The Marvelous Mrs Maisel - the 5th (& final!!) season has ended...*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Dec 1, 2017.

1. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

There’s a setting in the Fire TV app to stop automatically playing the next episode so you can hear the entire song.

2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Show creator Amy Sherman-Palladino dreamt up the character of Mrs. Maisel with her father in mind. Like Midge, her dad Don Sherman was a comedian in 1950s New York City. Huh.

But as some posters note, there are some similarities between Joan Rivers and Midge. Rachel Brosnahan prepared for the role by watching Rivers's stand-up specials and performances.

30 Facts Even Superfans of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Don't Know 30

trumpet sounds and notesfrom like this.
  3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

It's weird because it only happened for the fourth season .
    I watch it on Amazon prime
    On a smart tv

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  4. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

I don't know if updates change the settings, but I do know that I had to go back in and re-cancel the autoplay next episode at some point.

I love listening to the songs at the end and trying to ascertain their relevance. I guessed correctly that "Hero Takes a Fall" would refer to Lenny Bruce.

a customer likes this.
  5. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Finally got around to binging this season. It’s fallen off, IMO. Not sad the next one is the last. Alex Borstein is the best thing on the show. (And Zelda.)

mds likes this.
  6. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

BTW, anyone who likes the Jewish shtick of the show should also watch I Love That For You written by Vanessa Bayer, ex of Saturday Night LIve. She did the Bar Mitzvah boy character. Quite hilarious, but I'd say her humour is intentionally under-the-top, where Maisel is over-the-top. It's on Showtime and I've been watching it on Crave.

Alfie Noakes, mds and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  7. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

We just finished watching season four. Although we really enjoyed it and are looking forward to the final season, it didn't have the "snap" that I remembered the show having in previous seasons. I guess that can be attributed to the long break due to covid and the extra precautions needed which can take a toll on everyone.

I loved the Ferris Wheel scene. It is exactly what I wanted more of this season: snappy dialogue, fast exchanges, great editing, funny.

A gripe - there wasn't enough of Midge Maisel actually doing stand-up in season four. This drift from the core premise of the series was disappointing. Likewise, there seemed to be too many sub-plots this season. Rose and her matchmaking, Moishe's heart attack (feels like a writers' room contrivance), Joel and Mei's relationship/pregnancy (the pregnancy - another writers' room contrivance), the weird Susie/insurance check thing, the two mob-types starting to encroach on Susie's action and who were promised "a taste", Abe's travails regarding his reviews at the Village Voice and so on. There just wasn't enough Mrs. Maisel in season four of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel for me.

However, the show almost redeemed the entire season with the last episode. Brilliant stuff. Luke Kirby's delivery of his last line "If you blow this Midge I swear... you will break my fu¢king heart" was brilliant. Perfect. I mean, it got to me. And that those were the last words spoken in season four.. well, enough said. I devour Luke Kirby's portrayal of Lenny Bruce. If only Luke Kirby would/could do a mini-series on Lenny Bruce's life from 1956 to 1966.

Visually season four was pure eye candy, maintaining the high standards previously set. Art direction, set design, photography, camera direction, wardrobe, props (the Tupperware party), period hairstyles, movie marquis, special effects (1960 view of Times Square from Susie's office) on and on. Even when the plot line strayed the show was still fun to watch.

Regarding the last scene, Midge losing her very red umbrella to the wind in the blinding white snowstorm foretells her inability to resist the forces that will manifest in the final season. Then, to hammer home the obvious, "Go Forward".

FINAL SCENE - SPOILER

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

April 14th, 2023... it's a date!

- Kevin

9. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The show hooked me enough at the beginning to where I've been on board ever since, but the last season, frankly in my opinion, got a little bit too cartoonish compared to the earlier seasons.

Still, though, I'm all in for the final season.

10. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

That’s a waste of a trailer!

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Looking forward to the last season

12. MikeMusic

MikeMusic Forum Resident

Looking forward to it

13. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Season 1 was the best, season 2 a step down, 3 was very poor, I think 4 was a bit better so hopefully the final one will at least match that

14. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

I agree. She became more and more unfunny ... the bickering back and forth without room for air ... it had become one big caricature.

MikaelaArsenault and adm62 like this.
  15. Joel Cairo

Nope...

Season Two
    Season One
    Season Three & Season Four (tie, each a step down from Season One, except for S4E1, which is three steps down.)

- Kevin

16. Joel Cairo

NEW SEASON 5 TRAILER...!!:

April 14th, folks...!

- Kevin

17. Joel Cairo

Less than two weeks, folks...!

The MaiselTV Twitter account has some nice clips with the cast, from a recent CBS Morning profile.

-Kevin

18. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

How many episodes in season 5?

19. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

We couldn't have shot around those huge 21st century digital Metro-North departure boards in GCT?

20. Joel Cairo

Pretty sure that I saw that there will be nine... the first three will be presented on April 14th, and then one a week after that for six weeks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the storyline with Lenny finish out in the first three eps-- there's a definite time jump that's going to occur at some point, because Rachel B. was photographed in some decidedly late-60s outfits during the shooting.

- Kevin

21. Joel Cairo

I always thought that Abe should have been a hi-fi fanatic.

If there was ever anyone who would buy a Karg FM tuner (you know, the tuner with the TV-style channel dial), it's Abe Weissman!

("Yes, Miriam, I **know** there is a model with twelve selections, but there is no reason that any intelligent human being **or the members of his immediate family** would need to listen to more than six pre-set radio stations.")

Karg combo.jpg

- Kevin

22. Joel Cairo

A summary of S1 - S4 for those coming late to the party, and some tempting new S5 tidbits for us oldtimers...:

8 days away...!

- Kevin

23. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

24. Joel Cairo

Tomorrow night at 9:00 PM-ish (Pacific Time)...!

[​IMG]

Lots of great links at the @MaiselTV Twitter page-- some great reviews already linked... and some other goodies:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1645819195740020736

But be warned: They gave the reviewers access to all nine episodes, so there are mini-spoilers in some of the reviews...!

- Kevin

25. Joel Cairo

Titles of the eps & dates for Season 5...:

1. "Go Forward" (April 14th)
    2. "It's a Man, Man, Man, Man World" (April 14th)
    3. "Typos And Torsos" (April 14th)
    4. "Susan" (April 21st)
    5. "The Pirate Queen" (April 28th)
    6. "The Testi-Roastial" (May 5th)
    7. "A House Full Of Extremely Lame Horses" (May 12th)
    8. "The Princess And The Plea" (May 19th)
    9. "5x09" (May 26th)

- Kevin