The lesser-known original version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JozefK, Jul 2, 2015.

1. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Yes, and seemingly didn't get sued.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  2. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Coldest Days of My Life' - Walter Jackson (1970 B-side on Cotillion)

song by Eugene Record & Carl Davis; later recorded more memorably by Eugene Record with the Chi-Lites (#8 r&b; 1972)

Walter Jackson (singer) - Wikipedia

3. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'I Had a Talk with God Last Night' - James Cleveland and the Angelic Choir (1963)

The members in the choir are not credited on the album; but an eleven-year old Geraldine Griffin is named here as the featured singer on the track.
    https://www.loc.gov/static/programs/national-recording-preservation-board/documents/PeaceBeStill.pdf

Re-written as 'I had a talk with my man' by Leonard Caston and Billy Davis; a 1964 hit for Mitty Collier, covered the following year as an LP track by Dusty Springfield.

1972 Mitty Collier recording with the original gospel words; she later became Pastor Mitty Collier
    Mitty Collier: I Had A Talk With God Last Night / III A.M. 1972

A conversation with Pastor Mitty Collier - Gospel Roots Of Rock And Soul
    Cover versions of I Had a Talk with My Man written by Leonard Caston Jr., Billy Davis | SecondHandSongs

4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

5. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

uzn007 likes this.
  6. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Tomorrow" from the musical Annie began life as "Replay", from an educational film about the generation gap produced by the Arrow Shirt Company (1970):

FF to 2:30

danasgoodstuff, swandown and Frank like this.
  8. JozefK

"On Top of Old Smokey" is an old folk song of unclear origin. The first commercially recorded version was by George Reneau in 1925. Unfortunately that version is not on YouTube.

Bradley Kincaid cut the song in 1929, doing the less common "sparking" version rather than the more familiar "courting" lyrics. Note how he does not draw out the first syllable in "Smokey" and "lover" in the first verse.

9. JozefK

The Groovie Ghoulies/Rolling Gravestones - "Chick-a-Boom" (1971)

The story is a bit complicated, but apparently this song was written for the Sabrina The Teenage Witch cartoon show, and first heard there. Learning that RCA planned to release it as a single Dick Monda, one of the show's music staff, gathered a different set of studio musicians for another version on another label, and that became the hit for "Daddy Dewdrop".

kippyy likes this.
  10. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

danasgoodstuff and JohnO like this.
  11. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Thank you for sharing this.
    Pretty timeless contrast. Some things never change.

12. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Reneau's version is available here. (It requires a free Box.com account, but once you sign in then you should be able to download the song. If not, let me know and I can upload it somewhere.)

This is a cool bit of trivia from a personal perspective, as I've got Reneau ancestors in my family tree. (A quick search indicates that George's 5th-great-grandfather John Reno, was my 6th-great-grandfather.)

13. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

shutdown66 likes this.
  14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

shutdown66 likes this.
  15. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

16. JozefK

17. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Message to Martha' - Jerry Butler, recorded in 1962 but remained unreleased until the end of 1963 when it was included on the LP "Need to Belong" (later retitled "Giving Up on Love") where it was incorrectly credited to Leiber & Stoller ....

a German Language version 'Kleine Treue Nachtigall' by Marlene Dietrich may have been released earlier on a German EP; and as a B-side on the French Barclay label (said to be the only song of Bacharach's that Marlene recorded, although she also sang 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' in concerts)

Marlene and Burt, Kleine, Treue Nachtigall.
    Marlene Dietrich / Orchester Burt Bacharach - Marlene Dietrich
    Marlene Dietrich - Bitte Geh' Nicht Fort (Ne Me Quitte Pas)

Lou Johnson had the first version on a US single titled as 'Kentucky Bluebird (send a message to Martha)' (October, 1964) although that was changed on the UK single

Lou Johnson - Message to Martha (Kentucky bluebird)

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

19. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The original version of Theme From a Summer Place by Hugo Winterhalter:

20. JozefK

Dick Thomas - [I've Got Spurs That] "Jingle Jangle Jingle" (1942)

Thomas introduced the song in the 1942 film The Forest Rangers. This soundie may or may not be the same recording.

Became a #1 hit for Kay Kyser a few months after it was introduced.

21. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Mockin' Bird Hill' - the Pinetoppers (vocal chorus by the Beaver Valley Sweethearts; Colleen & Donna Wilson)

The most successful version on Billboard's country chart (#3; Les Paul & Mary Ford's cover #7); but Les Paul & Ford and Patti Page had the big pop hits with the song (Top 5).

Cover versions of Mockin' Bird Hill written by Vaughn Horton | SecondHandSongs
    Mockin' Bird Hill - Wikipedia
    Hillbilly-Music.com - Beaver Valley Sweethearts

The tune had its roots in Scandinavia - 'Livet i Finnskogarna' (Life in the Finn Woods)
    Livet i Finnskogarna
    'Norsk Bondvals'' (Norwegian Farmer's Waltz)
    Olle Johnny - Norsk Bondvals Odeon D 5425 innsp. 1939

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  23. samohtben

samohtben columnated ruins domino

"Do Ya" - Move

24. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

25. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Someday (you'll want me to want you)' - Elton Britt

some credited to Jimmie Hodges, but it appears that the actual writer may have been Hugh Starr; a #2 country hit in 1946 with many subsequent versions including in 1949 both the Mills Brothers and Vaughn Monroe. In the UK Ricky Nelson's recording was issued as his follow-up single to 'Poor Little Fool' and peaked at no.9

Cover versions of Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You) by Elton Britt | SecondHandSongs
    Someday (You'll Want Me to Want You) - Wikipedia