The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. pyrrhicvictory

pyrrhicvictory Forum Resident

Seeing ‘Phobia’ in a tie with ‘Something Else’ just goes to show how statistics can be deceiving...I demand a recount...personally, I score it SE 4.6 P 2.9

...and what of the Russian judges?

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘chiseled’ :D (for concrete)

mark winstanley, DISKOJOE and Vangro like this.
  3. pyrrhicvictory

A friend I trumpeted this song to a couple years ago left me deflated when he mentioned this gaffe. As an apologist I speculated that Ray meant ‘stepping’ but he didn’t say that, did he? In an interview Ray is asked about the song and any connection it may have to his sister Rene. Ray responds by reciting that exact line without further comment by either he or the interviewer. Maybe he’s unaware of the error or simply liked the way it sounded. Ray goes on to say it was about Rene and that she actually died while dancing to ‘Surrey with the Fringe on Top’ at Lyceum Ballroom. After reading that his wording no longer mattered much to me.

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Hi Mark, here’s my (almost inevitable) nitpick: you need to find space for ‘Time Song’ somewhere in there, which is an early 1973 song that was included on the VGPS box, and that we held off discussing back then cos it was an out of time track. I’d suggest maybe between Golden Hour and the Pres intro?

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Wow! Care to point out where you can be seen?

6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

The revised official AJ approved schedule :) :righton:

Monday
    Top Of The Pops - Brainwashed - Mr Wonderful

Tuesday
    Acute Schizophrenia - Holiday

Wednesday
    Muswell Hillbilly - Alcohol

Thursday
    Banana Boat Song - Skin And Bone - Baby Face - Lola

Friday
    Til The End Of The Day - You're Looking Fine

Saturday
    Get Back In Line - Have A Cuppa Tea - Sunny Afternoon

Monday
    Complicated Life - She Bought a Hat Like Princess Marina - Long Tall Shorty

Tuesday
    History (studio outtake)

Wednesday
    The Great Lost Kinks Album

Thursday
    Dave Davies - Cradle To The Grave (Decade)

Friday
    Dave Davies - Midnight Sun (Decade)

Saturday
    Dave Davies - Mystic Woman (Decade)

Monday
    Dave Davies - The Journey (Decade)

Tuesday
    Dave Davies - Shadows (Decade)

Wednesday
    Golden Hour Of The Kinks Vol 2 (for reference)
    Time Song

Thursday
    Preservation Act 1 introduction

7. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

4:10-4:12, as they pan the rows. My torso is in the earlier ticket taking scene, too! I had a jean jacket. So did lots of guys, tho! I think I'm in an audience shot during Low Budget, too, if I'm remembering the right song, just a blur in the audience.

8. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

MCA-Mourn, Caustic Avid

9. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Don’t forget Sophisticated Lady! Perhaps with History?

mark winstanley likes this.
  10. mark winstanley

Sophisticated Lady will be with Money Talks, as that's what it turned into :righton:

Unless folks want to discuss it as a separate track?

ajsmith and croquetlawns like this.
  11. croquetlawns

I don’t see Money Talks on the list you posted above?

DISKOJOE and mark winstanley like this.
  12. mark winstanley

It is on Preservation pt2

DISKOJOE and ajsmith like this.
  13. croquetlawns

Sorry, I completely forgot - I assumed it was an outtake.:hide:

14. mark winstanley

S'all good mate

DISKOJOE and croquetlawns like this.
  15. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

16. markelis

markelis Forum Resident

*Posting late and without reading others comments so sorry if I redundant:

Celluloid Heroes: A truly great epic, and I love epics. I grew up on the One From The Road version, and I do prefer it to the studio version. In fact, I had no use for this version the first few times I heard it in years past, I kept waiting for Dave’s marvelous emotional solos he plays on the live version. As I approached this album for this thread though, I decided I had to go in with an open mind. After a few listens, with an effort to disregard for my knowledge of the live version, this version clicked nicely. Honestly, I figured it would as the same had already happened for me with 20th Century Man, of which I also already knew and loved the live take. I will leave it to you all to asses the lyrics and the secret messages and references to earlier songs hidden cleverly therein by Ray. I will just give it a big thumbs up.

17. mark winstanley

There are no redundant posts. If twenty people all post the same thing, it isn't redundant, it's confirmation people :)

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

LOL-a?

ajsmith, DISKOJOE, Fischman and 3 others like this.
  19. All Down The Line

Do it, they would still have style!

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Indeed. Because if I “like” a post it doesn’t necessarily mean I agree with everything in the post. So it’s always worth posting your own thoughts.

21. All Down The Line

Looks superb, erm met "in passing" eh?

22. All Down The Line

How was that book, I scanned it when i once spotted it in an expensive book store but couldn't get much of a guest in doing so so briefly?

23. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

I could use words like pedantry and overly critical, but there’s something deeper going on here that can best be summarized as “That’s a fine mess you’ve gotten us into.” Your attempt at precision has forced me to lay bare the brazen bending of facts that is Celluloid Heroes.

As it turns out, the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Hollywood Blvd has no concrete nor any written words. The sidewalk is charcoal colored terrazzo, the stars are coral-pink terrazzo and the names are inlaid brass letters.

[​IMG]

This is not to say that you can’t find the stars’ names literally written in concrete along with hand and shoe prints. That’s what you’ll find at the forecourt of the Chinese Theater that is fronted by the Walk of Fame. You can step on these, but there are no stars and you can’t step on them while you walk down the boulevard.
    [​IMG]

So Ray has conflated two Hollywood attractions to describe something no more realistic than a bored and downtrodden women’s vision of Oklahoma, USA.

To summarize, I have no problem with pedantry and hypercriticallity, but you have to do in full.:)

24. Scottsol

Scottsol Forum Resident

There are no redundant posts. If twenty people all post the same thing, it isn't redundant, it's confirmation people :)

25. pyrrhicvictory

John Mendelssohn would surely approve of this post...I know I do...

Ex-Fed, Zeki and mark winstanley like this.