The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mikey471

Mikey471 Forum Resident

I would also love a 5.1 mix of the album to be included.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek Thread Starter

I'm not particularly interested in any sort of remix, or even a fancy box set - just a AAA reissue of the vinyl (with the best possible mastering/pressing/packaging).

That should be a no-brainer.

Paully, sound chaser, hishou and 5 others like this.
  3. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

My favorite Kinks album by a longshot. Don't really think it NEEDS to be remixed, the original 1970 stereo mix is great as it is, but this needs a proper AAA reissue. Even mid 70s Reprise reissues which are some of the cheaper, still good sounding pressings are close to $50 sometimes and original UK pressings are $100 for a minty one. Of course if there is any unreleased stuff hiding, this would be the time to finally let us hear it officially, but other than unreleased stuff, just put out a good reissue, this album is hard to find on vinyl!

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

Actually, no. A masterful reissue all around. True, some better packaging choices could have been made, but this was an exemplary boxset - and the price was great too.

ajsmith and Cervelo like this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm just looking forward to a quality reissue of Lola... on vinyl. I really hope it isn't combined with Percy like the last deluxe edition. I didn't bother with that but I bought the previous deluxe editions. I'd be in for a Percy vinyl reissue though.

Neonbeam and astro70 like this.
  6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The original UK vinyl edition is perfect as it is. It sounds extremely effective. There's zero need for a remix, it's a great sounding piece of wax. The first West German pressing is fantastic as well.

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original UK is great sounding. Probably the best sounding Kinks Pye album, though nowhere near the best music to me. The problem is a lot of the original pressings have a pressing fault that jump in the same place, when The Contenders kicks in after the acoustic intro. I've had two that jumped in the exact same place. I'm not taking chances on anymore. I was going to buy a later Pye UK pressing or a PRT one, but I'll hold out for the reissue later this year.

8. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I have one of those! When I got the CD that didn't jump, it didn't sound right anymore!

Buddybud, Timjosephuk and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wished I'd heard that first! I spent ages trying to get rid of that jump, not realising it was pressed into the record. Probably made it worse.

ODShowtime likes this.
  10. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I have 4 versions - Castle 1989, a 1998 Essential Records reissue, a 2014 reissue and an HDTracks hi res download. The Castle 1989 is the only one that doesn't sound compressed. There may be other issues that are good or better.

Carl Swanson and Man at C&A like this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Overall I can't stand the 1998 remasters, but Lola is one of the better sounding ones. The Kink Kontroversy 1998 is the worst remaster I've ever heard by anyone.

Adam9, Neonbeam and eeglug like this.
  12. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I have the PRT 1987 disc, and I've always suspected I could improve on it.

eeglug likes this.
  13. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

If the vinyl reissue sounds as good as the Arthur one, I'll be a happy camper.

sound chaser and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That's wonderful. I was ecstatic with that!

15. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

I've heard favorable things about the PRTs generally speaking; I'm not sure how specifically the PRT Lola fares against the Castle. I have Village Green Preservation Society on both PRT and Castle and I can't hear the difference between them though they may be digitally distinguishable. You've probably got a pretty good disc already.

16. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I will say that I've heard nothing negative about the PRT disc.

I guess I'll leave well enough alone, unless I see the Castle 1989 at a thrift or something.

eeglug likes this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Fair enough!

18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I would go for a nice 3 cd box of Lola etc without a black plastic dust catcher, they can release that separately. And next to that a cd/dvd release of Percy with the movie included.

Timjosephuk likes this.
  19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Thank you! I thought it was just mine!

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Mike M.

Mike M. Well-Known Member

My hope & dream for 2020 Kinks: To build on what Claxton said: For the Lola 50th, new written material by Ray and Dave with Mick playing drums and John Dalton playing bass to complete Part 2, using the 2 tracks we already know to supplement them. Make it a double album within the SDE (it's already a gatefold). Add Percy for a total of 3 albums. Include demos of new material (Let It Be style), hell include a documentary of it too. Imagine the cd's that could be mined from something like that....

I may have been dreaming but I kind of remember Ray commenting on some interesting stuff that was laying around from that period that for whatever reason, time probably, never got fleshed out.

Also in my dream: How about a Pye singles box? I think they stand up with any group's output, Beatles, Stones, Who included.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No offence but that sounds horrible. "Lola" is what it is. Newly written and recorded material, "finishing" the album after 50 years, who actually wants - or even needs - that kind of revisionism? A box like that would do the "Lola" album a severe disservice, sorry.

A Pye a singles box needed to be done carefully, as replica of originals to be worthwhile. And I don't think the label is up to standards like that.

Most likely it would look like those 7-inches included in the "Village Green" super deluxe. Cheap Record Store Day-like.

No thanks!

22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I would LOVE that kind of Kinks reunion box for a Lola 50th: if only because it would mean something tangible would finally have come of the ‘new material’ reunion rumours that have been swirling around (circling the drain?) for so very, very long....

I also think there’s almost no chance of it happening, but hope springs eternal.....

23. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It is possible. Maybe this is the old unfinished material they were talking about last year.

24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It’s possible in theory, it’s just that Lucy Van Pelt has pulled that football away too many times in the past for me to believe it until I’m listening to it...

Surferghost and croquetlawns like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I saw another original UK Lola LP in a second record shop today. I played it in the shop and the jump was there again in exactly the same spot. I'd have probably bought it otherwise.

ODShowtime likes this.