The Kinks - Album by Album (song by song)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Apr 4, 2021.

1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Agree on the Marriott vocals in places.
    As for the bass I note on some cuts we get the ever versatile & legendary Charlie McCoy, you don't remember that rubber legged boy?

2. All Down The Line

Yes, as Jack White says; "It bears repeating now!"

3. All Down The Line

Didn't an Eagle say she was often that way?

4. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Doing a little Easter morning housekeeping on here. From the extra Low Budget tracks, I really like Hidden Quality and Nuclear Love. Duke is very intriguing but I reckon it would come across better with a folk arrangement, maybe like a John Prine song?

Now then, I appreciate all the riffs and that harder rock edge on what I've heard from the Dave solo record so far. He sounds like he's been listening to the music that was around at the time and he does a fine job of employing those elements in his work here. My picks thus far would be Doing The Best For You (Sniff N' The Tears synth pop) and Nothing More To Lose ( I get and Angels/Angel City vibe here - right up my alley).

5. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

:laughup: I'm no expert on their solo work but I have a decent Gabriel collection and am looking forward to seeing Steve Hackett for the second time in a few months. He is someone who's guitar skills are remarkably undimmed despite the years. That's my segue into the category of lead guitarists who really should have collaborated with singers (as Hackett does) instead of singing themselves. Exhibit A is Dave Davies, whose voice even most Kinks fans concede is an acquired taste. I've always wondered why he didn't try recording with other singers. Other examples of guitarists who need or needed singers include Joe Bonamassa, Mark Knopfler and Neil Young. I'm not inviting an argument - this is a matter of personal taste.

6. The late man

The late man Forum Resident

I love Neil Young's voice, but sometimes I think he could have used another guitarist, and other musicians as well. :)

Hackett is cool, I'd like to see him in concert too. Some of his XXIst century work is good, but what I heard of his most recent output tends to rely a little too much on cliché minor chord progressions in my opinion. I tend to prefer his earlier work. His 1975 debut Voyage of the Acolyte is incredible.

There are few Genesis solo project that would not have benefitted from Peter Gabriel's vocals and Hackett and Banks' songwriting and playing. What a waste. Gabriel's solo career is nice, but he seldom has enough original musical ideas to fill a whole record.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

No idea about Bonamassa but Knopfler and Young??!!!!!

You’re practically begging for one! :D

I’ll say.

And the chaos of free-form Sunday begins! :D

8. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

9. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Sorry. I did say my examples of guitarists who shouldn't be singing while slinging was a matter of personal taste. Of the four guitarists I mentioned, Bonamassa arguably has the best voice but it's neither strong nor distinctive. Knopfler and Young have distinctive voices but that's the only positive thought I have about them.
    And @Zeki you are right. I wouldn't have posted that message on any other day. :winkgrin:

10. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Had I wanted an argument I might have mentioned Jimi Hendrix, but I'd never do something like that. :hide: I love his singing. Really.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

lol I'm staying out of it ... lots of favourites getting a pasting there

12. mark winstanley

lol

You're in a stirring mood today :)

13. mark winstanley

Well I am currently breaking down the One For The Road Songs.... I'm about half way through it, because I'm still not sure how I'll lay it down here, and a lot of that is probably going to come down to whether anybody participates with the enthusiasm I have for it...... and if it is just @markelis and me who are enthusiastic I suppose I will need to relent and do two a day.... but hopefully folks will see how stunning this live album is ... but either way it'll work out.
    I know it's a live album, and I would imagine every one is pretty clear that I love the Kinks studio albums .... but at this stage One For The Road, for me, is the Kinks greatest album .... so if you want some Kontroversy, there it is :)

14. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

I'm also up for it. It's a pretty good album & I'm more enthused to discuss it than what we're discussing now.

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I liked Dave’s lead vocals in the early to Lola-era days. And I don’t mind his lower register vocal on yesterday’s one song (whichever one it was! The second one, I think).

16. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

You mean Dave's album, Gengis Duke's cancer or Jimi Hendrix's and Mark Knopfler's talent as singers ? :shh:

Myself, I'm good with however @Mark wants to handle this. I think two (for the road) would be better because the songs have been discussed already and because otherwise, with Glamour also coming up, it's gonna be almost two months between two Kinks studio albums and I'm afraid some of us (yes, I'm thinking about you @palisantrancho!) might jump ship which would be really sad…
    But as they say, a good thread has to be an authoritarian democracy: everybody has the right to speak their mind, and in the end, the chief decides…

17. mark winstanley

That's why I say I'll have to read the thread, as best I can.
    Some songs certainly will work in a two a day setting, because there isn't that much to discuss. There will be more to discuss about the differences between the album and video versions, than the songs themselves. A couple of songs really should require a day on their own, if folks are really paying attention.... but we'll see how it flies.

18. ThereOnceWasANote

ThereOnceWasANote Forum Resident

I don't think seeing it as their best should cause any Kontroversy. One For The Road means more to the Kinks than most live albums do to other bands. It is a rare live album that stands on its own merits right up there with a band's studio output. The only song really MIA is Waterloo Sunset other than that it covers pretty much all of the bases of the Kinks Kareer up to that point.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’d double up on the live album and then am stumped as to how to handle the glamorous Dave. If it does mean a two-month gap before another studio Kinks, that’s a concern.

20. mark winstanley

For the record, we spent over a month on the single album The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society......

Ok, I guess it's time to bite the bullet ....this is how it's going to roll, and hopefully everyone will be onboard with it, I'm trying to take everything into account here, and I kind of guess this is a middle ground that likely won't make anybody happy, but will mean we aren't on the album too much longer than folks that don't like it can deal with, and folks like me that love it can accept it.

April 18th Monday - The World Is Changing Hands - Move Over
    Tuesday - See The Beast - Imaginations Real
    Wednesday - In You I Believe - Run - Wild Man - album summary
    Thursday - One For The Road - The Video - The EP - How the 79 setlists fit in
    Friday - Opening - Hardway
    Saturday - Catch Me Now I'm Falling - Where Have All The Good Times Gone

April 25th Monday - Lola - Pressure
    Tuesday - Twentieth Century Man
    Wednesday - Misfits - Prince Of The Punks
    Thursday - Stop Your Sobbing - Low Budget
    Friday - Attitude - Superman
    Saturday - National Health - Till The End Of The Day

May 2nd Monday - Celluloid Heroes
    Tuesday - You Really Got Me - Victoria
    Wednesday - David Watts and album summary
    Thursday - Dave Davies Glamour introduction - Is This The Only Way?
    Friday - Glamour - Reveal Yourself
    Saturday - World Of Our Own - Body

May 9th Monday - Too Serious - Telepathy
    Tuesday - Seventh Channel - Eastern Eyes - album summary
    Wednesday - Give The People What They Want album intro
    etc

Hopefully that is a middle ground that will come closer to suiting everybody

21. mark winstanley

In order to not choke up any of those days, I'm going to post this one here now

The 1980 Waterloo Sunset EP
    [​IMG]

Kinks* – Waterloo Sunset

Genre:Rock
    Style:Beat, Pop Rock, Classic Rock
    Year:1980
    Tracklist

Waterloo Sunset
    David Watts
    A Well Respected Man
    Stop Your Sobbin'

I assume this is another release attempting to take advantage of the Kinks new found popularity.
    Certainly 4 great songs, and I assume something that EP collectors may want, but nothing of huge importance to me.

Perhaps one of our experts has something more for this release, but that is all I have really.

[​IMG]

22. mark winstanley

A quote from one of the write ups I just did sums it up for me

"We have songs from every era of the band, 64, 65, 67, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 75, 77, 78, 79....
    That's pretty comprehensive coverage of the band's career, even if people don't necessarily think it is the best selection of songs, for their personal taste, or favourites or whatever... but the argument that this is just "the new songs", or just the Low Budget songs, doesn't stand up under scrutiny.
    What this album actually does, is put to bed any of the Kinks sold out notions. this idea that the band were suddenly playing something they weren't really known for, or something along those lines.... All these songs that cover every era of the band fit together perfectly. There isn't one track that suddenly sounds like it doesn't belong with the other songs here..... and sure the sound is the sound of 79/80's Kinks, but why wouldn't it be, it is 79/80...."

So sorry, but anyone that reads the posts will read that again, but it is the conclusion that I have come to from my explorations of One For the Road.
    I currently have 24 posts in my email inbox (as that's the only place I have to store them lol) waiting to be posted lol

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Perfect! :righton:

24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Harrumph: ‘Sunny Afternoon’ would like a word!

25. mark winstanley

It's a fantastic song, but the word is even in the early seventies Ray was just running through it to get it out of the way. I would hate to have a version that they weren't getting into for eternity on a live album.