The Linn Karousel bearing upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaveyF, Apr 27, 2020.

1. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident Thread Starter

Probably easiest to go with the Cirkus...or if funds allow...the Majik. I use the Majik, although it did need to be modified to fit my arm. A good 'fettler' should have no problem doing this for your ET2. I think the integral tonearm board of the Kore and the Keel would present a problem for your ET2...I know they did for my WTA 'Black'.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  2. DaveyF

Couple of thoughts on this...I would certainly consider the Karousel upgrade first ( see my post above) along with a power supply upgrade to at least the Lingo. ( some of these are available for not too much money, and as long as the Caps are still good, would be a good way to go.) The SME 3 is not really that great a match for the table, so I would consider an upgrade there next...an older Ekos would be something to consider. I don't think there are any Linn upgrades that one would say to avoid, unlike a number of after market products.

BrettyD likes this.
  3. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me thinks you’d probably be best served by speaking to a dealer.

Randoms and BrettyD like this.
  4. Randoms

Randoms Aerie Faerie Nonsense

Without seeing your turntable, or at least a picture from underneath with the baseboard off (disconnected from the mains!) which will give an excellent idea of what if anything has been upgraded and also if anything has gone astray with set up it is difficult to comment, but a later sub-chassis (even a pre-Cirkus glued one), latest springs / grommets and a later bearing / inner platter can be both cheap and very worthwhile. If a Valhalla has never been installed, then a better power supply.

A good Linn dealer can do this within a few minutes.

monte4 likes this.
  5. John76

John76 Forum Resident

As mentioned, there is a shim available that makes the Karousel compatible with the GS sub.

Just learned that there might be a compatibility issue with the Rubikon subchassis due to the 4mm thickness around the bearing mount which causes fouling with the inner platter.

6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

AFAIK, Linn has a disk available for folks who wish to install a Karousel to an older pre-Cirkus subchassis.

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Thanks, in that case what they say on their website is correct. Too much lack of knowledge from so called Linn 'experts'.

8. DaveyF

Says the guy who doesn't even own a Linn, but has no trouble coming out and naysaying whenever he can...:righton::help:

9. Classicrock

You just reinforced my point. Linn owners should get their facts right. I've been saying all along Linn claim the bearing is universal. Which is a good thing if you don't want to spend a fortune on upgrading an old deck. Only issue I've ever had with them is the pricing. That's why I haven't owned a Linn product since 1994.

10. DaveyF

Wrong, the new bearing cannot be applied to subchassis' that incorporate the Valhalla or the Hercules on board power supply, which is what I stated from the start. Only recently has Linn added the new shim to allow the new bearing to attach to a pre-( not post, as you incorrectly stated before) Cirkus subchassis ( and which most fettler's i know feel to be a kludge, since it is simply better to replace the old pre-Cirkus subchassis with at least a Cirkus subchassis and not utilize the shim). But it seems like you are still only too happy to come on a Linn based thread and thread crap...
    Particularly since you now admit that you have NOT owned a Linn product since 1994!:doh:

Eamon likes this.
  11. Randoms

Incidentally, I believe that the aluminium Majik spec sub-chassis has been standard fit on a LP12 since 2015, replacing the steel Cirkus sub-chassis used since 1993. Linn — Sub-chassis Both the Kore and Majik are available in options to mount Linn, Rega, SME & Naim tonearms and obviously others who use those mounting methods.

The launch of the Linn Karousel and consequent demonstrations (or lack of!) timed in with the Covid-19 lock downs in the UK, so most of the interactions between Linn staff / dealers and customers would have been lost. This is just a very minor inconvenience in the world we are facing, but with full lock down announcement for Thursday in the UK, once again the usual one to one and group interaction and usual information exchange opportunities will be gone.

For any Linn owners, any upgrading is not an obligation! Before deciding if Linn pricing is too high, surely a current Cirkus level spec should be compared to other excellent and on many occasions, more expensive alternatives. Unfortunately because of the very sad decision by Jelco to cease manufacturing tonearms, the new Cirkus spec LP12 will include the Krane Tonearm.

Hope we are all enjoying our music whatever our chosen weapon of choice and keeping each other and ourselves safe. Happy listening!

DaveyF likes this.
  12. Classicrock

Honestly I've had enough of this nonsense. You misread that first post you quoted and I never suggested or referred to the Valhalla. Just talking about the subchassis. There are peeps out there that just want the bearing without the cost of replacing the subchassis irrespective if that is worse or not. My impression looking at the initial announcement and the Linn website was that Linn intended this upgrade to be universal from the start (apart from the pointed out motor issues). So I congratulate them on producing something that at least is relatively good value compared with some of their previous upgrades. My last word on the subject. By the way is there an Ad Hominem rule here? Should be as personal attacks are the highest form of thread crapping.

TarnishedEars likes this.
  13. Silklee

Silklee Active Member

I just did the karousel upgrade after deliberating on it for a long time. Finally gone for it when my local dealer offered a trade in offer for the cirkus.

This karousel upgrade in my experience seems to be better than when I upgraded from Lingo1 to Klimax radikal and from my Rubikon to Keel and from Dynavector 20x2L to AT ART1000. Cant remember if i did the Keel or AT first but radikal was the first upgrade of the 3. I'm using an Aro BTW.

Of course, it could just be a coming together of all the upgrades nicely.

John76 and Randoms like this.
  14. Randoms

Please keep in mind that I have - kind of deliberately) not heard the Karousel, but as an ex-Linn owner and dealer am familiar with the subtle, but audible improvement that came from the white to black bearing liner and the significant improvement that the Cirkus gave, I would be surprised if there isn't a lot of both going on.

Everything that I have heard regarding the Karousel from people I have known for over 30 years suggest that it is the most significant upgrade ever. A very experienced technical reviewer and designer who works at my nearest dealer and is not a LP12 user, called it a game changer.

His, or anyone else's opinions are totally irrelevant if you don't agree with them, but you have reinforced everything I've been told.

More to the point, happy listening and obviously pleased that you are delighted with your upgrade.

15. Millimeters

Millimeters Forum Resident

Hi all,
    I got the Karousel upgrade from Circus + Tranquility today. As others have said, everything sounds more solid and dynamic. More like tape, for lack of better words. I think the upgrade is similar in magnitude to when I upgraded from Valhalla to Radikal.

Deck is from 1984, Ittok LV II, Adikt, Trampolin, Harban plinth, circus subchassis. Sounds seriously good.

All the best,
    Svein

Cyclone Ranger likes this.
  16. DaveyF

Linn are releasing a revised Radikal, both in the Klimax and the Akurate casing. The new model, which also has options for upgrading the current versions, should be an interesting mod. From what I understand, the new model features a motor that mates better with the top plate, has a modded board to insure even more precise rotational accuracy and lastly is more optimal for those who utilize the Urika phono stage.
    To that, Linn is also releasing a new top end cartridge that will be positioned above the current Linn Kandid...this model apparently sourced from EMT and called the Ekstatik. All interesting news for the Linn LP12 owner who wants to continue along the upgrade path.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
    jusbe and Musicman1963 like this.
  17. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

[​IMG]

It certainly looks striking. I've absolutely no doubt the Kandid sounds magnificent, but to me it looks like something that's fallen out of an old transistor radio.

18. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Had a Karousel fitted along with the Radikal upgrade last week by my dealer after a home dem and I am very pleased.

I have one question which I am going back to my dealer about in that if you listen very very carefully, with my ear literally on the deck, I can hear a very slight ‘rotation’ noise that may be from the bearing or the motor or even the belt or …..

Can anyone else with Karousel or Radikal upgrade hear anything like I am describing?

It is, I emphasise, very very quiet and cannot be heard without your ear to the deck. And, it’s not the normal start up noise I am referring to which is fine.

Richard

Last edited: Feb 19, 2023
  19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I hear this noise when I switch from 33rpm to 45. Very annoying. However, as I’ve just ordered a new plinth am expecting a full service when I have it installed next month.

20. vinylkid58

vinylkid58 Forum Resident

Probably just the belt slipping on the motor pulley.

jeff

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

It’s a new phenomenon, though. In addition, the speed slowed way down to something more like 16. I blamed it on a new belt that I bought (I’ve read that some are faulty). Eventually I returned it (the problem went away with it) and the retailer refunded me in full - but without excuse or explanation, whereas I had hoped they’d back up my findings.

Fast-forward six months and it has been impossible to replicate with any of my older belts - until last week when the same issue occurred again - once. So, unclear what the issue could be but I believe a full service involves a change of oil, new belt and so on.

22. FangfossFlyer

An update: I tried a few things and not surprisingly with the outer platter off I can hear the sound slightly louder.

I also tried with the belt off and I still got the faint sound.

So the issue I suspect is not to do with the bearing but probably the replacement motor or the belt.

I guess it could be to do with the actual installation of the motor but I would be surprised as the guy who installed it has done 70+ installations of such, with whom I have total respect and would not trust my LP12 with anyone else so highly unlikely.

Anyway, will get back in touch with my dealer when the shop is open.

Richard

23. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Best of luck.

24. FangfossFlyer

My dealer has been in touch with Linn and a plan has been put in place to remedy the issue.

Richard

JNTEX and culabula like this.
  25. DaveyF

What do they believe is the issue?