The Long Ryders - any love from the forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by paradoxguy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. paradoxguy

paradoxguy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am a late convert to the music of the Long Ryders. I actually became aware of the Long Ryders in the mid-1980's through the writings of the rock critic/Springsteen sycophant Dave Marsh. Back in that period, before I knew better, Marsh was my favorite rock critic and I accepted much of his opinions wholesale. He expressed negative comments about the Long Ryders agreeing to appear in a Miller beer commercial for monetary compensation and this was sufficient for me to avoid checking out their music. I continued my blissful ignorance of the Ryders until winter-spring 2014, when I read a alternative country essay that named the Ryders as one of its progenitors. (Actually I encountered the Ryders name when I purchased the 2003 Jayhawks album Rainy Day Music and read that its newest member was Stephen McCarthy, one of the primary songwriters, singers, and guitarists of the Long Ryders. However, this was not sufficient to prod me to check out their music.) I then read brief histories of the band on allmusic.com site and Wikipedia, followed by reviews of their discography on allmusic.com. I decided their Anthology compilation would be the best introduction to their music. Unfortunately, like much of their discography, Anthology is out of print. Fortunately a kind forum member sold me a like-new copy for a reasonable sum and I became an enthusiast after 1-2 listens. I was impressed by the band's individual and ensemble musicianship, the high quality of their songwriting individually and collaboratively, and their ability to play several styles--alt country, roots rock, traditional rock, power-pop, even psychedelia--effortlessly and well. In particular I liked their alt country-rock blend with punk rhythm energy and pace--particularly apparent on their cover of Mel Tillis's "(Sweet) Mental Revenge" and their own "Run Dusty Run".

I have since acquired their three studio albums Native Sons, State of Our Union, and Two Fisted Tales, plus their posthumous "odds'n'ends" compilation Metallic BO, the live Three Minute Warnings, and their two live DVDs. With their 2nd and 3rd albums, the Long Ryders seem to have downplayed the alt country/roots rock aspect in favor of traditional rock and power-pop, but elements of the former still appear copiously in the songs. As I continue to listen to the Ryders, I have developed an appreciation for their lack of pretense and the integrity with which they write and play their music. I also appreciate that despite their lack of pretense, the Long Ryders exhibit a surprisingly sophisticated approach to their playing, arrangements, and production; this was evident even with their debut album with songs like "Too Close to the Light" and "Time Keeps Traveling".

I am dismayed that this band never encountered sustained commercial success, only brief periods in the UK and Europe, and consequently ended their career after only 1 EP and three studio albums and 6 years. About the Miller beer commercial--I totally understand the Ryders need for money, a common malady among bands that have not reached superstar levels of success, and that it was survival, not greed that moved them to such deals. Anthology features many unreleased demos and outtakes, including about 6 for the Two Fisted Tales alone. This suggests the Long Ryders were prolific writers and could have recorded many more albums if their career had continued. The Long Ryders show no inclination for a sustained reunion or resuming their career--and honestly I don't think an large enough audience exists to justify this. Perhaps a movie or TV show or even a commercial will license one of their songs and lend it a profile high enough to justify reissuing the Long Ryders studio albums in expanded form and Anthology compilation. This in turn could induce the Long Ryders to undertake short tours in selected venues and introduce their music to a new audience and keep their music and legacy alive. This may also prompt renewing the box set project that has been postponed--Sid Griffin has indicated that it would feature many addtional previously unheard tracks not issued on Anthology or their expanded reissues. Of course, this is a pipe dream unless a catalyst such as I mentioned actually manifests to begin the process. In the meantime, all rock fans would do well to check out some of the Long Ryders music--individual tracks can be purchased and downloaded digitally via Amazon and iTunes.

Any Long Ryders enthusiasts (and general rock fans), please feel free to chime in.

The Killer, Greg Gee, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  2. johnfoyle

johnfoyle Forum Resident

I've like the 'Ryders right from the start. I was lucky enough to see them do great shows here in Dublin , both when they started out and when they reunited in , I think, 2004. They still get back together now and then , doing shows in Spain this coming December. Sid Griffin continues to make music and commentate on a music related matters from his London base. His website will keep you up to date on this. He also posts a lot on Twitter, including a recent comment that he has just previewed a 'Ryders box set coming out next year.

http://www.sidgriffin.com/

Greg Gee and melstapler like this.
  3. Graham

Graham Senior Member

I bought the expanded CD reissue of Native Sons a few years ago. Like it, but don't play it often. Those guys sure love the LA sounds of 66/67.

4. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

love them wait for a long time now for the other remasters!

5. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

Love 'em. Have most of their stuff - I think. And I did see the live a couple of times. Looking for Lewis & Clark remains a favorite track.

Thanks for the head up. I should play their albums again anytime soon!

6. Robert Haagsma

Robert Haagsma Vinyl fanatic

7. paradoxguy

Thanks for the comments. I had last heard the box set was postponed, so news that it's coming out next year is welcome!

8. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

One of the best from that period in the 80s. Great folk~rock with a few classic songs any band would be proud of. Lights Of Downtown is my fave. The two albums and mini~album are all good, as is the live (in NY?) cd from a few years back. Best dressed band of the Eighties!

9. paradoxguy

Interesting that the comments so far are from members outside the US--probably an indication of the Ryders' greater popularity in Europe and UK than the US.

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

They were my favorite band back in the '80's. Picked up State of Our Union first, solely based on the album cover ...and loved it from first listen.

Now I only have Three Minute Warnings and a couple of Sid Griffin's much more mellow albums.

I vaguely remember the "sell out to Miller" charge but was living in Tokyo at the time so no Miller beer commercials to worry about! (And I, too, was a big Dave Marsh fan at one time).

11. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Steve McCarthy is alive and well and living here in his hometown of Richmond. He has a successful home improvement business (he painted our house a few years ago among other things). He still performs. He's a great guy. My wife had to keep reminding me to leave him to his work and quit asking him to tell rock and roll stories.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I seen them live once either a Belgium-Holland festival circa 1984/85/86.

13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Love this song
    The Long Ryders "Ivory Tower":

14. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Love these guys.

15. Jband88

Jband88 Well-Known Member

bought their EP 10-5-60 when it was released. Followed them through their first 3 albums. Really like them.

I was also very influenced by whatever Marsh said. He is virtually unlistenable on Sirius.

16. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Their finest hour with Gene Clark assisting.

17. eelkiller

The 2 disc Anthology is essential, mastered by Bill Inglot it is the best sounding Long Ryder's set. I have a feeling the sound on anything forthcoming will not touch it.

18. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Coincidentally, we just spun Native Sons ("Still Get By" is a classic) the other night. Got to see them once back in the '80s. Great stuff.

19. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I have liked the Longryders since the 'get go', they were part of the 'Paisley Underground' movement in Los Angeles in the early 80s?. I have all their albums too, including some dupes on U.K., Japan and German vinyl. I really like their 'Two Fisted Tales' LP although it seems that this one may not be as well thought of as the others, great songs and playing imho. I was playing 'TFT' just this past week.

20. paradoxguy

Thanks for the comments, great to hear the Long Ryders still have enthusiasts.

21. paradoxguy

I agree with your sentiments about TFT. IMHO, TFT has the strongest songs of the three studio albums.

Satrus likes this.
  22. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

"wreck of the 809" is my favourite song.

23. eelkiller

Hopefully great music like this will be discovered by fans of today's roots rock artists.

e.s. and paradoxguy like this.
  24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I thought TFT was "solid", meaning straight forward, I guess. I liked it just fine but do prefer the first two as I like the earlier rawness.

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I mentioned earlier Sid Griffin's albums. I meant The Coal Porters. I have Land of Hope and Crosby and The Gram Parsons Tribute Concert.

But...the Long Ryders are up a notch and a half from this.