayner and Noel Crombie – presented this track under the band name ForENZics. It is a re-construction/re-write of the above presented “Walking Down A Road” and also features their old producer Phil Manzanera on guitar (he is not in the video clip however, presumably because the Enz guys were in New Zealand and he lives in the UK and the pandemic lockdowns were just starting). Tim Finn and Eddie Rayner continued with the ForENZics project and in February 2022 released a full album of re-constructed/re-written Split Enz tracks, sometimes taking just a bridge from a song and sometimes taking parts from different songs to write a new songs. The album also featured entirely new material. It is an excellent album, highly recommended! The album title is Shades and Echoes.

(Tim Finn and Phil Manzanera have also recently released two collaborative Cuban-flavoured albums, Caught by the Heart in 2021 and The Ghost of Santiago in 2022)

Walking
    (based on the above presented “Walking Down A Road”, re-write by Tim Finn & Eddie Rayner)

Childish patter is heard no more
    Papers lay strewn upon the lawn
    Is that what you meant
    When you said I should stay at home?
    Is that what you meant when I left you on your own?
    I disappeared when the preaching began
    Even though I do my best
    Talking to the wind
    Really don’t amount to much

Somewhere in the shadows hiding
    In the shadows
    Shades are securely drawn
    Magic place hedged with roses

I drank the beauty
    Walking down a road
    Time stands still forever

No time to count the hours
    An old man laughing
    There’s nobody home
    Is that what you meant when I left you on your own?
    I disappeared when the preaching began
    Even though I do my best
    Talking to the wind
    Really don’t amount to much
    Shades are securely drawn
    A magic place hedged with roses
    I drank the beauty
    Walking down a road

9. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Split Enz - My Mistake (bonus track)

This was the very first Split Enz song I heard back in 1983. While visiting my grandparents for a week in August 1983, we went to Stockholm for a day and I bought a Split Enz compilation album. I had read about Split Enz in an article and based on that I bought the compilation album without having heard their music first. We went back to my grandparents’ house and while my grandmother prepared dinner I listened to the LP I had just bought. This was the first track.

As Split Enz has come to mean so much to me over the years since, that moment of first hearing this song in my grandparents’ living-room is a happy memory. My being a fan of Split Enz led to discovering other New Zealand groups and artists, it led to becoming interested in New Zealand and dreaming of one day visiting the country (the dream finally came true in 1999), it has led to important friendships with fellow fans and one of those friends introduced me to the woman who is now my wife and also my being a fan of Split Enz was an important factor in me eventually discovering The Kinks and now being a member of this wonderful forum thread… so I want to include this song as a bonus track in my presentation. It was originally released on Split Enz's third album Dizrythmia (1977) and was the first single off that album.

In terms of band line-up, after the band’s first US tour in early 1977, which wasn’t a success financially, there were further line-up changes. Drummer Emlyn Crowther had left the group before that tour to be replaced by British drummer Malcolm Green (ex-Octopus). Co-founder Phil Judd and founding member Mike Chunn both left the group after the U.S. tour and were replaced by Tim Finn’s younger brother Neil Finn and bassist Nigel Griggs (ex-singer/main songwriter of early ‘70s UK psych rock band Octopus). Neil Finn was still a teenager when he joined the group and this is the first video clip he appeared in (he is the one playing guitar in the red polka-dot shirt). And the video clip is fabulous!

My Mistake
    (Tim Finn / Eddie Rayner)

I went out to see if I could fall in love again
    That was my mistake, that was my mistake
    I went out to see if I could raise a laugh again

When all I needed was a friend
    To make me stop and think again
    To pull me up and pull me through
    Tally-ho, your health my dear

I went out to see if I could live forgotten days
    One by one I counted on those happy yesterdays

What’s gone is gone, sweet memories
    Don’t let them get the best of me
    No more lost in history, no more lust for love
    All I needed was a friend, to make me stop and think again
    The call to arms is loud and clear
    Tally-ho, your health my dear

I went out to see if I could fall in love again
    One by one I counted on those happy yesterdays
    That was my mistake

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  10. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Split Enz! That's… uncanny.

I've been on an obsessional binge these last few days plugged to the "Fangradio" (Fangradio ) continuous 24/24 random program of Finn family music, hosted by Neil Finn. The reason for this folly? Well, first, it's a chronic affliction of mine, trying to see the bottom of the Neil Finn well (yeah, I'm team Neil, not team Tim, although I like Tim too). On this non stop fangradio thing, they plays hundreds of unreleased songs, demos, live takes, whatever, by Crowded House, Neil, Tim, Liam, Split Enz and all their other bands and projects, and I've been trying to record as much of it as I can hoping to capture as many hidden gems as possible and, amongst them, the ever elusive Cemetery in the Rain, a Finn Brothers demo they made for what became Crowded House's Woodface LP. These demos were all released at some point… all except that one. And they are the next best thing to the McCartney/McManus ones as far as acoustic duos by a pair of genius songwriters are concerned (in truth, they're probably even better). The Cemetery tune has never surfaced (even on bootlegs), except it's known to be part of the fangradio rotation… You now all see why I would be completely addicted to the fangradio thing, hoping not to miss it whenever it gets played. I need it. I just do. It'll take weeks, months, years, but I'll get it in the end.

And so I was doing it (I have to be up in order to record the thing when it's on), and suddenly your posts about Split Enz were up at the exact same time the fangradio thing was playing a solo Neil version of a Split Enz tune called… Missing Person. Yes, like singular form of the Return To Waterloo/Word of Mouth song. Seriously ? @StefanWq presents Split Enz on the Kinks thread at the exact moment when I'm listening to a Split Enz tune which (almost) shares its title with a Kinks one??????

Yes, unkanny.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

If this was our top 80 I would only have 32!

15 Pye
    7 RCA
    7 Arista
    3 MCA/Columbia/London

12. All Down The Line

I wonder if Preservation Act 2 was ever tarnished (even after the fact) by Ray's announcements?

Announcement 1: Declaring he had mental issues at the time.

Announcement 2: Declaring he should have probably not been (or allowed to have been) making records at that time.

Scrap-heap Announcement 3 as he never declared that Flash would save everyone of us despite his Queen (see Arthur and city of Westminster) admiration!

13. All Down The Line

Though born in 1968 and enjoying am radio in the 70's and later I'm clearly a 60's child and student of music as in the Zeki challenge I scored 80 for the 60's and a measly 60 for the 70's.

Disclaimer: Totals where of how many tracks I could recall somewhat of how they went and not song title alone which would have built me up...... butter cup!

14. All Down The Line

Ray's right.

15. All Down The Line

Why not relax :chill: and allow it, you could always watch some Yoga with Boo Boo! o_O

16. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Split Enz
    Thank you @StefanWq. Of course I've heard of Split Enz and like their singles but I didn't know about their love of the Kinks and for some reason I never explored their albums. They were one of those artists I didn't click with the first time - especially as my musical taste in the seventies was as conventional as it gets (except for my unconventional attraction to everything put out by The Kinks). Split Enz were regarded as a bit experimental - even avant garde. When I finally bought a Best of compilation I discovered there was a lot more to them than experimentation - including one of the most perfect pop songs by anyone (ever), which I'll post later unless someone else beats me to it.
    Coincidentally, I was browsing second-hand records this morning where I saw a copy of their third album, Dizrhythmia, which I've just read was their first record with Neil Finn in the group. I didn't buy it, but as I'm listening to Second Thoughts I'm having second thoughts....
    It's interesting that Stefan has done a deep dive on a single album which doesn't include any of the singles I know. If I like this I could be joining him in the Split Enz wormhole.

17. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Split Enz

It's all very strange. I think I have every album released by Crowded House. I have every album released by Neil Finn. I've seen Neil Finn in concert. I have the albums by the Finn Brothers. The album by Neil and Liam Finn? Yes, got that. I have the new Crowded House album on order.

So why do I have nothing at all from Split Enz? As I said, it's very strange.

Well, that has all just changed, thanks to @StefanWq two albums have been ordered ('Mental Notes' and 'Dizrythmia') bizarrely Amazon now say the first won't be delivered until September - I'll give it a week to see if that changes, then cancel and look elsewhere I think. I can only presume someone is bringing it personally, on foot from New Zealand...

In my collection:
    Split Enz: Mental Notes (on order - invoice to @StefanWq )
    Split Enz: Dizrythmia (as above)
    Crowded House: Crowded House
    Crowded House: Temple Of Low Men
    Crowded House: Woodface
    Crowded House: Together Alone
    Crowded House: Time On Earth
    Crowded House: Intriguer
    Crowded House: Dreamers Are Waiting
    Crowded House: Gravity Stairs (on order)
    Crowded House: Farewell To The World
    Crowded House: Live On Earth
    Crowded House: Recurring Dream
    Crowded House: Afterglow
    Crowded House: Very Very Best
    Tim Finn: Tim Finn
    Neil Finn: Try Whistling This
    Neil Finn: One Nil
    Neil Finn: Seven World's Collide
    Neil Finn: Dizzy Heights
    Neil Finn: Out Of Silence
    Neil and Liam Finn: Lightsleeper
    Liam Finn: I'll Be Lightning
    ForENZics: Shades And Echoes @StefanWq CD ordered too invoice to follow..

So, cheers @StefanWq in getting even more CDs and Vinyl added to the spare room...

18. All Down The Line

In response to Mr @Michael Streett's post......

War Is Over: A fair call of who knew how it went or some wondering if we were including a John and Yoko number.

Still Searching: Michael is onto something here and I need add mention of Dave's superbly sublime solo and state that Ray's search and quest drove his songs and creativity, finding what he thought he may be after would have been disastrous as his well run dry.

Johnny Thunder: Also Unranked by me and also surprised it didn't get in, could it be that (like myself) folks appreciate some parts of it and not others like perhaps befell Australia?

Mr Pleasant: This surprised me too and particularly as I had voted it in myself!

Australia: We had the opportunity but beat around the bush and didn't come to Australia.
    Michael I will take personal blame that this didn't get in solely because it was not kept secret that this is where yours truly was posting from! :angel:

19. All Down The Line

In terms of screaming, chanting or just being silly in a 1969 outro you can also audition Blind Faith's Do What You Like! :agree:

20. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Yep, they’re a great band! But I was unaware of a Kinks connection.

21. All Down The Line

Yes and i don't count you at all mendelsohn for pointing that out! :wave:

22. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Split Enz
    I've now listened twice to Second Thoughts (aka the rest of the world's Mental Notes) and found new things to like that I missed the first time. There is so much variety in the songs, and sometimes within the same song. Walking Down a Road is a good example: it proceeds through a few distinct movements with the rhythm section performing out of their skins. Time for a Change has what I thought to be a very early Genesis feel, while Late Last Night reminded me of Holiday Romance (it's that song's New Zealand cousin). I'll need more listens to be able to comment on song meanings.
    One thing that did occur to me when listening to this album is that early Split Enz fits really well with groups like Sparks, early 10cc/ Godley & Creme, Roxy Music (those sax breaks), and even Gong. I'm sure others will have their own comparisons.
    Fast-forwarding to the present, I'm impressed with ForENZics (the music more than the name) and I'll be interested to see if Tim Finn uses the same voice on the whole album.
    Now here's what I consider Split Enz's perfect pop song: Message to my Girl, written by the younger Finn brother in 1983. This is getting closer to the Crowded House sound than that early Split Enz experimentation. As a pop song it is perfect isn't it - or is that just me?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Split Enz ‘Mental Notes’ (1975) is listed on Apple Music as an “essential” album. I look forward to checking it out. (The only greater Finn-world related album I know is ‘Woodface.’)

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Three songs in so far and my favorite two are: ‘Late Last Night’ and ‘Titus.’

Re: ‘Titus’ lyrics. One listen and I’m thinking the dream switches/mixes Chess and Checkers (checker pieces are red and black, the knight and bishop are chess, both use a checkered board).

25. All Down The Line