The Mike and Mickey Show Live (2020 cd)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Apr 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Hep Alien, cwitt1980 and melstapler like this.
  2. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

This was posted a couple of days ago.. Pretty amazing stuff.

CURPLES, Guy Smiley, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  3. cabowabodude5150

cabowabodude5150 Forum Resident

you have to take into account that those shows don't have to pay for music clearences. the original dvd sets cost about $80 each, so the price for me was right on.

chad

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My first experience of this great Nesmith track was on The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band's "Uncle Charlie & His Dog Teddy" album from 1970, which also had his "Some Of Shelly's Blues" as the album opener and their versions of both of those songs will always be the one's for me!

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Propinquity

LSP2003, AlmanacZinger and pobbard like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I listened to M&M live. I was there two times in 2018. Great show.

I'm not sure if it would've helped to fade out after each track. Sometimes the next song begins in a jarring way, probably from cutting out chatter or extra applause to maintain timing. At least that's how it appeared to me.

Hep Alien and Galley like this.
  6. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Comparing the cd to audience recordings (take "Oh, Mimbus" for example, from the 18 June Sydney show) the tracks have been polished and vocals repaired/replaced/smoothed, and some odd chatter is excised. What is presented on the final cut flows much more smoothly in places that what actually transpired.

I've run through the live release twice, now, thanks to Amazon providing a digital copy in advance of my actually receiving the disc.. it is really a pleasant, well-balanced listen. Less of a strain, I might say, than the 1980's live record. Slick, comprehensive and well-produced.

7. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I think I posted that in the big thread. I'm interested to see what else they have-esp of The Monkees, as they claim. I guess they're wanting Rhino to contact them about the footage they (supposedly) have. Unfortunately for them (and us) it doesn't seem Rhino is interested in that type of thing anymore. What could it be? Live '67 footage?

Alas...

LSP2003 likes this.
  8. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Which is why the series blu-ray set was so expensive, and that cost is why it "took 4 years to sell out". Rhino knows that, so it irritates me a little when they try to use that as an excuse for why The Monkees may not sell well on home video. It's kind of a crock: the series is uber expensive because of music rights and HEAD is trapped in two different expensive box sets.

They really haven't tested the waters of cheaper home video options/projects.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I'd like to hear a full concert with Pete from '68.

Hep Alien, 905, LSP2003 and 3 others like this.
  10. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Wouldn't mind a live album from the 2011 tour and another 2 disc set of tracks from the 2012-16 tours.

Hep Alien, 905, Miller92473 and 4 others like this.
  11. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Well, we almost have one, the Live in Japan boot. Most of the set-list from the '68 Far East tour is on there, with the exception of a couple of Mike's songs.

But yes, an entire concert from then, without narration/voice-overs would be great, but I think it's pretty unlikely one exists.

12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Do you (or anybody reading this thread) know if any of those shows were actually recorded?

totmeyer likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Sandoval has said in the said past that they were

14. cloggedmind

Anyone with cold hard facts please chime in, as I would love to have all this neatly sorted out for once and all. That said, this is my view and understanding of what might have taken place--

Summer 2011..
    It was hinted that (at least some of) the 2011 shows were professionally recorded at least sound-wise, which I'll touch upon further below. I was at the 2011 show in Atlanta and, although there were no posted notices of recording, cameras were capturing the show long before the side screens were activated ('bout an hour in, after sunset).
    Mmmm?
    At 2:20 below, Davy gets right up to one camera guy joking, "Look at that leg!":

Yeah, I know venues do that anyway, but when it's not being shown? For an hour?

Later, in 2012..
    There were musings/facebook rumours after Davy's passing that suggested audio recordings did exist but may have been tied up in legal thisandthat having been (allegedly and likely shadily) financed and arranged by a certain in-law, with whom the Jones family wanted nothing to do with.

Moving further..
    Based on Monkee interviews, recordings were made on the second Post-Davy, Nez tour, they just didn't do anything with them. Reasons given were just not taking time to listen and pick the good stuff as well as rights and legal issues.

And now..
    In addition to the new live cd which is fantastic, btw, there are some excellent audience recordings from the last 9 years, many of which have decent video to go with. That may be all we ever get for some iterations of the touring lineup, but at least the recordings are out there!

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I like this arrangement of "Tapioca Tundra"; I don't think they did that at my show.

I haven't been able to spend too much time with this album but I like what I've heard. It seems like a pretty accurate snapshot of this era of the Monkees and I'm happy to have it.

Hep Alien, The MEZ and Elliottmarx like this.
  16. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

No insight-- but I was at the Atlanta show. Billy Bob Thornton was there!

I imagine the cameras they used there are the lightweight ones that feed into the screens and someone was punching between them.

905, RobRoyF and cloggedmind like this.
  17. cloggedmind

I never knew he was there!

Somebody named "Coco" or something got in the gate past us. The attendant was, like, "There's no admittance until the gates open"-- before she could finish her sentence, a pass was shown and she continued, "But, that's different. They'll show you where to go."

I shoulda recorded that night's version of Shades of Grey with the guys goofing around and Davy chasing the guy going to the toilet!! Fantastic night!

18. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Poor Nez's webcam kept freezing throughout...but I found myself laughing uncontrollably at one point:
    Micky is talking about the sad news about Adam Schlesinger, and Mike's camera freezes as he's blowing out a puff of marijuana. I felt bad about laughing but the sight of Mike was hysterical

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Due to being a M+M ticket holder, I got an email that my CD will arrive in the postal mail sometime this week. Maybe yours is on its way?

20. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

Yeah! A buddy pointed him out to me. Sitting at one of the tables.

That was a fantastic night. It was the first show of the US tour and there was a lot of enthusiasm in the air. The weather was perfect. Coco came out and sang Different Drum. We got a TON of deep cuts-- even the "We'll Be Back" bit.

The Monkees were BACK to me in a big way.

I remember Davy doing I wanna be free (not one of my favorites) and a few women around me tearing up. Great night.

21. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

The (alleged) Jones legal situation is so depressing. So much audio and video-wise he definitely had and I'm guessing the least Monkee-savvy person in his life probably holds all the keys to that stuff. Well it looks like the time for that stuff to generate any money has passed, so if there is a "shady keeper" playing hardball, I guess the joke is on them.

Grand_Ennui and cloggedmind like this.
  22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I was thinking, is this live CD really the end of the line for Monkee products? Surely there has to be something for Christmas, and a re-re-release of Christmas Party can't be it (cue the deluxe reissue of CP...).

So videos are out. No live blu-rays. No docs. No more old Monkee releases.

Okay. Then what?

No more even mentioning the super deluxe sets.

So maybe more live CD releases? At the very least, if the Jones era stuff is tied up, hopefully we can get something documenting the 2012-16 shows. That's all I can think of that's left. Obviously Sandoval has his book, which we're all looking forward to but that doesn't really count. Rhino's gotta have something besides another single disc comp.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Don’t know that it’ll ever be an official release, but that “de-mixing” project of the 1968 Tokyo concert is turning out well:

The Monkees Live in Japan Demixing Project

Hep Alien, 905, Grand_Ennui and 5 others like this.
  24. cloggedmind

I'm also remembering now that there was supposed to be a specially recorded Davy solo show released circa 2012, with editing completed around January that year. A teaser video was released to the YouTube from Global Recording Artists (who are/were they?) --

and then.. nothing.

Has it surfaced anywhere in collectors' circles?

I miss his voice.. the showbiz schmaltz, the doofy jokes in between songs. Peter as well. Never got to apologize to him for interrupting the 2016 show in Charlotte with m'Good Times shirt.

See, I thought it would be a good idea to hold my new;y scored merch shirt high whenever the album was mentioned, right? First time the spotlight was put on it and Pete was like "What's that say, Micky?" I tried to yell out "Good Times!!" but they couldn't hear me like in the fourth row and Micky was all "That's the cover of our album, I think?" So I kept it up there enthusiastically for all to see as they went into "She Makes Me Laugh", as not seen here:
    She Makes Me Laugh - The Monkees
    After this happened a couple of times later Pete was going, "All right, I see you over there.. with your shirrrt!!"

I got a kick out of it! But, late apologies (apple-logies) to Micky, Peter (wherever you are, bro), Andrew and all who put on a fantastic show! Another great night!! (And a bunch of it is on the 'Tube!)

Hep Alien, AlmanacZinger and RobRoyF like this.
  25. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

The boxset has been sold out for over a year now. Not sure there if there has been mention of a repressing with just the episodes alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.