The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

2. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I “cheated” and had Open Up Your Heart at number 2 on my Dave list. The demo isn’t as good as the Kinks version but it’s a very good song, and IMk Dave hasn’t had a plethora of those in his solo career. The Tourist was a late cut from my Ray list. It’s thematically effective but not a great enough listen to have nudged out any of my top 20.

The MEZ, markelis, Zeki and 15 others like this.
  3. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

'Open Up Your Heart' - I deliberately did not choose this one, following my self-imposed rules. This, of course is a demo version of a Kinks song which was eligible in the previous band countdown, so regardless of the quality of the song ('Look Through Any Doorway' is hugely superior) it was for me, not eligible for consideration.

'The Tourist' must have been a favourite of Ray's from 'Other People's Lives', as it was a constant part of the concert set-list of the era. The lengthy live introduction gave Ray the opportunity for a costume change. Despite experiencing this song live on several occasions, it's far from my favourite on the album, and doesn't make my list.

Ray wins this round for me.

The MEZ, markelis, Zeki and 16 others like this.
  4. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

Open Up Your Heart / The Tourist

Neither of these songs were in my Ray or Dave top 20s. I think "Open Your Heart" is a very fascinating glimpse into Dave's creative process, as are all his demo albums, but I think "Look Through Any Doorway" as The Kinks did it is the definitive version of the song (and that version was at #15 in my original Kinks top 40 so I rate it very highly).

"The Tourist" is interesting in that it could easily have been included on either of the Americana albums. In fact, I think it would have fitted better there than it does on Other People's Lives. To me, it is a solid album track but not a stand-out one. Very well-written lyrics though.

My score card so far:
    Ray: 1/3
    Dave: 1/3

The MEZ, markelis, Zeki and 18 others like this.
  5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Forum Resident

Dave came in at number 6 today for me. While OPL does have some gems, the Tourist is not amongst them. It’s ok.

The MEZ, markelis, Zeki and 14 others like this.
  6. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Clearly I got confused with which Ray album it was on!

7. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Open Up Your Heart – Unranked.

Like others, I intentionally did not rank this demo of a later full Kinks studio recording that I did include in my initial Top 40 on the band list. I wanted to open up my Dave Top 20 one more spot to rank something else less heralded. Had this been a demo only without an officially released full studio recording, I would have absolutely ranked this somewhere in my solo Top 20. While not entirely the same, it is almost fully formed and complete in its demo guise and is one of his most well-conceived and well-structured officially released demos, while also being one of the most upbeat, accessible, catchy and non-bonkers compositions in terms of both lyrics and music of his entire writing career. This despite the big picture seriousness and sadness of the lyrics and their inspiration. I’ve convinced myself to think that those of you who did rank this here in this consensus ranking did so for these reasons and not just because you only recognized it as a demo of a released studio Kinks song and were ranking it for that familiarity reason alone just to fill up your Dave list. Don’t tell me otherwise!

The Tourist – Unranked.

If my memory serves me well, this was the first song I heard from the then forthcoming long anticipated first true full Ray solo album. I had sought out, found, and acquired via eBay a copy of the UK promo CD single of this song with some other non-album tracks that was released in late 2005 in advance of the full album in early 2006 (the release date for this promo CD single as listed on Discogs of 2002 is flat-out wrong). Suffice it to say I was somewhat taken aback and surprised by this song upon that first listen. Not at all what I expected, not that that was a bad thing. I already knew to expect the unexpected when it came to Ray, but this was another trip entirely. Casual loping blues structured song with a wordless "chorus" consisting of crunchy grunge guitars (about a decade late, give or take) that go up, then down, then up, then down, and then resolve back to the swampy blues groove and verse. I could envision the lead guitarist and bassist (and Ray? Oh brother!) doing the unison side by side guitar necks up, guitar necks down back and forth clown dance on stage.

Didn’t dislike it but didn’t expect or know what to make of it at the time and this remains true to this day. Other People’s Lives proved to be a much better, richer and varied album (but still with flaws) than I had initially envisioned based on this early look via just this one song. I saw Ray perform this live in Atlanta in March 2006 and it worked much better and was far more effective and fun in a live concert setting, at least for me, and with no theatrical clown guitar antics thankfully that I recall. At this stage my memory does not always serve me well, but I knew this song and I would meet again once it was decided to do this solo collective countdown. The studio version of The Tourist is OK but still has me checking out early.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks again to Adam for Arthur's chapter 11 and likewise cudos to Liam for his own expertise.

I miss Adam's regularity here on the Kinks thread but finding a higher calling I'm not going to pee in the pod-cast world as he is sharing such a grand series (and no doubt labor of love) with us.

:righton: @ajsmith!

N.b. Interesting question raised about if Ray was wholly deliberate in letting Arthur end modestly without an epic album standout close by to close by!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
  9. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Arthur the closing song is a bit of an epic!

10. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

18 - Open Up Your Heart (Fragile)
    Yeah I was debating whether to include this one, because it obviously ended up released by the Kinks, but this did start out as a completely solo Dave track, and I find it super interesting to hear it in its nearly fully formed structure, even with the demo drum machine. It’s among his best power pop compositions of all, and that’s why I ranked it #6 on my Dave list.

18 - the Tourist (Other People's Lives)
    Had this ranked at #10 on my Ray list. The bridge of this song lifted up the rankings, along with that swampy groove. Money, money…

11. Someone-Else

Someone-Else Forum Resident

One for me today.

I'm among those who consider Open Up Your Heart to be a Kinks song by another name, and one which already charted in our top 100. Good song, but I didn't consider it.

The Tourist, on the other hand, I had at no. 11. I like the groove, and the sort of listless vocal on the studio version works well to convey the tourist's jaded obliviousness. But, on hearing it for the first time today, I think I like the live version better.

----
    No shortage of those around these parts! Especially Barcode - I think I've seen about 5 copies in just the 4 or 5 shops I've popped into over the last few days. (Still looking for Bug.)

12. All Down The Line

Yes but the gist is its no Victoria, Shangri-la or Australia and the feeling is the best has "relatively" elapsed before the end comes.

13. All Down The Line

No surprises there as we have a far smaller Dave buying market.
    That said I saw Bug and about 4 other new Dave albums in one store last year in Sydney so if you can't find it call Red Eye Records there!

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I guess it depends.... it made my top 100. Great fun closing song. Dave is tearing up the country-rock lead all the way through the song, and it has a great closing credits feel.
    Sure it may not be everyone's cup of tea I guess, but it has never given me a feeling of being lesser..... in fact prior to the thread, the only two songs I really liked on the Arthur album were Victoria and Arthur lol

15. mark winstanley

17 - Take One More Chance (Chosen People) 78 - 5.

stereo mix (3:01), recorded Jun-Jul 1983 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

Ooh, I don't understand,
    In this crazy world we live in,
    Just look around, is it true?
    No one gives a damn.
    Trapped in a world of illusion,
    Is it too late for us, ooh?

Baby, we'll never know why we're stranded here,
    Lost in this crowded room,
    I noticed you the minute you came into view.
    But you're so hard to me,
    Oh, why do I care for you so?
    I never ever doubt, my love,
    The time is oh so right for love.

Take one more chance, this is the last dance.
    Take one more chance, this is the last romance.

I don't understand,
    Been avoiding me all evening.
    Each time I looked you just dance,
    Again on the floor.
    Like life itself had no meaning.
    If I could touch you,
    But oohooh, deep in my heart I know,
    There's a destiny,
    Through all this sadness I see.
    It's not too late to change, my love,
    Tonight the stars are made for love.

Take one more chance, this is the last dance.
    Take one more chance, this is the last romance.

[One more chance] Take one more glance and give our life a chance.
    [One more chance] Take one more glance and give our life a chance.
    [One more chance] Take one more chance, this is the last dance.

Written by: Dave Davies
    Published by: Dabe Music, Ltd.

This seems like another love song style track, and again Dave presents us a predominantly keyboard driven track that leans into a more easy listening vibe.

So far this is quite an interesting album, and for the folks that found the last two a little abrasive, this may be a more palatable style.

I think I quite like this as well.....

Full write up

16. mark winstanley

17 - After the Fall (Other People's Lives) 84 - 8.

stereo mix (4:36), recorded 17 Dec, 2002 at Konk Studios, Hornsey, London

I just had a really bad fall
    And this time it was harder to get up than before
    I shouted to the heavens and a vision appeared
    I cried out "Can you help?", it replied "Not at all"

After the fall is over
    You'll be on your own
    After the fall is over

There'll be wrecks to clear in this war zone
    There'll be much to clean and time to atone
    But while it's dark you can shelter here
    In the bleak midwinter when you're feeling the fear
    Ah, but when the mist clears, the sun will shine again

A life's gotta have direction
    After the deals are done
    You gotta ask the question

Ask yourself why you go through it all
    When morality kicks in, who will catch you when you fall
    I'm a sinner waiting at the traveler's rest
    Seeking refuge from the storm, and I'm a grateful guest
    And a prophet cries out in high platitudes
    I smile and say, "Hey, I was just passing through"
    And an angel cries, "Wait, we'll tell you when to move"
    Even at the gates of Heaven I'll be waiting in a queue

Seems like I'm falling upwards
    Into the great white blue
    And all my imperfections

You can learn your lines and fabricate a show
    But the way we come in, yeah, that's the way we're gonna go
    We cheat and lie to conquer our fears
    We can put on a smile just to cover up the tears

After the fall (after the fall is over)
    There'll be a better day
    After the fall is over

So I fell on my ****, now I'm feeling the pain
    But the feeling will pass and so will the shame
    The bigger the ego, the bigger the fall
    When your reputation counts for nothing at all

I will greet you when the sun shines again
    After the fall (after the fall is over)
    There'll be a better day
    After the fall is over

Written by: Ray Davies
    Published by: Davray Music, Ltd.

This could actually be a follow on from the first track.
    Our party animal has gotten their head back together, and now they stand with the emotional broom in hand, ready to sweep up the mess.

As with the first song, I really like this. It took a couple of listens, but Ray has got my attention and I like what I'm hearing.

Full write up

17. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

Another double miss today.

I have two Chosen People tracks in my list, but "Take One More Chance" didn't get selected. I thought about it, but I came to the conclusion that maybe the tune is a bit corny.

I have four tracks from OPL in my Ray list, but again "After The Fall" isn't one of them. It could have been, as I don't think there is much to choose between the tracks that open the album, but this one missed out.

18. mark winstanley

Take One More Chance didn't make my Dave list

After The Fall came in at 17 for me. A great track off a great album... in fact Other People's Lives came in at 108 in my top albums of all time.
    All the Ray and Dave solo material was completely new to me prior to looking at them on here, and I was pleasantly surprised by both. I gravitate more to Ray's songs than Dave's, but I think that is more to do with the lyrics than anything else.

19. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

The Dave song is pretty good - I can imagine Keane doing a decent cover! :hide:

After the Fall is a good song but boy, Ray sounds particularly old!

20. mark winstanley

Well he was 62 lol

21. KM Dave 65-78

KM Dave 65-78 Cobwebs & Strange

Take One More Chance / After The Fall

With a record of Dave (1/4) / Ray (0/4) KM Dave 75-78 comes blazing into the race! Watch out avids. And a vote for Dave winning song #17.

22. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Note that we all elegantly looked the other way. That's what we all are here, on this Thread : elegant. :shtiphat:

I know, I know… that's probably why in a moment of weakness, I put it at #3 on my Dave list. It sounds like what it is, an early 80's mid-tempop ballad. I love it when Dave makes the effort to control his voice and make it "pretty". It's not the prettiness per se that I enjoy, but the effort, the audible restraint, the way our man gets access to an oft' hidden place of vulnerability. Of course, the fact that the song sounds so much like a Jeff Lynne production's not for nothing in my appreciation either. I know some (a lot of) people are allergic to his sound, but I'm the opposite : anything sounding remotely like it could've been on Cloud Nine/Full Moon Fever/Mystery Girl or either of the two Traveling Wilburys' volumes, will hit this sweet spot of mine. I can't fight it at all, that's what musical pleasure (guilty or not) is all about. Love the outro with Dave's high(er) pitched vocalizing and the synth strings, but what I love the most is the enormous chord/key change that starts things at the 0'21'' mark, with guitar and drums entering the picture. Such a wonderful slice of (corny) pop!

23. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

For the third time I have neither of the songs revealed today on my lists. Take One More Chance is Dave at his most restrained. I like it, even though it’s not a typical Dave song. Maybe I should have included it on my list ahead of a much noisier song on Chosen People? Nah :laugh:
    I have similar feelings with After the Fall. It’s not a bad song by any stretch - and has some of Ray’s best solo lyrics - but it’s not a song that resonates with me that much. I think the tempo could have been more urgent.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Dave Davies ‘Take One More Chance’: the first of the charters that isn’t on my own list.

‘After The Fall’: The first Ray group-pick that is on my list. I had this at #7.

This is what I said back in school (copy/paste):

I take back what I said moments ago; it was this song that is (still) running through my head this very, very early in the morning.

Yet again, unmistakably Ray with a superbly written lyric:
    “I’m a sinner waiting at the traveler’s rest…”

And @Fortuleo has pointed out the vocal inflections that are so…Ray.

Mark, your write-up is terrific…and I was pleased to see the lyrics using the accurate “prophet” (rather than Apple Music inserting “profit”—-I was planning to focus my entire post on this crass mistake!).

Three in a row onto the playlist; 2/2 from the album. We’re on a roll!
    —end paste—-

Ask yourself why you go through it all

When morality kicks in, who will catch you when you fall

I'm a sinner waiting at the traveler's rest

Seeking refuge from the storm, and I'm a grateful guest

And a prophet cries out in high platitudes

I smile and say, "Hey, I was just passing through"

And an angel cries, "Wait, we'll tell you when to move"

Even at the gates of Heaven I'll be waiting in a queue

Seems like I'm falling upwards
    Into the great white blue
    And all my imperfections
    —-end lyric snippet—

Masterful, a real beauty of a song. Touches my heart.

25. All Down The Line

Agree that Arthur is a good song but not a great one though any further obstreperousness and you could find yourself in front of Liam and Adam who as you know are both thoroughly Kinky! :oops: