The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

"Wait Till the Summer Comes Along" wouldn't be mistaken for a great song. It'll do, I suppose. Odd to see it leading off the EP. Dave's vocal is quite weary. Not awful. Gotta give him points for trying. Eventually the band would start spending more time on their recordings. Of course one day this could hit me as some incredible deep cut.

"Such a Shame" - I mean, I guess. Vain, shame, pain, same, vain, shame. There are some songs I just don't get the appeal of. I'm getting surprised how many tossed off songs like this are in the early catalog. Was there ever a reason not to release a song Ray had written?

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

And reverted back to Ray on the 2015 reissue.[​IMG]

3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

Wait’Til the Summer Cimes Along-everybody’s gotta start somewhere but I don’t like it. Skipper.

such a shame//much better but not top tier. Great middle eight. Good guitar and drums. Seems a bit sluggish.

4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Goddamn! I guess they were just cloning the original release to be fair. I do always slightly wonder how much of those Ray mis-credits on early Dave writes or co writes down the years have been down to carelessness or whether there has on occassion been something more dubious going on.. after Dave started doing his 'solo but still the Kinks' songs from Something Else onwards, there never seemed to be the same issue, and from then on there was a more definite delineation between Ray songs and Dave songs.

5. That's kwyte enough of that.

6. Keep it all coming thanks. The visuals and audios accompanying the songs have been a treat :)

7. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

I've never been fully convinced that "Groovy Movies"—credited to Ray—isn't a Dave song; mostly because I like to believe that the man who wrote the lyrics to "Days" and "Waterloo Sunset" is above writing an entire song around the inspirational discovery that "movie" rhythms with "groovy."

8. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Ha, have to admit I've sometimes wondered that myself. If so, it would be the only case where a song was mis credited to Ray instead of Dave....

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

This could sometimes happen on Beach Boys releases where a song is credited to just "Wilson" without specifying which Wilson it is.

mark winstanley and ajsmith like this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

BMI songview database has it as 100% Ray Davies:
    WAIT TILL SUMMER COMES ALONG

• TOTAL % CONTROLLED WORK ID
      BMI 100% 1595816
      ISWC
    Writers / Composers
    % CONTROLLEDBMI: 50%
    WRITERS / COMPOSERS CURRENT AFFILIATION IPI #
    DAVIES RAYMOND DOUGLAS PRS 7595574
    Performers
    No Data Available
    Publishers
    % CONTROLLEDBMI: 50%
    PUBLISHERS CURRENT AFFILIATION IPI #
    JAY-BOY MUSIC CORP BMI 15197691
    275 NORTH MIDDLETOWN ROAD SUITE 1A
    PEARL RIVER, NY 10965
    + 44 (207) 385-7700
    [email protected]
    View Catalog

Wondergirl, CheshireCat, FJFP and 2 others like this.
  11. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Wait Till The Summer Comes Along
    Wow... so country, and then so folky. Not my favorite fusion, but it works wee for me here. A pleasant surprise for sure.

Such a Shame
    All the good times have been in vain...

You've heard of Debbie Downer? Well, here's a early installment of Ray Downer. Another song I shouldn't like on paper, but I have to say this is really good. That electric guitar entry will certainly get your attention, too!

A solid EP so far.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

While I have the database open. Ray Davies is credited with 586 work titles. FYI.

13. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Wait Till The Summer Come's Along"

An excellent first Komposition by Kwyet Dave (but now who wrote it is up for debate). It sounds like it's on the same path of some songs on Help. A country and folk feel that is reminiscent of songs like "I've Just Seen A Face" and "Act Naturally". I don't know what was recorded first, but it's interesting how many rock n roll bands during this period were trying out a country/folk approach to some songs. I'm sure there must be somewhere Dave has commented on what inspired this song? This is a lovely melody and intimate vocal by the 18 year old Dave. My favorite Dave song so far and it's an original no matter who wrote it!

"Such a Shame"

This one doesn't make as strong of an impression. I do like the guitar sound, but it feels a bit like a demo and quickly tossed off. Did anyone else record this song? I get the impression that it originally could have been a demo to send to other artists. Maybe The Lemonheads should have put it on their album It's A Shame About Ray. :)

14. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

"Wait Till The Summer Comes Along"
    The Kinks prove that they aren't a one trick pony with this country-fried tune. First time they've shown any leaning towards a country vein if I'm not mistaken. Ray will explore this kind of music much more successfully later in their career, most notably on Muswell Hillbillies. A very good Kinks' song and one of my favorites from the first 3 albums

"Such A Shame"
    Good Kinks' song but ultimately they are just treading water on this track. Not that it's a bad song just not required hearing either.

The MEZ, mark winstanley and Fortuleo like this.
  15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm still positive Dave wrote 'Summer' and that the BMI listing is likely a clerical error: it just sounds so much like him. It's yearning/troubled demeanor has so much in common with the 1967-69 solo songs he wrote that express/deal with his torment at being forcibly separated (by the mutual agreement of both families) from his girlfriend Sue after he got her pregnant.

He was haunted by not being able to see the daughter he had with her for the next 30 years, until he was eventually able to track her down. I think that accounts for how Dave could sound relatively deep at this tender age, as he had already had to deal with such a heavy situation.

16. Martyj

Martyj Who dares to wake me from my slumber? -- Mr. Flash

Re: authorship of "Summer"

Page 84 of Dave's 1996 autobiography, writing about Kwyet Kinks: "...We did include a song I had written during a moment of depression and reflection, "Wait Till the Summer Comes Along," which was about loss and regret."

That should settle it.

17. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: The only tune on this EP that genuinely lives up to the adjective, "Kwyet." Two of the other tracks actually get pretty loud in places, and the 3rd I would describe as singing with normal volume. I've always heard this as being cut from the same cloth as "So Long" from the previous album, except that it's in A instead of G. Once again, I'll mention that a couple of months later, Donovan released his 2nd album, "Fairy Tale," and if you enjoy this song, you'll absolutely love that entire album.
    :kilroy: Peppered throughout this track, we get a little glimpse of what would eventually become the instrumental break in "Rosemary Rose." There is no doubt that Ray's two favorite keys are G and it's relative, E minor. Musically, it's pretty much cut from the same mold as "I've Got That Feeling" in that it's in a minor key, and it's uptempo. The bridge is definitely not "Kwyet" at all. It's catchy and easy to dance to, but I don't care for the fact that it arbitrarily has one verse that rhymes:

All the good times have all been in vein
    It's a shame, such a shame, such a shame.

...While the other two, obviously don't:

I would if I could but I can't

But I was the one who was doing wrong

18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

That's funny. I still love that song though.

It does seem like something Ray would have written a few years later around the Show-biz period. If he did write it, maybe that song is a sort of seed for that later concept.

19. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Kan't kwit.
    I don't know who started this practice because it's silly but nevertheless I am kompelled to kontinue doing it.

20. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Oooof, when did that happen?

mark winstanley likes this.
  21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Round about 1962 I think. The ‘Schoolboys In Disgrace’ album is pretty much Ray’s conceptual dramatisation of these events.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I really enjoy Fairy Tale.
    I have the dvd audio with the extra tracks, so I have never heard the album as just the album, but it is really very good.

23. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Except that he pronounces can't as "cain't" to make it almost rhyme... Doesn't he?

24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Nice shout out for Donovan. The picking and lyrics are somewhat Donovan in style. Now I want to hear Donovan sing it! It's also reminiscent of Donovans debut album What's Been Did and What's Been Hid, which came out a few months before Kwyet Kinks. I love Donovan and think Fairy Tale is brilliant.

25. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

Which is very close to the French "Mr. Pleasant" EP, which I think of as a legit EP release.

There's a funny article posted on page 12 of the Pye Anthology booklet titled "Kinks Declare War on Singles.". It promotes the upcoming Kwyet Kinks release, and quotes Ray as saying "I hope we don't have to make singles again."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2021