The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

this movie was very hard to sit through. went in fully aware of the story but also trepidatious due to other films by this director. and his work/choices are why i left disappointed. 3 female performances were quite good but the inauthentic dialog and the heavily sexual tone was distracting. and above all else, if you enjoy a good soundtrack, be prepared to HATE the so called music here. Spoiler*********
    during many sequences, there is a constant two note droning of a violin and a piano(i think). like this-scratch thunk scratch thunk scratch thunk. this goes on for interminable minutes in more than one section and it made me want to run out of the theatre.
    worst most annoying so called music i can remember ever in a film. you have been warned.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I know The Favourite is on all sorts of Best Of lists, but even after seeing the trailer at least 10 times, there is nothing that is making me want to see this film.

3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Saw it last night and I loved it. But then again, I'm all for a movie that makes audiences uncomfortable. And there are tons of uncomfortable moments in the movie. Definitely not for everyone. A very, very dark comedy. Would not surprise me to see some acting Oscar noms out of this (especially Olivia Colman, who was fantastic).

I also really enjoyed Lanthimos' last two movies, though. Just my sensibilities, I suppose.

mr. steak likes this.
  4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The Favourite leads awards race with 14 Critics' Choice nominations

[​IMG]

"Period comedy The Favourite has solidified its position as an early leader in the awards race after securing 14 nominations in the Critics’ Choice awards. Directed by Yorgos Lanthimos and starring Olivia Colman as Queen Anne, The Favourite is up for best picture, best comedy, best director and best original screenplay, as well as receiving comprehensive nods for its cast: best actress and best comedy actress for Colman, best supporting actress for Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz, and best ensemble.

The Critics’ Choice awards, given by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, are considered an accurate barometer of Oscar tastes: The Shape of Water took four awards here last year, when 17 out of 19 common categories had the same winner. It comes after last week’s somewhat inconclusive set of Golden Globes nominations, in which the Dick Cheney comedy Vice, with six nominations, just edged music-star drama A Star Is Born, The Favourite and race-discrimination road movie Green Book, all with five each."

5. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Best scratch thunk scratch thunk scratch thunk in the employment of drawing out tension I've heard since Aguirre Wrath Of God. :agree:

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I was hoping to see The Mule this coming weekend, but it is only Tuesday and my local AMC theater is already sold out for every showing on both Saturday and Sunday. This is five showings each day at a regular old fashioned stadium-seating theater. I have never seen anything like this happen before. I feel like there must be some mistake. :confused:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

My brother, who only sees one or two films in the theater each year, is wanting to go see it.

I suspect a devastatingly effective advertising campaign via AARP.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015).

My watching movies with strangers had dwindled to almost nothing but I wanted to see this on a big screen. So I waited until the end of its run at my local theater and, as I had hoped, there were only a few people who were there to watch rather than talk - great. After a movie I like to watch the credits but on this occasion they were cut off almost immediately and the lights went up.

On my way out I visited the bathroom and half way through an employee opened the door just enough to turn out lights. I guess I was lucky to not get locked in.

And that's the last time I'll be going to a cinema.

9. Chris DeVoe

As I said in the original post: "And can we please not have a discussion about why you haven't gone to the theater in years?"

Funny, those of us who go to the theater every week never have these horrible experiences that the people who rarely go to the theater insist on reporting. Seriously, my wife goes to the theater every single night if possible (she's seeing a film directed by Karen Gillan called The Party's Just Beginning that is only playing at one theater in Chicago tonight) and she never has terrible theater experiences.

It's as if every single discussion about every single LP, EP or 45 had to include someone complaining about how they would prefer to jab ice picks into both ears than ever put up another tick or pop.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    DreadPikathulhu, Efus and brownie61 like this.
  10. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The Grinch. It's sad these days that this is my movie going. But my daughter loved it. I found Benedict Cumberbatch the wrong choice as the Grinch voice. He doesn't bring much to it beyond a restrained voice. I spent half the movie thinking of actors who could bring more to the character and came up with Paul Giamatti. He is a great actor and can do a similar vocal performance as Benedicts but with a bit more....menace when he needs it.

Other than that flatness the movie is fine and definitely safe for younger kids.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

I can highly recommend Ralph Breaks The Internet. I think kids of almost any age would love it, and adults will get a lot of the stuff that's going to zing right over their heads.

12. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Gangs of new york

13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks for this. I also looked at the trailer and shrugged.

14. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Thanks for the recommendation! That's our next one over Christmas.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Creed 2

16. Chris DeVoe

I hope you and your daughter enjoy it.

17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

not quite there with you. especially the comparison. made me want friggin' scream!

18. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I finally have a chance to see The Favourite. Problem is I’m no longer interested in seeing any of the other movies that are out. Not Bohemian Rhapsody, not Green Book, not Creed II—nothing. And I’m not driving 20+ miles to see just one movie.

I may wait another week and see if something else I want to see comes along...

(Btw, I read the pans of The Favourite upthread but they haven’t dissuaded me from seeing it. However, given how disappointing my year at the movies has been, I won’t be surprised if I agree.)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I'm with you. I wish there were more movies that I think that I would enjoy. Saw the nutcracker and the new Fantastic Beasts.

With a nice 10-theater cinema near by that serves food and drink. I would like to attend a movie once a week.

I had the $10/mo. deal with movie pass when it was announced. Dropped it after 6-months, never saw one movie.

I understand the superhero movie thing, but I don't think that the studio's are understanding the potential audience that they are missing.

Monosterio likes this.
  20. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Watched The Favourite last night. Love love loved it. The three leading ladies deserve all the accolades coming their way but Nicholas Hoult should as well. He was as good as any other in the film. It took the ending credits to realize who he was exactly. I knew I knew him but could not specifically place him.

What a look.
    [​IMG]

Once again I thought the movie was amazing. The funniest thing came from an older couple rows ahead. As the ending credits began she turned to her hubby and said loudly 'now that was a weird movie'. The theater laughed at that.

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Vox Lux

I thought it started out with an interesting premise and I thought the first half was good, but have no idea what the second half was trying to say. The film either lost the plot or the message went over my head or both.

I generally like Natalie Portman in her more offbeat roles, but didn’t like her in this.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Went to see Maria by Callas documentary on Maria Callas the other day. Absolutely loved it. Beautifully put together and artistically done. What a talent. Highly Recommend.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The new animated Spider-Man was amazingly good fun. So much color was on the screen at once! We saw it at our favorite 21+ theater with dinner.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

My wife was just astounded by the universally positive reviews of this, which moved her to go see it and she indeed loved it.

25. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Bohemian Rhapsody.