The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

The last film I watched in a theater was On the Town at an Alamo Drafthouse, for the Memorial Day weekend. That was a lot of fun. I do have tickets for Wes Anderson's upcoming film, Asteroid City, and a revival screening of Hellraiser III.

Chris DeVoe and harmonica98 like this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I also saw You Hurt My Feelings last weekend, with my movie group. All of the women, ten including me, liked it. I expected the men to dislike it, but surprisingly, only one of the five men present disliked it. None of us live in NY, but we all live in NJ so maybe that’s too close. Everyone did comment on “how can they afford these apartments in NYC?” but we just let that go. I thought the film dealt with very real relationship issues, not only between spouses, but also between parent and child, and which can be applied to relationships between close friends as well. I thought it was easy to relate to the “betrayal” scenario.

3. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

Spiderman-Across the Spider Verse. It had to be the longest cartoon I ever sat through...

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You didn't find the characters annoying and whiny and unsympathetic?

I just couldn't stand any of them.

Though like I said, I'm just worn out from these movies about the "Woody Allen Class".

5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

They were a little whiny, but it was funny! :shrug:

6. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

You Hurt My Feelings with Julia Louis-Dteyfus

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ehh, there were minor moments of amusement, but the unsympathetic characters overwhelmed any entertainment value! :)

Really did want to like the movie. Just didn't click.

brownie61 likes this.
  8. DISKOJOE

DISKOJOE Boredom That You Can Afford!

The last movies that I saw in a theatre this past Monday night were 90+ years old. They were a Marx Brothers double feature (Horse Feathers & Duck Soup) that a local theatre was playing that night. Although I have both movies on DVD, I went anyway to see what type of audience they would attract and how they would play on the big screen. A fair number of people did show up, mostly older folk, but then again, I’m no spring chicken. It was great to see these classics w/an audience. The sheer anarchic brilliance of the Marx Brothers overcame the fact they there in B&W, on a square screen and the only special effect being a dog that barked from Harpo’s chest. My next movie will probably be the new Wes Anderson film that will be opening on my birthday.

9. DHawkins1590

DHawkins1590 Well-Known Member

Alien: Covenant, meh.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I remember seeing Marx Brothers movies back in the early '70s at the Vanguard theater in Kansas City. This place was literally a storefront, and holding maybe 50 people.

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  11. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Vintage 3D print of Hondo (1953) - if you like John Wayne films, and I do, this is a good one.

It was showing as part of the BFI's 'Film on Film' festival, which appears to be a great success. Lots of young people there which was unexpected and heartening.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

By contrast, the last time I saw a Marx Bros. movie in the theater--actually the stereotypical double bill of A Night at the Opera and A Day at the Races--was at the Tennessee Theater in Knoxville, Tennessee, a late '20s movie palace with the expected big auditorium, balcony (where I made a point of sitting), and lavish (in this case ersatz Moorish) decor. Also had a fine Wurlitzer theater organ on a platform that could rise up out of the orchestra pit. At that time, also back in the 1970s, it was in a state of somewhat shabby respectability; since then, it's undergone renovations and restorations and extension and serves as a "legitimate concert hall" for the local symphony orchestra and opera company.

Even in its unrestored state, the Tennessee was always a magical place to see movies. The downside: it more or less ruined me for the little shoeboxes that have come to dominate the movie business in more recent years.

13. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Saw Renfield last night. Hoult was superb and Cage was pretty damn good. Only glimpses of crazy Cage. The two of them had good chemistry and a really decent story. Should have delved into that way more.
    Okay humor but it should have been darker. Especially the nice ending.
    What I didn't care for or about were the action sequences and superpowers. Boring, generic, dumb and utterly pointless.
    5.5/10.

brownie61 likes this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

The Flash
    I liked it, but wished it moved faster. No joke.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I just watched POLITE SOCIETY today and enjoyed it! It’s now streaming on Peacock.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Because I don’t drive, it’s sometimes a hassle make the buses work to go to the local AMC.

Today worked out great to see the new Jennifer Lawrence movie NO HARD FEELINGS. For a while they weren’t having morning showings, but I got to see it at 10:30 today (really 11 after the 30 minutes of previews!)….

I enjoyed it — it’s really an “odd couple”-type buddy comedy and she’s pretty funny! The young lead actor Andrew Barth Feldman is the right amount of cute awkward nerd!

17. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Saw Asteroid City last week and loved it. Wes Anderson is about a 50-50 proposition for me, really enjoy some and can't sit through others. Fortunately, AC was in the former category.

brownie61 likes this.
  18. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Wow it got quiet in here

Saw The Goonies on Monday

Lot of fun

19. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

I saw strays at the cinema last Tuesday.

20. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

Indiana Jones, the projector malfunctioned 3/4 of the way through

normanr and Lightworker like this.
  21. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Last James Bond.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  22. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

The Meg 2

23. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Don't recall being in a theater since Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

24. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Saw a couple of throwback theatrical re-releases the last time we were in the theater, including National Lampoon's Vacation and Enter the Dragon; hope to see Equalizer 3 this weekend.

jason88cubs likes this.
  25. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

I saw The French Connection last night, it had been a while since I had seen the film the whole way through. The same cinema is going to show the exorcist as well so I'll be thinking about seeing that too, I'm not sure if I've seen the exorcist more than a couple of times.