the Marker Trick for CDs. Why does it work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pig whisperer, Aug 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member Thread Starter

When you color the outer ring of a Cd with a marker the sound is improved (some discs more than others) by giving it more bottom end and IMO a warmer sound. Why does this work? What exactly does the covering the edge of the disc do that *makes* the sound change? Is there a name for this? (I couldn't search this without a name).

When my friend told me about this almost 15 years ago, He said that you use a green marker. I use a black one because it is handy. Does the colour of the marker make any difference (don't laugh)?

BTW, I found out you have to use a thick, flat marker so you don't slip and write on the disc (luckily, I only wrote on the top :laugh: )

2. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Not to threadcrap, but I never thought it did work.

3. pig whisperer

Some CDs I don't notice much change, but on others I have. Perhaps its just psychological. But, if I *think* it's better and I enjoy the music more, I'll take it. Thanks for the input.

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Not only has it never been proven that it does a damn thing other than make your hands messy, there's no logical reason why coloring the edges of a disc should mean anything. The lens doesn't read the edge after all....which is why it's all so ludicrous out of hand.

Too bad the marker thing can't be proven or disproven. I mean, how DO you prove that it works?

:ed:

5. pig whisperer

Use your ears.

I was wondering about the laser (I am of the opinion that it does work), maybe it traps laser light in the disc? I don't know, which is why I am asking. I guess this is turning out to be a controversial topic, I didn't know it would, but it will make things interesting. I'll just read all post and see what I can learn (which is the real reason I wrote the post). Thanks Ed :)

6. reechie

reechie Senior Member

I think it's one of those things where it works if you "want" it to. :whistle:

lukpac likes this.
  7. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I remember a similar topic way back maybe over a year ago that discussed all the supposed physical "tweaks" to get better sound from a cd.

Basically, I have to wonder how marking the edge of cd "traps laser light"? There's nothing to trap. It goes in one direction and either reflects right back to the lens or not - representing either a land or a pit. So-called "stray light" would do nothing, and how does it become a "stray light" anyway.

Just common sense things I have to ask.

8. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Is it a little akin to taping a nickel to the tone arm? The ink layer at the perimeter would increase the weight there, and while the disk spins might cause an increase in centrifugal force and a less jittered tracking by the laser beam........

9. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Did that, back in the '80s. Folks experimented with green markers(not only on the outer ring, but inner ring, I guess), and with those dreaded "CD Soundrings," which shocked a lot of people who quickly found to their dismay that the rings could not be readily removed without ruining their discs.

My ears tell me that better equipment for playback is your best bet...:D

:ed:

10. RicP

RicP All Digital. All The Time.

Another mythical audiophile fairy tale I'm afraid.

11. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

When it first came out I tried it on a handful of discs... on the first disc, I believed I heard an improvement... in retrospect, I just really, really wanted that disc (Jeff Beck's Rough and Ready) to sound better... but even with wishful thinking, I couldn't convince myself that any subsequent tries made any difference.

All in all, a rather inexpensive lesson in audio marketing @ $5 per marker.

If you think the green marker is whack -- well, have a look at a current offering some 15-20 years later: http://makeashorterlink.com/?M2CD12AAB

Caveat emptor.

12. Todd E

Todd E Forum Resident

If it works, why don't high-end labels print a green ring around the edge during the manufacturing process and charge an extra $5?

13. John B Good

Even if it only cost a cent a disk, it wouldn't be profitable. The kids would find a way to download it :)

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Silly me, I green markered my antihelix*

*antihelix - the outer boundary of the ear

15. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

I can tell you why it doesn't work.

Ones and zeros + green (or whatever color) marker = exact same ones and zeros!

If you can hear a difference, great, you just saved a bunch of money by not having to buy upgraded equipment or CDs! But it's just a placebo effect.

And no, I have not tried it, but I don't care to because I know it won't work (kind of a reverse placebo effect...that's what I get for being an engineer)

16. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I believe it is an audiophile myth. It is nothing more than the power of suggestion at work.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I think with many things like this (certain remasters for instance), the "improvement" is caused by you listening more closely to the music than you normally would, as you're listening for improvements, and thereby noticing more detail, etc.

18. pig whisperer

Interesting. Less jittering = better sound.

Someone mentioned that I could just be listening harder and hearing more - could be.

I'll be doing a comparison with CDs later this week. I'll let you know if I'm full of crap.

Not ashamed to admit if I am. Maybe I'll start convincing myself that water is vodka and have a grand time.

Thanks for the replys everyone! :righton:

19. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have a Japan pressed "Aldo Nova" S/T CD that has green paint around the perimeter and also near the center hole where it becomes clear. It also has a white piece of something glued to the top of the disc around the center hole. I bought it used a few weeks ago. Nice sounding CD but I have nothing to compare it to.

Pat

20. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

Store it under a 3-sided pyramid for 17 days. Then sprinkle the pigs blood.

bzfgt likes this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Markers: must be Sharpies...Purple...more treble, Green..midrange...Chartreuse....big bottom bass...turquoise...5.1...white...Mono......Indigo...Surround.

uzn007 and bzfgt like this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

So....why don't the labels have this done if it really works? It should be elementary to find out whether there is a difference. Then they could add this new schtick to their legendary "remastered" stickers. Could it be.....an engineering myth?

23. John B Good

:D

And a strip of beige velvet, for Noise reduction.

24. Michael

...beige may be a little heavy handed...magenta works better...lighty, gently. :D

25. Michael

:confused: I heard Cows blood? Here we go again! Honey, is that steak still in the fridge?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.