The last Neil Young album you really cared about

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, Sep 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

running from it..yes it showed. : )

2. Michael

this is true...

DTK likes this.
  3. Michael

In your opinion yes, but of the decade? not a chance. : ) I love that album...

DTK likes this.
  4. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

Zuma ...and Decade ... didn't like enough what came next .. Stars n Bars, Comes a Time nor Rust or Live Rust or Hawks

5. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Every time this thread pops up I masochistically read the new posts because I'm a sucker for Neil Young talk and there are some astute and interesting takes.

That said, the bad-faith awfulness of the thread title and its insulting implicit presumption that Neil's inspiring artistic longevity and zig-zagging latter-day releases should be scorned and dismissed with cut-off points and generally sneered at to one degree or another, makes me see red.

Long may he run, but when the day finally comes when the big prairie wind wafts Neil heavenward, this whole ingrate exercise in negativity is going to look pretty awful.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Why? The end is inevitable for all humans and musical artists, but that shouldn't cancel out musical critique and discussion (I don't recall any poster in this thread pointing the finger at NY's personality or politics). Similarly, do we have to drool over Paul McCartney's new album just because he is alive?
    I'd hazard a guess that the problem is you take anything less than blind adoration of Neil Young personally for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  7. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I cared enough about The Visitor to buy it at Best Buy two weeks ago.

8. Have to confess the last new Neil Young studio album I bought was Chrome Dreams II, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I probably have about 25 Neil Young CD's -- and I'm not the least bit obsessive about his output -- as I see things I'm curious about (used, and cheap), I'll grab 'em. I probably only listen to 3-4 CD's of his per year at this point -- and Neil probably is down around #30 on my all-time top 'whatever' list of my very favorite non-jazz musicians.

I do have TONS of respect for the guy, and enjoy him a lot. But my wife can't stand him (specifically his voice), so that kind of reduces the number of times he naturally gets played around the house a bit. He's a little like Frank Zappa to me -- in that I have a LOT of his output (in my case, ~45 Zappa CD's) -- but I can easily go a year or so without listening to anything by them. Then, for a few weeks, I'll suddenly get the urge to spin a bunch of them.

Leaman likes this.
  9. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Thank you for this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.