The little drummer girl (Mini-series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Nov 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Anyone watching this?

I haven't read the book, or seen the original movie, but it's caught my imagination, even though it stretches believability.

John le Carré writes in shades of grey, but this production is very colorful.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I watched the first half and thought it was ok at best. The nighttime scenes at the Acropolis were cool, though. Second half is on my DVR and from the previews looks more interesting. I'll get to it.

3. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

The director is Park Chan-Wook, one of my favourites, who did Oldboy, Lady Vengeance and The Handmaiden to name but three (all classics).

I think the direction is superb and I like the period look but I find the plot implausible on a number of levels. Why would Mosad get a English actress to use as an agent when they could just use one of their own and why would an English actress decide to start working for Mosad? Surely not love because how could she love a man who had manipulated and lied to her. Makes no sense to me but it's a treat for the eyes.

It's like an old spy story that people used to believe could happen but in this day and age it seems too far fetched.

John B Good likes this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I found it quite difficult to follow, and not credible. Mossad seems to have achieved a hollow victory (didn't get to the cells when Carlos (Khalil) was terminated by Gadi), and why the little drummer girl ended up with Gadi left me flummoxed. The line about actors being amoral perhaps made the most sense.

But I guess all Spy vs Spy would leave me that way.

Charlie sure was yummy though :)

5. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Its funny, when I turned the TV on the other day it just happened to be on this show. When I noticed that it was a period piece, it peaked my interest. I'm going to watch it at some point.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Same here. I watched it and liked it a fair bit. Yes, it does stretch believability, but not moreso than say Homeland. I liked the cast, but Michael Shannon's fake accent was a little distracting.

However, the standout performance was by Florence Pugh as Charlie. She's a good actor, very cute and has a sexy speaking voice. She really elevates the material (not unlike Claire Danes in Homeland).

When all's said and done, I was entertained, so a thumbs up from me.

BZync likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.