The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Well, for one thing a tambourine was added which is not present in the 12-track album's mix nor in the mono mix.

John Mendelsohn's too (see liner notes to The Great Lost Kinks Album).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  2. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Forum Resident

still catching up...

Kentucky Moon
    Really like this one. As Mark pointed out, it's really fun how the vocal and piano straddle each other. Ray's vocal gets pretty high and that's lovely. And when Dave's guitar comes in - that's a treat as well. I think this should have been on MH.

Nobody's Fool
    Seems like a solid song, but very reminiscent of some stuff on Percy.

3. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Yeah. I was wrong. I agree with @Martyj that it’s definitely Robert Woolsey. I am not very familiar with him.

DISKOJOE, side3, Smiler and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wondergirl

Kinks Kronickles
    While growing up, my neighbors mustn't have had this album as I didn't know non-album/non-single tunes on it. And somehow during my various Kinks mini-obsessions over the years, I still hadn't run into it. I guess my husband had the album but we lost in a flood a long time ago.

But listening to it now, it's fantastic and definitely a good introduction for those who want to know a bit more about the Kinks. But yeah, weird that VGPS wasn't better represented.

5. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

I love Ducks on the wall and You got me going. I purchased an album by a Finnish cover band who performed Ducks on the wall in Finnish.

6. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

I wonder if the Wiggles wrote a”better” song about ducks too :shh:

All Down The Line and DISKOJOE like this.
  7. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Ok. The “wink” emoji would have been useful there. Words are so limiting sometimes.

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Decide for yourself…

9. LX200GPS

LX200GPS Forum Resident

This was the first "new" Kinks release I bought sometime around October 1972. Muswell Hillbillies found its way onto my record player the following spring. Looking back I really can't remember if I bought Kronikles before or after this one but 1972 and 1973 were good years for me as a Kinks fan. Lots of new stuff available, for me anyway, in the record shop. During these two years I got Arthur, Lola Part One, Lola (Hallmark), Golden Hour, Kronikles, Muswell Hillbillies and Everybody's in Showbiz. Now that's what you call a golden period for a fan and the following year would bring Preservation.

During this time I remember coming home one day with the HMV bag and my elder brother asking me what I bought. So I laid the bag down on the bed and carefully took out Arthur and his, disappointed, response was "another Kinks LP"? He thought I had bought just the one album but then I slowly took out another (Lola) and he just shook his head. In 1974 he took me to my first Kinks concert.

When I got to hear the studio versions of the MH tracks that were on the live portion of Everybody's in Showbiz I remember feeling a bit underwhelmed as I thought they sounded a bit claustrophobic compared to their live cousins. Thinking about it now, comparing the sound production, I am very happy this album doesn't sound anything like MH. I don't mind the brass on this album but it kind of irritates slightly on MH. I like all the tracks on the studio album. No clunkers here for me.

10. ARL

ARL Forum Resident

The snippet of that Mike Saunders review from the Jon Savage biography:

"Well, this does it. If dismal albums this year from the Beach Boys, Stones, Hollies, Procul Harum, Lou Reed, Van Morrison, Arthur Lee and Creedence Clearwater hadn't publicly closed the lid on the last remains of sixties rock, the Kinks' new album irreversibly nails it shut. Everybody's In Showbiz is abysmal beyond belief, a totally worthless album from the same group that was responsible for so many rock 'n' roll masterpieces of the sixties."

I assume the Stones album being referenced is Exile On Main Street, the Lou Reed album Transformer? Don't think there are too many describing those as "dismal" these days! It would appear that Mike thought metal was the future.

11. Wondergirl

Agree! I do not like the cover at all. the color, the graphics, the comics, the pic of Ray with his head leaning back. Yes, it looks cheap and not well thought out. Honestly, I don't know how the Kinks have so many bad covers. You would think a monkey throwing poo at a blank canvas might have a decent chance of making a better one. LOL. I kid. But only a little. Would love to have had a shot at making a better one. OH well.

12. Wondergirl

I have been intrigued and curious as to exactly where the frozen image on the video above is from? I just love the way Ray looks. Is that the photo shoot from the Sleepwalker album?

13. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The Lou Reed album is probably his self-titled debut, which was considered a major disappointment at the time.

14. Smiler

Smiler Forum Resident

I get it! I could barely get through Muswell Hillbillies and I thought it was just because I don't really care for country/roots music - but I'm actually enjoying these live versions. While country/roots/blues will never be my favorite type of music, I've decided it was the boxy production on MH that killed them for me. Plus I think most of them were designed to be performed in a loose, boozy setting.

15. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

It's probably from the early 70s footage. That video was mostly footage from the early 70s & the late 80s

P.S.: Did you have a good time? Welcome back.

CheshireCat and Zeki like this.
  16. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

Everybody's In Showbiz

This, like every single album that comes after it, is new to me. My Kinks albumness ends with Muswell Hillbillies. When I first explored the Kinks around 20 years ago, I had their early hits, plus Lola, Father Christmas, Come Dancing, Do It Again ... and, Celluloid Heroes. I knew it wasn't a hit, and I am not sure how I found out about it, because I don't think it was played on classic rock radio at all. But somehow I heard it was a great song, so I had that one too. So that's the only song I knew on this album, when I started listening to it a couple weeks ago. The album is a pleasant listen, some songs are growing on me. Some I would absolutely love if it was just about something else... but, we'll if I grow to absolutely love those too even being about what they area about... I am glad to get a track written by Dave. The live album was ok, have only listened to that one once or twice. Sloppy is probably the right word for some of those live cuts... Maybe it would have been better to release this in an alternate universe when it could have been a bonus DVD of concert footage and not just audio. I do find it interesting that the album title is not a song title, but rather from a lyric from a song. And the back cover has the next lyric "Everybody's a star". Just an interesting choice, and I don't really have an opinion of that's good or bad. Just, interesting.

Overall, I can see this a step down from nearly all the previous albums. But really, can you imagine how hard it must be to continually make 10/10 classic album after 10/10 classic album? Some of the songs seem like the kind of things the Beach Boys were doing in 1971 and 1972, with some songs about food, feet, and health, and those are not my favorite Beach Boys songs...

But anyway, looking forward to going through song by song here and learning more!

17. Wondergirl

Yes, had a very good time. Thanks for asking!

Anyway, I need to find exactly where that image is from as I'm a bit obsessed about it.

palisantrancho and DISKOJOE like this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Ha! And the Van Morrison is ‘St. Dominic’s Preview.’ I really enjoy reading real-time, pre-pedestal, before sainthood reviews.
    Edit: CCR was Mardi Gras so no further comment needed

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I already finished my write-up for tomorrow…so will push send in the a.m. even if I cheat and read what’s posted ahead of me.

20. palisantrancho

I feel the opposite. I love it and think it’s a perfect cover for the loose and fun record contained within.

These strong opinions on both sides are going to become more and more frequent. The days of everyone being pretty much on the same page are over. I’m hoping it should make for some interesting conversation.

21. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

Which I gotta say, is a great cover version IMO!

DISKOJOE likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Candy Darling was also referenced on Citadel in 1967 from the Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request LP .

23. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Um there are cover variants?

DISKOJOE likes this.
  24. Michael Streett

Michael Streett Senior Member

Per Andrew Sandoval’s liner notes in the Village Green Super Deluxe, Ray first mixed Do You Remember Walter? into stereo for that 12 song European version scheduled for release Sept 19, 1968. After this first mix was done, Ray went back and overdubbed acoustic guitar and tambourine to the track and remixed it for stereo for release on the revised 15 track UK and US Nov 1968 releases. This same mix scenario applies to People Take Pictures Of Each Other.
    They also recorded several more tracks in Oct 1968 that ended up on the revised 15 track album.

25. palisantrancho

Ha ha. That's brutal! I'm definitely not a fan of Mike Saunders. I'll take his so called worthless albums over his worthless review. These 1972 albums are:

Kinks- Everybody's In Show-biz
    Beach Boys- Carl and The Passions/So Tough
    Rolling Stones- Exile On Main Street
    The Hollies- Romany
    Procol Harum- Broken Barricades? It came out in 1971
    Lou Reed- Lou Reed
    Van Morrison- Saint Dominic's Preview
    Arthur Lee- Vindicator
    Creedence Clearwater Revival- Mardi Gras

I have not heard all of these albums, but I'm pretty sure The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, and Van Morrison records are considered classics. I'm also a fan of the Arthur Lee and The Beach Boys albums. Maybe they are not perfect albums, but are any of these records abysmal? Lou got off to a slow start, but he also released the amazing Transformer record a few months after the debut.

Now I need to listen to The Hollies and the Creedence albums.