The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

A gross violation of all ethical principles! :D And here I’ve been busily working my way through the teeming verbiage of the thread, trying to regurgitate my prior Dave thoughts…when I could have simply waited for it all to be placed on a platter (with an envelope tucked underneath).

Side bar: Any idea what song I’m talking about here?
    “I can visualize the video for this with Dave in his Louis XIV get-up, exaggeratedly pursing his lips as he shrieks intermittently.

Yep, this song goes onto the Thread Wrap-up Party Soundtrack, maybe at around the three-hour point.”

2. Paul Mazz

Paul Mazz Senior Member

Not lobbying - just asking if they should or shouldn’t be included. I didn’t see them on Mark’s list of eligible songs. I’d actually have to listen to most of these to know what they are.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

And my dream of overstuffed envelopes vanishes in the wind.

4. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

I think it will be really interesting to see how our collective Ray Top 20 / Dave Top 20 lists will turn out. I imagine many different tracks will be #1 on the respective lists and I couldn't possibly predict what the respective Top 5 will be here on the forum thread.

On Spotify, I have a personal Dave "best of" playlist which currently has 27 tracks on it, but I feel inspired now to listen again to his solo albums to make sure I don't miss any track for my Top 20 list. During my morning walk to work (from where we parked the car, at my wife's work parking space) I listened to Chosen People which I've always really liked. It is a very strong album and it was already well represented on my Dave playlist but I re-discovered one more track which I added. Later in the day, during my lunch walk I listened to the first half of Glamour which I hadn't listened to for a long, long while until now. I remembered it as being a quite terrible album so my expectations were very low - but I was positively surprised by it. While there are a few tracks on it which are not my cup of tea at all, it also has several gems so I added a couple of tracks to my playlist. I then listened to the rest of the album on my afternoon walk back to the car at my wife's work parking space.

I tend to listen to full albums and only seldom to compilations, so at least for me it is a bit too easy to overlook stray Dave tracks which are only on one of his compilations plus the Record Store Day single which was released fairly recently.

I also need to get re-acquainted with 80 Days. I used to have it on cassette (someone dubbed it for me) which got lost somewhere along the line and I missed this forum thread's discussion of its songs. From memory, there are a lot of excellent tracks there. I wish it would get a proper release one day!

5. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ve got something bonkers in the top 10!

6. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Well, I've done both my top 20s. Still not happy with Raymond's. The problem being the '8o Days' material being in the quality they are, I guess they're not getting a fair chance. If they were properly produced and released cleaned up, there's every chance they'd take up half of my top 20, as it is they feel out of place amongst the others.

I'm reasonably happy with my Dave top 20, and in all fairness, I think the top 10 from both lists would each make a great album for me.

7. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

Bonkerz! 'All About Me' I reckon for the song.

8. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

Keep in mind we also have a "cleaned up" version now, thanks to Wondergirl's diligent reporting!

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

All right, I’ve made my Dave 20 quota. Now just have to work on the ranking.

edit: Have my Ray 20, as well. Just need ranking.

10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

Yea, that's what I did when this first came up..
    I thought, "if this happens it'll take me a couple of months to relisten to everything" lol

11. mark winstanley

I'm not phased when we actually turn in the lists.

My initial date was just for reference purposes... ala if we do it like this, then blah blah this...
    I was told it was too long a wait. I said ok.

I don't care if we do it in May frankly....

What I would say is....
    Start getting your lists together, and when everyone is ready, we can pull the trigger on the countdown start date

12. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Two more Dave songs to add to his list. Both from Mystical Journey:

• New Dawn, New Day
    • Pluto Muse
    There is also the 80s B side One Night With You but that is a cover version,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  13. Michael Streett

[​IMG]

Wise guys, huh? You’re too much and too funny – ha ha.

I have no illusions any song lists I put together will be agreed upon by the folks here. In fact, one of my opinions will be a non-starter for probably everyone else here, so we can throw that one out now. You’ll know which one when you get to it below.

I prefer to let the majority decide even if I am in the minority on a decision, but I look at this stuff like this:

Ray:
    • How Many: Top 20.
    • What To Include – officially released material only. Solo albums/singles material starting with (reluctantly) Return To Waterloo (which is really The Kinks for the reasons I laid out before due to the overlap with Word Of Mouth and the personnel but this got excluded from the Kinks Top 40. That’s a moot point now since that list is history so OK, include it here, and throw in Quiet Life which also got ignored, OK. The real Ray solo career really starts with Storyteller and not before. Include the solo bonus tracks from the Arthur box recorded in 2008/9 and 2017/8 when he really was a solo artist.
    • What Not To Include 1 – demos recorded while The Kinks were active up through 1996. All of these that have seen official release have been released on Kinks reissues and boxsets and a good many of them feature members of The Kinks on the recordings. Ray did not have a solo career while with the Kinks.
    • What Not To Include 2 - Solo material that has never been officially released. That elephant in the room is 80 Days, of course. This is unofficial and is not an album. I outlined all of my reasons for not recognizing this material back when and will not go into it here again. I know I’m the sole holder of this opinion, but it's not officially released and that’s the deal breaker for me. It does not exist in my world and it’s as simple and cut and dried as that.
    Dave:
    • How Many: Top 20.
    • What To Include: Solo recordings from the 1970s later released on the Decade album, and then his three solo albums and singles in the 1980s, and then everything after the Kinks.
    • What Not To Include: The 1960s recordings recorded with and released as The Kinks and/or as Dave Davies (some were released as both at the same time). These were included in the Kinks countdown and are Kinks recordings. These include the unreleased stuff that finally saw the light of day for the first time decades later on various Kinks album reissues and in 2011 on Hidden Treasures. For any list that this group of voters would vote for in a countdown, be it Top 10, 15, 20, whatever, every Dave song that falls into this category and era of the 1960s whether it was released at the time or decades later would make this countdown list before even one 1980 or later song would and that would not make this worth doing.

All that said, include 80 Days. I won’t win this one and that’s cool.

And with that I can go along with most of the list @Zeki and @Fortuleo built with X-Ray, Ladder Of Success, and The Good Times Are Gone added. The only question mark I have would be on the demos recorded when the Kinks were active as I noted above. The majority should decide on their inclusion or not. I say they should not but that’s just my vote. Same thing applies to Dave’s 1960s recordings.

Give your vote on this last point as to whether or not to include these Ray demos and Dave’s 1960s recordings one last time and we’ll finalize these things.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’m fine with this. And am fine with the Ray List deletion of what is listed as:
    1/ early demos not by the kinks nor for the kinks
    All Night Stand
    This I Know
    There's A New World Opening for Me
    When I See That Girl of Mine
    Tell Me Now So I'll Know
    A Little Bit of Sunlight
    —-end paste—

And that, separately from your post, we go with the three-song suite counts-as-one per @donstemple ’s suggestion (80 Days material).

Re: Dave’s material. Is ‘Decade’ eligible or not?

edit: I guess I may be sounding flippant re the ‘1’ material. Not my intention, but I will admit I don’t have anything from there that is on my list. On the other hand, I do have ‘Decade’ material.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Honestly, if 80 Days or Return to Waterloo are not included, I don’t really have a great list and probably will not participate.

I say we should be able to vote for anything that has been listed so far. It all sounds reasonable to me.

Whatever is decided, can someone post all the eligible songs whenever it’s determined?

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’ll copy-correct-paste my Draft 2 (edited to Final) on the Ray material if someone gives me the okay.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I guess I’d like to get @Fortuleo ’s sign off before posting the final list. He suggested that particular “1” section. I know he said he’d go with @Michael Streett …but just as a precaution.

18. mark winstanley

Personally I line up with all of this except for 80 Days....
    Though I completely understand the reasoning behind the thoughts on 80 Days.

Return To Waterloo is an awkward one, and if we had included it in the first count, I would have not thought it belongs here, but we didn't, so non-Word Of Mouth tracks do.

The pre-70's Dave stuff is a two-fold problem, most hit the Kinks kount, and it is hard to figure what is and what isn't Kinks, and if we included them, we'd need to make Dave's list 40 songs, or we'll just be representing Dave in 68/69, which seems kind of dull and pointless.

Anyway... just my thoughts.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is what I drew my Dave list from:
    Bar-code
    Glamour
    Fragile
    Bug
    Transformation (the non-Kink songs)
    Fractured Mindz
    I Will Be Me
    Rippin’ Up Time
    Open Road
    Decade
    21st Century (demo)
    Web of Time (single)
    Kinked (compilation, if not on Kinks album. Like ‘Where The Wind Blows (Emergency)’)

Anything off limits?

20. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I would also like to include Unfinished Business and Decade. Are those OK?

21. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Geez...I step away for like 36 hours or somethin' and what's happening? 20/20 list of Dave/Ray songs?

If that's the case, please give some more time. I have to re-familiarize myself with Dave's stuff especially.

22. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

Ooops, I see some semblance of "rules" several posts above this one. apologies.

23. mark winstanley

Dave

Where Do You Come From - AFL1-3603
    Doing The Best For You - AFL1-3603
    Visionary Dreamer - AFL1-3603
    Nothin' More To Lose - AFL1-3603
    The World Is Changing Hands - AFL1-3603
    Move Over - AFL1-3603
    See The Beast - AFL1-3603
    Imaginations Real - AFL1-3603
    In You I Believe - AFL1-3603
    Run - AFL1-3603
    Wild Man - B-Side
    Is This The Only Way? - Glamour
    Glamour - Glamour
    Reveal Yourself - Glamour
    World Of Our Own - Glamour
    Body - Glamour
    Too Serious - Glamour
    Telepathy - Glamour
    7th Channel - Glamour
    Eastern Eyes - Glamour
    Tapas - Chosen People
    Charity - Chosen People
    Mean Disposition - Chosen People
    Love Gets You - Chosen People
    The Story - Chosen People
    Take One More - Chosen People
    Freedom Lies - Chosen People
    Matter Of Decision - Chosen People
    Is It Any Wonder - Chosen People
    Fire Burning - Chosen People
    Chosen People - Chosen People
    Cold Winter - Chosen People
    Kochan - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Arrival - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Mysterious Love - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Feeling - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Dance Of The Azuras - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    One Energy - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Beautiful Night - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Spiritual Planet - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Return - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Soothe Sayer (Mukti"s Song) - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Spiritual Planet (Refection) - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Let Me Be - Fortis Green
    True Phenomenon - Fortis Green
    Voices - Fortis Green
    Away From You - Fortis Green
    Fortis Green - Fortis Green
    Love In The World - Fortis Green
    Listen To The Spirit - Fortis Green
    Soothe Sayer - Fortis Green
    Whose Foolin' Who - Bug
    It Ain't Over, 'Till It's Done! - Bug
    The Lie! - Bug
    Let Me Be - Bug
    Desplaced Person - Bug
    Rock You, Rock Me - Bug
    Flowers In The Rain3:38 - Bug
    Fortis Green - Bug
    Why?!! - Bug
    True Phenomenon - Bug
    Bug - Bug
    De-Bug - Bug
    Life After Life (Transformation) - Bug
    This Is The Time - Fractured Mindz
    Free Me - Fractured Mindz
    All About Me - Fractured Mindz
    Come To The River - Fractured Mindz
    Giving - Fractured Mindz
    Remember Who You Are - Fractured Mindz
    The Waiting Hours - Fractured Mindz
    Rock Siva - Fractured Mindz
    The Blessing - Fractured Mindz
    Fractured Mindz - Fractured Mindz
    God In My Brain - Fractured Mindz
    Little Green Amp - I Will Be Me
    Livin' In The Past - I Will Be Me
    The Healing Boy - I Will Be Me
    Midnight In L.A. - I Will Be Me
    In The Mainframe - I Will Be Me
    Energy Fields - I Will Be Me
    When I First Saw You - I Will Be Me
    The Actress - I Will Be Me
    Erotic Neurotic - I Will Be Me
    You Can Break My Heart - I Will Be Me
    Walker Through The Worlds - I Will Be Me
    Remember The Future - I Will Be Me
    Cote Du Rhone (I Will Be Me) - I Will Be Me
    Ripping Up Time - Ripping Up Time
    Semblance Of Sanity - Ripping Up Time
    King Of Karaoke - Ripping Up Time
    Front Room - Ripping Up Time
    Johnny Adams - Ripping Up Time
    Nosey Neighbours - Ripping Up Time
    Mindwash - Ripping Up Time
    Between The Towers - Ripping Up Time
    In The Old Days - Ripping Up Time
    Through My Window - Ripping Up Time
    Path Is Long - Open Road
    Open Road - Open Road
    Don't Wanna Grow Up - Open Road
    King Of Diamonds - Open Road
    Forgiveness - Open Road
    Sleep On It - Open Road
    Slow Down - Open Road
    Love Has Rules Of It's Own - Open Road
    Chemtrails - Open Road
    Cradle To The Grave - Decade
    Midnight Sun - Decade
    Islands - Decade
    If You Are Leaving - Decade
    Web Of Time - Decade
    Mystic Woman - Decade
    Give You All My Love - Decade
    Within Each Day - Decade
    Same Old Blues - Decade
    Mr. Moon - Decade
    This Precious Time (Long Lonely Road) - Decade
    21st Century - Single
    Astral Nightmare - Fragile
    Violet Dreams - Fragile
    I'm Sorry - Fragile
    Give Something Back - Fragile
    Hope - Fragile
    Bright Lights - Fragile
    Open Up Your Heart - Fragile
    Wait! - Fragile
    No More Mysteries - Fragile
    Lost In Your Arms - Fragile
    The Kakshisa Cipher - The Aschere Project
    Two Worlds - The Aschere Project
    Love Will Change - The Aschere Project
    Remember Me - The Aschere Project
    I'll Get By - The Aschere Project
    We Can Do This Together - The Aschere Project
    Echos - The Aschere Project
    We Are The Ancestors - The Aschere Project
    Mirrors - The Aschere Project
    Blessed Of All Nights - The Aschere Project
    Valley Of The Shadows - The Aschere Project

Title corrections of those posted already:
    True Story (listed upthread as The Story)
    Take One More Chance (listed upthread as Take One More)
    Songs missing altogether (and their album(s)):
    Unfinished Business - (Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997; Anthology – Unfinished Business; Unfinished Business Dave Davies Kronikles 1963 – 1998)
    I’ll Get Over - (Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997)
    When The Wind Blows (Emergency) – (Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997; Kinked)
    Eternity – (Anthology – Unfinished Business)
    The Journey – (Decade)
    Shadows – (Decade)
    There’s also the Village Of The Damned soundtrack and 4 cover versions released on tribute albums, none of which makes much sense to list and include here, so I won’t.

Two more Dave songs to add to his list. Both from Mystical Journey:

New Dawn, New Day
    Pluto Muse

@palisantrancho this is the Dave list thus far

24. Michael Streett

I have updated the Dave list with the songs I added last night and today and another from @Paul Mazz today so this should be the final list assuming we agree his 60s Kinks recordings should not be included. I also am not including the 5 cover versions he recorded in the studio and released as a solo artist, one as a B-Side, the other four on various artist tribute albums, nor any covers he performed live that got an official release.

Additions and Updates in BOLD

The Dave List:

Where Do You Come From - AFL1-3603
    Doing The Best For You - AFL1-3603
    Visionary Dreamer - AFL1-3603
    Nothin' More To Lose - AFL1-3603
    The World Is Changing Hands - AFL1-3603
    Move Over - AFL1-3603
    See The Beast - AFL1-3603
    Imaginations Real - AFL1-3603
    In You I Believe - AFL1-3603
    Run - AFL1-3603
    Wild Man - B-Side, Anthology – Unfinished Business

Is This The Only Way? - Glamour
    Glamour - Glamour
    Reveal Yourself - Glamour
    World Of Our Own - Glamour
    Body - Glamour
    Too Serious - Glamour
    Telepathy - Glamour
    7th Channel - Glamour
    Eastern Eyes - Glamour

Tapas - Chosen People
    Charity - Chosen People
    Mean Disposition - Chosen People
    Love Gets You - Chosen People
    Danger Zone – Chosen People
    True Story - Chosen People
    Take One More Chance - Chosen People
    Freedom Lies - Chosen People
    Matter Of Decision - Chosen People
    Is It Any Wonder - Chosen People
    Fire Burning - Chosen People
    Chosen People - Chosen People
    Cold Winter - Chosen People

Kochan - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Arrival - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Mysterious Love - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Feeling - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Dance Of The Azuras - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    One Energy - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Beautiful Night - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Spiritual Planet - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Return - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Soothe Sayer (Mukti’s Song) - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet
    Spiritual Planet (Refection) - Purusha and the Spiritual Planet

Unfinished Business - Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997; Anthology – Unfinished Business; Unfinished Business Dave Davies Kronikles 1963 – 1998
    I’ll Get Over - Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997
    When The Wind Blows (Emergency) – Unfinished Business Solo Kronikles 1980 -1997; Kinked
    Eternity – Anthology – Unfinished Business

Let Me Be - Fortis Green
    True Phenomenon - Fortis Green
    Voices - Fortis Green
    Away From You - Fortis Green
    Fortis Green - Fortis Green
    Love In The World - Fortis Green
    Listen To The Spirit - Fortis Green
    Soothe Sayer - Fortis Green

Astral Nightmare - Fragile
    Violet Dreams - Fragile
    I'm Sorry - Fragile
    Give Something Back - Fragile
    Hope - Fragile
    Bright Lights - Fragile
    Open Up Your Heart - Fragile
    Wait! - Fragile
    No More Mysteries - Fragile
    Lost In Your Arms - Fragile

Whose Foolin' Who - Bug
    It Ain't Over, 'Till It's Done! - Bug
    The Lie! - Bug
    Let Me Be - Bug
    Desplaced Person - Bug
    Rock You, Rock Me - Bug
    Flowers In The Rain - Bug
    Fortis Green - Bug
    Why?!! - Bug
    True Phenomenon - Bug
    Bug - Bug
    De-Bug - Bug
    Life After Life (Transformation) - Bug

This Is The Time - Fractured Mindz
    Free Me - Fractured Mindz
    All About Me - Fractured Mindz
    Come To The River - Fractured Mindz
    Giving - Fractured Mindz
    Remember Who You Are - Fractured Mindz
    The Waiting Hours - Fractured Mindz
    Rock Siva - Fractured Mindz
    The Blessing - Fractured Mindz
    Fractured Mindz - Fractured Mindz
    God In My Brain - Fractured Mindz, Kinked

New Dawn, New Day – Mystical Journey
    Pluto Muse – Mystical Journey

The Kakshisa Cipher - The Aschere Project
    Two Worlds - The Aschere Project
    Love Will Change - The Aschere Project
    Remember Me - The Aschere Project
    I'll Get By - The Aschere Project
    We Can Do This Together - The Aschere Project
    Echos - The Aschere Project
    We Are The Ancestors - The Aschere Project
    Mirrors - The Aschere Project
    Blessed Of All Nights - The Aschere Project
    Valley Of The Shadows - The Aschere Project

Little Green Amp - I Will Be Me
    Livin' In The Past - I Will Be Me
    The Healing Boy - I Will Be Me
    Midnight In L.A. - I Will Be Me
    In The Mainframe - I Will Be Me
    Energy Fields - I Will Be Me
    When I First Saw You - I Will Be Me
    The Actress - I Will Be Me
    Erotic Neurotic - I Will Be Me
    You Can Break My Heart - I Will Be Me
    Walker Through The Worlds - I Will Be Me
    Remember The Future - I Will Be Me
    Cote Du Rhone (I Will Be Me) - I Will Be Me

Ripping Up Time - Ripping Up Time
    Semblance Of Sanity - Ripping Up Time
    King Of Karaoke - Ripping Up Time
    Front Room - Ripping Up Time
    Johnny Adams - Ripping Up Time
    Nosey Neighbours - Ripping Up Time
    Mindwash - Ripping Up Time
    Between The Towers - Ripping Up Time
    In The Old Days - Ripping Up Time
    Through My Window - Ripping Up Time

Path Is Long - Open Road
    Open Road - Open Road
    Don't Wanna Grow Up - Open Road
    King Of Diamonds - Open Road
    Forgiveness - Open Road
    Sleep On It - Open Road
    Slow Down - Open Road
    Love Has Rules Of Its Own - Open Road
    Chemtrails - Open Road

Cradle To The Grave - Decade
    Midnight Sun - Decade
    Islands - Decade
    If You Are Leaving - Decade
    Web Of Time - Decade
    Mystic Woman - Decade
    Give You All My Love – Decade
    The Journey – Decade
    Within Each Day - Decade
    Same Old Blues - Decade
    Mr. Moon – Decade
    Shadows – Decade
    This Precious Time (Long Lonely Road) - Decade

21st Century - Single

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

There are 149 songs here so surely you can find 20?

If not, maybe you need to go back to:

[​IMG]

This is within a tenth of a mile or so on the same road as my office in Columbia. I never noticed this sign before Tuesday of this week as I am seldom actually in the office since I work from home in Florence most of the time. But I saw this coming back from lunch Tuesday when I was there and had to turn around and grab a snap for just such timely serendipitous thread purposes as always seems to happen in this thread. And look what color everything is as Spring is well under way here!

Edit: I see Mark and I were posting this at the same time, but I'll leave mine up for the picture.

25. mark winstanley

Yours is laid out better. I'm on my phone, and it's a bit of a cluster-truck