The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Somehow it never occurred to me that Berkeley Mews might not be a gay song. Even when I was 18 and first heard it. I feel like its campy wink-wink thing is its whole reason for being.

I think I like every single VGPS outtake, as found on Kinks Kronikles and Great Lost Kinks Album. And I listen to them a lot.

That said, I also think they tend to be relatively lightweight and self-indulgent, and "Mr. Songbird", "Berkeley Mews" and "Misty Water" especially fit this bill. That may sound like I'm saying this as if it's a bad thing. But, really, I'm not. I think Ray's willingness to get self-indulgent, and a bit fey, was part and parcel of the impulse that also allowed him to create songs that were so eccentric, quirky, personal, vulnerable in this time. I wouldn't want to be without these songs, and I could imagine them as part of the proposed double album, but I think it was smart that they were left off in favor of the songs that made the cut.

"Berkeley Mews" is probably a better recording/performance/arrangement than an underlying song. It sounds great, and veers from style to style in a cool way. And, it rocks!

2. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

Jeez, first Ray had to go back & forth from the US to the UK to rerecord one word & then the master tape gets lost. Thank goodness "Lola" became a big hit, but that's a story for a few pages down the road.

As for "Berkeley Mews", it was one of the highlights of The Kinks Kronikles, a nice mix of music hall & crunchy rock, w/a bit of Elvis thrown. Another part of the song that was interesting was when it went "dit dit, dit, dit, dit", kinda like "Western Union" by the Five Americans. As for the lyrics, I knew that it was basically about a disappointing evening that the narrator had, "sh**ty dining room and all. As for Martyj's theory, I would throw in the fact that although we don't know about Ray, it is known that Dave did have relationships w/men, most notably with Michael Aldred of RSG fame & also the story behind "David Watts", when Ray tried to hook up Dave w/the person who inspired the song. Perhaps the events of "Berkeley Mews" happened to Dave & Ray thought it good fodder for a song. Just a thought.

3. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

Now that I think about it there was a pub around there which I think was a gay pub. Then again, London is full of such places.

Berkeley Mews was the second Kinks song I ever heard. Was nice to be able to walk down a street the Kinks had recorded a song about.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  4. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

I shall give my thoughts on the song later but in the meantime ... if you have £ 1 150 000 to spare you can buy this Berkeley Mews" house" (two bedrooms and a garage). That's a mere $ 1 600 000 .

Oh no! I've noticed it's just been sold (July 2021). You can still visit here :

https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbmorsmbs210006

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Feeling sorry for himself Ray was perhaps telling a tale of drunkeness and...... cruelty!

FJFP, DISKOJOE, Adam9 and 2 others like this.
  6. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

"Berkeley Mews"

I first came across this as a B-side of "Lola". I wasn't aware it was an earlier track as to me it had a heavier sound in the verse which matched their 1970 output. If there are any gay references in there then they have passed me by as well, as I assumed it was just about a dalliance with a rich girl in a posh mews house.

Wherever it comes from though, it's a fantastic track - exactly the kind of all-over-the-place obscurity you want as a B-side. Hooks galore in the music and the vocals even though it doesn't have a lot of focus. Doesn't sound as if it belongs on any of the albums, but it does make for a superb closer to the "Well Respected Men" double set, and as such I consider it a kind of curtain closer on the Kinks' Pye period. Even though it was recorded two years earlier, it's still the last non-album B-side to be released on Pye.

7. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

In that way, it's a lot like the Beatles' "You Know My Name (Look Up the Number)" -- last B side on "Past Masters," recorded quite a while before its release, and a strange hodgepodge of veering styles.

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

In The Kinks Kronikles liner notes, John Mendelssohn (the first person to mention the ‘sh*tty’ mishearing) oddly interprets the song as being about a meeting with a ‘bogus intellectual’ with no sexual or romantic element. I now realise he was probably wrong, but for years thanks to those notes that’s how I took it too.

9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I took off for a week and then segued into the Olympics (of which I’m a big fan)...so a bit of a music break for me. I see I’ll have a lot of catching up to do when I’m reenergized and rejoin the thread. Thanks for asking!

10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Thanks for putting my thoughts into easily digestible words. Well said.

pablo fanques, DISKOJOE, ARL and 2 others like this.
  11. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Thanks. Input from a Londoner was what I was hoping for. I was wondering if it was something locally known about Berkley Mews. Like I said, I couldn’t find anything on the internet nor have I seen it in any of the Kinks books.

Undoubtedly, to have knowledge of the secret homosexual hook up places—be they bars, clubs or private residences—one needed to be part of the scene. Those who weren’t part of that scene were supposed to be left clueless. I guess a writer for a gay publication is someone who would be privy to the network of information on where the secret, hidden places were.

But who knows what to make of something so secret it can’t be verified. I’m only passing along info I read that stuck with me ever since. But the same article had some pretty far-fetched Ray/gay lyric theories, such as Starmaker from Soap Oprea living a gay double life fantasy in taking over Norman’s place so he could experience a “straight” experience.

12. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Because it likely is. This thread has a tendency, time to time, to read "gay" into things. Did I miss the part where "Mr. Songbird" is a gay song because of "Mr." and how he "helps to keep my troubles away" and other things? Was "Walter" in "Do You Remember Walter" some old lover? Come on.. let's not let speculation ruin the discussion of an awesome rocker.

13. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Berkeley Mews

This is a new song for me. Took a few listens to really grasp. Ray's vocals almost have a Muswell Hillbilly flair to them, methinks. The saloon piano is neat, the heaviness of the bass when Pete joins in is neat. The handclaps (?) are neat.

Lyrical question..

In this section:

Drowned my conversation with champagne,
    In Berkeley Mews, was not listening.

I hear:

Drowned my conversation with champagne,
    and Berkeley Mews was not the same.

I think that makes more sense? Why would Berkeley Mews be not listening?

Anyway, a good rocking song. Agree I don't see this belonging on any of the albums we have reviewed so far.

14. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

berkeley mews is one of my favorite kinks songs ,which in turn makes it one of my favorite overall songs.
    not sure about any subtext or not but it certainly wouldn’t be out of the question. my own personal feeling is that ray was not actively bi sexual but intellectual curious enough to understand that humanity exists with a broad range of sexual orientations. the kinks are my favorite band ( with the likes of the velvet underground,lou reed ,john cale ,nico ,and the fall IE mark e smith close behind) through the RCA years , i don’t really like the arista or later stuff , although i do keep my eyes peeled for the english version of to the bone. my love of the kinks began with hearing “complicated life” from the lp muswell hillbillies on the radio . i will most likely pipe in more when that lp comes under discussion. been loving the thread thus far as have all the kinks fans here.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I think with The Kinks, a sensitivity to the possibility of LGBT themes cropping up now and again comes with the territory. I thought MartyJ’s post was fascinating because it wasn’t idle speculation, but referred to a little known secondary source that (may) have contained relevant insider info. Or it may not have done, but either way I found it an interesting bit of extra colour, and a thread embellisher, not a thread ruiner.

16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Berkeley Mews

Lots of great insight on this song so far. I never thought about this song much. A nice bonus track with a mixed bag of styles. The straight ahead rock n roll vibe is reminiscent of something that could fit in on Schoolboys In Disgrace, Soap Opera, or even Preservation and Muswell Hillbillies. It does sound more like an early 70s Kinks tune which makes sense that they chose to pair it with "Lola". Nicky Hopkins barroom piano style recalls some earlier tunes. This is a really interesting song that is like a bridge from 60s Kinks to 70s Kinks. It was recorded in 1968? And then finally released in 1970 as a B side. Maybe that could also be a reason they chose to release it with "Lola"? The sound of the record has one foot in the 60s and one foot in the 70s. Great song and I loved learning so much more about it this morning!

17. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I didn’t pick up on this song much for quite a while until a few years ago, though I was astutely aware of it early on, as I remember leaving the theatre one evening and walking past the titular Mews and getting gently excited to myself. Looked to be a very sweet and upmarket small street (see: A Mews), and it’s what I always picture now. The song tricks you playfully with that intro, before kicking in with a meaty body under the verse. Always felt very unique in the Kink canon, and doesn’t even feel a piece with VGPS. Maybe even more Arthur?

FWIW I’ve never heard anything other than chilly.

18. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Same here, but at least we know that it's definitely not "sh*tty sh*tty is the evening time...." on Waterloo Sunset.

19. skisdlimit

skisdlimit Forum Resident

Thank you for shining a "Spotlight on the Kinks": :wave:

[​IMG]

I myself have owned this set since about the mid-80's, which for me plays almost like Queen's Greatest Hits in that it's so good I never sought out any of their other releases, until recently when I finally decided to take a "deep plunge" (so to speak), and I am very glad I did. Not sure whether I'll completely catch up with this thread, but I can comment on today's song being discussed:

"Berkeley Mews" - definitely agree with others that this tune, along with so many fine Kinks kompositions from that time period, could easily have fit on a double-LP presentation of Village Green; I own that album now in its German mono re-release I think from 1980 (no gatefold but excellent sound!), and the song of the day on a Past Masters type set from '87 where its music hall/saloon sound functions ably as the closing cut (I can picture Rowlf the Dog playing Nicky Hopkins' awesome piano part! :pug:), sort of like last call at the end of the evening (or the end of the day!): :winkgrin:

The Kinks – The Kinks Are Well Respected Men (1987, Gatefold Sleeve, Vinyl)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really enjoying reading all the great posts here, and look forward to more! :righton:

20. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

I know that in Ray's autobiography, he writes of a woman (forget her name as I don't have the book with me right now) he had what I would call a platonic affair with during his marriage in the late 60s. They hung out at pubs and shared similar interests...a kiss here and there. I'm sure there was plenty of drinking as well...so this relationship is what I think of when I hear Berkley Mews. It never occurred to me that there could be some gay element to it. Just like i don't get the supposed gay element to See My Friends.
    But at the same time, Ray writes in a very ambiguous way so you can interpret as you please, I suppose.

21. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Ok I suck. I said I was going to keep up. I’ll keep it short in an effort to catch part way up at least:

Village Green: Love this one. At this point, I love them all. Ties in thematically, fits perfectly. Catchy (like all their songs). I love the story, he leaves for the big city and loses the girl while he is gone.

Starstruck: What a gorgeous pop song. How the Kinks fell so far out of favor that this tanked on the charts is beyond me. No need to discuss, it’s all in the prior posts in this thread, but it is still mind boggling.

Phenomenal Cat: This song is ridiculous. Yet at this point in this album, how could it not be. Cat travels to Hong Kong, learns enough of life’s secrets that he realizes there is no point worrying about anything (presumably because he, and we all, are all the equivalent of ants scurrying around to get breadcrumbs to survive, as The Big Sky taught us earlier on side one), so he proceeds to sit in a tree and eat himself into a rotund state. All set to a psychedelic stew of music. This album takes you on a trip and I am happy to have a ticket to ride.

All of My Friends: This was the other song I hadn’t liked at first. Fine, you guys are right. It’s so far outside my wheelhouse, I should hate it. I mean, I came to the Kinks via YRGM, I am a metal head. Although I am open to almost any type of music, typically if there are no charging guitars, I am out. So English Music Hall, I mean, c’mon. …and yet, the Kinks do it yet again, off kilter music, wacky lyrics, no real frickin’ guitars to speak of and yet I dig it now. …because it’s so singable alongable with! (My mom would be appalled at my grammar skills)

Wicked Annabelle: It’s all been said already by my fellow posters (but in a much more timely fashion). Proto metal, scary lyrics, all just right up my alley. I love when Dave gets out his guitars and wails. So yup, I like this a lot.

Monica: Love the stylistic shift yet again. This album is all over the place and yet cohesive as hell. Monica is just a fun little song with a Caribbean feel to the music, and at this point, the Kinks can do no wrong in my eyes!

People Take Pictures of Each Other: Another “this is my favorite song on the album” on an album with a lot of favorite songs. I am just going to repeat myself, catchy, thematic, fast paced and great to sing along to. Great way to end a great album.

…and about that. I said I would save my thoughts on the album until I had lived with it a while. And so I have, several weeks of non stop listening are now in fact under my belt. Going in to this, I was not expecting to love this album the way I now do. It is weighted down with the advance notice of its greatness, it doesn’t really RAWK the way I like to rock, and yet, and yet, and yet, holy crickey, does this album rock? YES! does this album deserve all the praise heaped upon it by the critics? Heck YES! I loved the kinks before but wow, this adds a whole new dimension to my appreciation of them. What a freakin achievement.

This album, as well as Face to Face and Something Else, have gotten me really excited to delve into this upcoming period of the kinks. Three incredible albums in a row that I had previously ignored. …and yet, not to get ahead (as I know we are not there yet) but I started listening to Arthur and thus far, I am puzzled because, while I like it, I don’t love it. I will say no more, and rather I will go song by song along with you all and see what you say. I cross my fingers that this process will help me to fall for Arthur the way TKATVGPS has won me over.

…but first, the rest of TKATVGPS in the form of the bonus songs. I’ll work on that next!

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

The woman is called Georgie in the book, although that’s almost definitely a pseudonym invented by Ray.

23. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Mr. Songbird: A simple pop ditty so beautiful in its delivery. Like some of you have already said, this one was easy to love on the first listen. I do think this easily fits on TKATVGPS, I mean really, where else is one going to hear Mr. Songbird sing but in a small town. Growing up in a small town in Connecticut, I heard birds every morning outside my window. What a beautiful sound. Since leaving for law school and then work, I have lived almost exclusively in big cities, where the sound of birds in the morning is non existent. I miss that sound, which makes it easy to get Ray’s point of TKATVGPS. It’s hard to say too much on this one, better just to hum along and enjoy, but it’s top notch, innit?

24. Vagabone

Vagabone Forum Resident

Berkeley Mews
    Another classic-sounding old timey tune à la "Sitting By the Riverside". Would have made yet another good album track.

Artistically, I am leaning toward the idea that The Kinks Are... should have been a double album, but the trouble is, that would have meant it was more expensive, and thus would have sold even less, I guess.

25. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Berkekey Mews
    I love this song!
    I first heard it on KINKS KRONIKLES and loved it right away.
    The bass is fantastic and the lyrics are funny.
    Great mix of a music hall style with a more modern rock style.
    (5/5)