The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yes, it is too rare. They could have achieved about 90% of what they achieved with just a fraction of the budget that they spent.

Better yet.

2. Django

Django Forum Resident

Bladerunner 2.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

It's a shame that it didn't make money. I honestly don't know how much it cost, I paid $5.48 to see it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Cold Pursuit.

5. SandAndGlass

It cost 60-million. Which is why I was saying that they spent way to much money, all in that not that great SFX shots. The rest of the movie could have been shot on a very small budget.

Patrick Stewart was a charm.

Being on the AMC A-List now, is nice, because it takes the price I pay for a movie out of the equation.

Before that, I could be OK with a movie that I paid $6 to see. Where I might not be OK with the same movie, paying $12 to see it.

6. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Upside

I had very low expectations for this one, but I really, really enjoyed it. The trailer I saw umpteen times did not do it justice.

I’m not sure who ever though Kevin Hart and Bryan Cranston would be a good on-screen pair - I for sure would never have thought it could work, but they were great together. This may be the first time I ever liked Kevin Hart, but he was great in this role. Surprisingly, I thought Nicole Kidman was the weak link here.

Lots of laughs here, but definitely a lot of substantial stuff as well. I almost let this one pass me by - I’m glad I ended up seeing it!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

This was the last movie I saw. It was fun. Nice to see Taraji get a good leading comedic role. And Tracey Morgan is great.

I'm embarrassed to say I thought the psychic was Taraji in heavy makeup.

8. Chris DeVoe

Had you seen the original film The Intouchables? I loved that one, and have not been anxious to see this one - too many gay friends to support someone who said he would kill his son if he turned out gay.

9. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

No, I did not see the original.

I don’t particularly care if actors are nice people. I go to see a film where an actor plays a role and for me, what they do outside of that role has no bearing on my opinion of their work. I feel the same way about musicians.

10. Chris DeVoe

Threatening to kill his own flesh and blood for something beyond their control is just beyond the pale. I don't know if Hart is getting a percentage, but the only control I can exercise is with my ticket dollars.

Anyway, do catch the original if you get a chance. It's excellent.

11. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

12. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Wreck It Ralph

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Saw the Oscar Nominated Shorts animated program tonight.
    1. Are they always going to show the Pixar entry first now because Disney's name is on the auditorium...?
    2. All the other nominees showed the filmmakers reactions when they were nominated; did they not show the Pixars, because their reaction would have been, "Oh, that's nice...what's for lunch..."?
    3. Clearly the best one wasn't nominated. But at least three of the second-best ones were.
    4. This years' Oscar Shorts theme is, "The Year Of The Depressed Filmgoer".

14. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

ADORED it!

Great story, beautiful animation, and as the owner of both a black and a white cat, now I look at my cats and see Toothless and the Light Fury.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. SandAndGlass

Thr trailer's for it looked cute. I figured that I would catch it, this upcoming week.

16. Chris DeVoe

I liked the other two, so I should see this one. It seems like a long time since those two.

17. Lownotes

Lownotes Senior Member

Watched Cold Pursuit today. I'm laughing while typing this: we loved it! It's (at least) two movies in one: Taken 18 or whatever, and this GREAT black comedy. I'd watch it again.

mrjinks and Chris DeVoe like this.
  18. SandAndGlass

Saw, Fighting With My Family today. Excellent!

I don't know that this will be any big money winner, but I believe that most who will go to see it will enjoy it. The audience in the theater with me this afternoon seemed to find it enjoyable.

It is based in a true story. The girl on the left, is the real Paige and on the right is Florence Pugh who plays her.

The movie is so not a Hollywood studio production and has an authentic real feeling.

[​IMG]

Here is a link to the History Vs. Hollywood web site about the movie.

Link to a video, where the real Paige meets her movie self, for the first time.

Paige meets "Fighting with My Family" star Florence Pugh for the first time

Florence Paige does an excellent job as the young wrestling star.

Rotten Tomatoes has the critic's and the audience in agreement.

[​IMG]

Don't miss this one!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

It's high on my list!

Finally saw Alita: Battle Angel and enjoyed it. Nothing particularly deep, but I got $5.48 worth of entertainment out of it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

Exactly, it is about a Manga comic book character. The movie is about entertainment value. Not intended to be "deep".

Glad that you got your $5.48 worth out of it. Assuming that this is a AMC Stubb's member $5 Tuesday movie, plus the tax, of course?

I bet that both you and your wife, will enjoy Fighting With My Family.

21. Chris DeVoe

Actually no. I'm not a member of Stubs - this is the regular price at the Cinemark Palace at the Plaza. My wife is home in Chicago and I'm stuck down here in Kansas City.

She's already seen it and enjoyed it. She Tweeted:

84) Fighting With My Family @ RE21. I have zero interest in wrestling, but it's a great (true!) story and fun! It was awesome seeing Lady Macbeth and (upcoming) Amy March kick ass. Florence Pugh rules. Always fun seeing Nick Frost too. Had a good time.
    This was her 84th film in the theater so far this year, and RE21 is short for AMC's River East 21.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I think that what she said here is very important to those who might be potential viewer's.

I also have ZERO interest in wrestling and have never watched the WWE. Yet this had no negative impact in my enjoyment of this film.

This is about a very (real) human story, which happens to center around wrestling. You don't have to have any interest or appreciation in wrestling to thoroughly enjoy this movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

I feel like if you haven't seen a film in a theater, you haven't really seen it.

Last movie I saw was the Paul Butterfield documentary Horn From The Heart (and it was very good btw) a couple weeks ago.
    Next week I'll be returning to that same theater and seeing the Jimi Hendrix concert film Electric Church.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

I just saw it. Funny and moving in equal measure.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Everybody Knows

Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz in a Spanish language film that revolves around a teenager who goes missing after a family wedding. I loved it. Javier Bardem has such an incredibly expressive face. The entire cast did a great job, and the setting in Spain is lovely.

mrjinks and Chris DeVoe like this.