The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Parasite.

FVDnz likes this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Knives Out over the weekend. Really fun and great to be in a theater again. It’s been too long.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes and sadly we’ve just lost Terry Jones.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

5. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Rise of Skywalker (at the very same theatre where I saw the first Star Wars Movie in 1978 as a 12 year old!)

Chris DeVoe, wolfram and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Little Women, on Monday just gone. 8/10.
    Jo Jo Rabbit next week; and 1917 the following week. Tickets booked.
    Maybe Parasite too, and the Lighthouse, both still to open late January/early February in London.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Jojo Rabbit
    Jumanji: The Next Level

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Just Mercy

It is about a young Harvard trained lawyer who goes to Alabama to offer pro bono defense work to men wrongly convicted of murder and on death row. It seemed like the right movie to see on MLK's birthday.

With Michael B. Jordan and Jamie Foxx.

jlocke08 and alexpop like this.
  9. pressureworld

pressureworld Forum Resident

I don't go to the movies much anymore, but I had to take my wife to see the Downton Abbey film last year. It' didn't disappoint.

10. Chris DeVoe

Just saw Underwater. Basically Alien...underwater, all the way to getting the badass heroine down to her bra and panties to fight the creepy-crawly at the end. Saw it via AMC A*List, and it's a good choice if you like this sort of thing.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Funny enough I do.

It worked well with Jenny Agutter in Logan's Run. even better, if you know what I mean.

12. Chris DeVoe

I really think there should be some parity, and have male action heroes do the final fight in their skivvies as well. I know my wife would appreciate it. She really enjoyed Gerard Butler in 300.

13. Chris DeVoe

The other thing about Underwater is
    ...a nuclear reactor you can set to explode by pushing three controls on a screen...
    ...is just poor industrial design.

Also, why are are these SF environments equipped with old Grass Valley video switchers? Of course a Grass Valley M/E T-handle was the control to destroy a planet on the Death Star.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. caribiner23

caribiner23 Well-Known Member

Knives Out a couple weeks ago. Good times, really enjoyable movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The Turning. A new take on the classic Henry James novella, “The Turn of the Screw”. Forget the reviews-go see it.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

17. SandAndGlass

I make a conscious effort to avoid those movies... Just say'in.

18. Chris DeVoe

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

The Rhythm Section.

Blake Lively as a woman whose whole family is killed in a terrorist attack. She is contacted by a reporter and eventually seeks revenge on those who were behind the attack.

Not necessarily the most credible story, but good action with a powerful performance by Lively.

20. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

SouthPark : The Movie (1999)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Saw another film tonight - Gretel and Hansel.

It's being marketed as a typical horror film, but it's a very odd one and it's easy to see why it was dumped in the January doldrums. Vickie had seen it before I did and assured that I needed to see it if for no other reason than to see the first film by a really significant cinematographer.

She was quite right it's astounding looking, and no more a typical horror film then The Company of Wolves is about werewolves.

I saw another film, the Oscars live action shorts.

AMC A*List rules!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

I got the impression that Gretel and Hansel would be something outside the Genera of a typical horror film.

It is a film that I had intentions of seeing.

Don't have any A-List theaters where I am in Tennessee, but we do have a $5 theater across the street from where I am now, having coffee, I intend to see 1917 there.

There is also a nice multiplex up the street a bit. the offer senior discounts of $6.50 and also have afternoon matinees for the same price. Gretel and Hansel, is playing there now and they have the first showing before 1PM for $5.

I can live with these theaters and their prices. I can get one movie a week at least for the same price as my monthly AMC A-List, so it works.

Saw Cats and Starwars at the 2nd theater, which is the nicer of the two theaters, but both are real nice and for a $5 movie today, I could find no reason to complain.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Birds of Prey (...and the Fantabulous Emancapation of one Harley Quinn).

Saw this in Dolby Cinema, and it looked amazing. No, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but it was fun and that was all I was looking for - a movie with a bunch of women kicking ass.

Chrome_Head and alexpop like this.
  24. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The Gentlemen-enjoyed this much more than i expected to even though i consider myself a Guy Ritchie fan. so did the wife, who is a huge Hugh Grant fan. was unaware going in his part was so large and he did an outstanding job with it. also thought Colin Farrell was very good. small part for Michelle Dockery but well done. really liked the construction of how the story unfolded-pretty unique. if you are okay with a bit of violence and have enjoyed the directors work in the past, go see this one.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project-a fantastic story on how a Philadelphia librarian recorded history on multiple VCR's from 1975 until her death in 2012, amassing a library of over 70,000 tapes. she recorded multiple local and national news outlets for thousands of hours looking for what she called "cracks in the narrative". politics, activism, hoarding, depression, and Apple are all part of this fascinating story. and the payoff of the final resting place for all the tapes is really heartwarming. this film is in limited release around the country. if it plays near you and the subject matter interests you, go see it!

Chris DeVoe likes this.