The Lord Of The Rings: The Rings Of Power Amazon TV Show*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by omikron, Feb 20, 2020.

1. I loved the show. The Tolkien uber-nerds have almost ruined this thread. Putting a few on ignore however has made this thread a bit more inviting and worth reading.

2. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Uber nerds? Now we're resorting to name-calling for those we disagree with? I liked the show but didn't love it.

Ignorance is bliss, enjoy your show.

Fastnbulbous, Jim B. and nutsfortubes like this.
  3. Sorry. I meant to say thin-skinned uber-nerds. Is that better bro?

4. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

If that's the worst thing you've ever been called in your life, you're doing pretty well.
    How about self-proclaimed Tolkien experts? Does that offend your sensibility?

Brett44 likes this.
  5. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

Started slow, but the ending pretty much made up for it. Not close to the high water mark of Lord of The Rings, but leagues better than The Hobbit films.

6. marblesmike

There are ways to get your point across without insulting others and resorting to name-calling. That must be lost on you. Thin-skinned? You're the one who said you're blocking people.

7. marblesmike

Let's get this thread back on topic. How about that?

omikron and Brett44 like this.
  8. This is unintentionally hilarious. Be mad bro. The rest of us are enjoying this thread and show.

9. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

The self proclaimed Tolkien experts turn the thread into a dumpster fire from the very beginning.

Brett44 likes this.
  10. I just don't get it. They practically destroy the thread and then lose their minds if anyone dares point it out, even in a joking way. I mean, "Tolkien uber-nerds" is harmless fun lol. And honestly a bit spot on. Which is probably the issue, it's too close to home for some. If the shoe fits...

Detroit Rock Citizen and Amnion like this.
  11. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

Among the really 'uber-nerdy' fans I know the group tends to be quite split on opinion re. the show. On the one hand there are always the groups who want exacting adaptation which is imo not possible, especially given the period of Middle-earth being covered, and then there are quite a few who while concerned how some aspects are being handled, are very much intot he show. I myself tend to err on the side of entertainment. I have always said that I can find Tolkien in my books. If I want really closely alligned adaptation that could pass off as canon, or lore, then what is the point? May as well dig Tolkien up and have him make the thing. I would prefer they stuck to the known details more but ultimately I don't care too much as I am not invested in any characters from this show besides Adar who I hope kills them all and sets up his Waltons farm with his adorable children.

Lars Medley and Spencer R like this.
  12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Along these lines, I saw someone on Twitter who was furious that Meteor Man didn’t just let the Wargs eat the Harfoots. :)

GregM, Lars Medley and Phillip Walch like this.
  13. Phillip Walch

That would have been interesting. Proper turn the tables on expectation.

Spencer R likes this.
  14. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Brings up one of my main gripes about the show: it's entirely too predictable. Very few legit surprises and you can often see what's coming from the start of each scene.

Rufus McDufus and Phillip Walch like this.
  15. Phillip Walch

I have to agree, there was little surprise. Which is rather odd considering they went against some established 'lore'. I would have expected to be surprised at times.

Overall I never found the show offensive like some did but I just found it flat. That of course means there is room for much improvement in later seasons.

nutsfortubes, Lars Medley and GregM like this.
  16. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I must be a simpleton then. The reveal of a certain person's identity caught me off guard, mainly because I wasn't expecting any kind of ID reveal.

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

They were signaling it all throughout the series. I thought it was pretty obvious. It had to be him or they were trolling us.

And the whole plot is a series of mystery boxes. It's just one reveal after another as that other s what they think good writing is.

Who is Halbrand?
    Who is Meteor Man?
    Who are the three weird women?
    Who is Adar?
    What is the broken sword?
    What is the secret prophesy?
    Etc etc.

18. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

It’s Thursday night and I’m bummed that there’s no new Rings of Power.

bpmd1962 and Curveboy like this.
  19. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Do what I did - start a LOTR reread. i might even read the supplemental material this time.

Spencer R likes this.
  20. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I've started re-reading the Silmarillion. I skipped forward to the brief history of Numenor just to update myself on the outline of events. I'd forgotten quite a lot. I think it's 30 years since I read the whole thing, It's just isn't as good as LoTR.

Spaghettiows and EddieMann like this.
  21. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Cheer up, that means there's only 3 more nights until the House of the Dragon finale! :love::agree:

Gavaxeman, Amnion and nutsfortubes like this.
  22. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

Sorry, but I had no reason to believe any of the characters shown were supposed to be XXXXX in disguise. Maybe that's because I haven't read any of the ancillary Tolkien materials. Any characters shown that weren't
    in LOTR or The Hobbit, for me, could just as easily be made up by the show writers, or a known character in the other writings. So I don't have any checkboxes in my head to categorize names unknown to me. I'm just along for the ride.
    Those who have encyclopedic knowledge of the Tolkien materials would naturally be suspicious of any name they've never heard before.

Spencer R likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm not much different to you, I'm no Tolkien expert. You don't really have to be. Most of the names are made up and those that aren't bare very little in common with their book forms. They have compressed thousands of years into the same story so you can't really go by anything in the books.

24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It's all about the movies. True, most characters weren't in LOTR or The Hobbit, but some were. They're trying to capitalize on names like Sauron, Galadriel, Elrond...anonymous the grey. The characterizations and look/feel of the films is revered more than Tolkien.

25. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

Honestly, I really did find the series a fun watch. Some of the characterizations were... iffy. Overall though, I did enjoy all of the first season. Nothing really offended me that much, and for the MOST part, all of the events are either following major plot points or filling in holes. There are a lot of holes the show created themselves, but they are minor and can easily be filled in next season if they so chose. I for one am happy to get a chance to see Token's world back on the screen. I do consider myself an uber fan. However, the show is fine by me. :)