The Miles Davis album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KevinP, Jan 16, 2008.

1. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

@penguinzzz "Shame there's not more Scofield & Berg but McLaughlin is a nice compensation."

Good point. IIRC, Bob Berg did say that a lot of his playing had been edited out. It would be good to hear the unedited versions.

penguinzzz, DTK and rxcory like this.
  2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Same. I don't know if I just got tired of it (something that rarely happened with Miles) or what, but I "lent" my copy to a friend, never expecting to get it back.

3. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

Does anyone know if there's a chance of an extended album of this, or any of other Miles' albums at some point?

Many rock artists are currently issuing box sets or remasters of their work (Beatles, Lennon, Hendrix, Bowie, Dylan, Bush etc). I know Miles has a Bootleg Series but this is moving very slowly.

slapbass and subtr like this.
  4. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

I was thinking about the Bootleg Series today. At the moment, Bowie and Dylan are getting one release a year (Bowie's isn't exactly the Bootleg Series) and I don't particularly follow The Beatles, but there seem to have been a few legacy releases in the last five years. Miles seems a bit behind, every 18 months - 2 years or so, though I might be wrong. Would be great for them to come up with a coherent plan for the series with year on year releases, especially with (so everyone keeps on saying as I buy more CDs) the death of physical media or at least the CD imminent, there's only so much mile(s)age they can get from taking their time over things.

5. Musicisthebest

I remember reading somewhere a few years back that the In A Silent Way box set had been a good consistent seller for Sony. There's also been several other box sets but nothing from Miles's post-retirement period from Sony. Here's hoping!

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

You’re Under Arrest is my favorite so far among the 80’s albums I think. Just a cool mix of moody, commercial and quirky. And SO 80’s!

crispi, rxcory, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Enjoy Arrest pretty good. Was never a fan of Human Nature, but it was better live.
    Miles recorded a lot of pop covers for the album that weren't included. Along with the uncut jams with Berg, Sco and McLaughlin that'd make a nice box set. And the album was a big seller, so you'd think the concept would make sense for Sony.

8. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

IIRC, the late Bob Belden, who worked on a number of the Miles boxed sets, said that there had been plans to release extended versions of Columbia's 80s albums, but the plan was shelved. :cry: With luck, it might be resurrected.

rxcory, penguinzzz and Musicisthebest like this.
  9. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Unfortunately I don't detect any enthusiasm for revisiting this period of MD. I think there's a general anti - 80's prejudice at work which doesn't help.

DTK, rxcory and slapbass like this.
  10. penguinzzz

On another note, always nice to revisit Sco tearing it up on Katia - his second last performance as part of MD's band. Notwithstanding Stern's brief return, it was a big change after Scofield left IMO.

rxcory, slapbass and acetboy like this.
  11. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

Sadly, I fear you may be correct...

DTK likes this.
  12. prudence2001

prudence2001 Forum Resident

Miles' bootleg series releases at least are progressing along faster the The Velvet Underground's. We've still only got one VU BS release, The Quine Tapes, and that was in 2001!

rxcory and subtr like this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

The opening to “One Phone Call” is based on that same guitar riff from The Meters that McLaughlin used on Jack Johnson (and Hendrix used on Band of Gypsys and so on and so on).

14. Musicisthebest

Good artists copy, great artists steal - Pablo Picasso

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  15. Gabe Walters

Sly used it too, though I can’t remember which song just now. In fact, The Meters might have taken it from Sly.

16. penguinzzz

Yes I always heard it as nod to Sly’s ‘Sing a Simple Song’ - though likely taken from the Hendrix/ Band of Gypsys version in the intro to “We Gotta Live Together”

Edit: actually the dates are off for the Hendrix- so Sly was the influence

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  17. Gabe Walters

That’s the one, thanks! Who can name the Meters song where it appears? My memory is failing me.

18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's a modified version of the riff from Sly Stone's Sing a Simple Song, as first recorded on the Jack Johnson track Right Off in April 1970. And played live in the early/mid 70s. And then the riff popped up in the 80s again. Nothing to do with The Meters - though I'd be interested to hear that song, which perhaps also lifted Sly's song?

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

A shame. There's a LOT of Miles' music from the 80s we haven't heard.

penguinzzz likes this.
  20. Gabe Walters

Yeah, we worked that out—I knew it was a Sly song too. It does appear in a Meters song, but they probably lifted it from Sly too. If I could remember which song, I could check the dates.

DTK likes this.
  21. Gabe Walters

Oh, I’m just an idiot. The Meters covered “Sing a Simple Song” on their self-titled album. :whistle:

penguinzzz and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Not an idiot, you're actually the first one who put it all together. I'd never made the connection between Sing a Simple Song and the Band of Gypsies track and Right Off before, so this has all been interesting. I have all four and should probably make a playlist with them all.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  23. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

All the best for the season fellow Miles fans! I have really enjoyed reading the comments on this thread - cheers for the excellent 1980s album summaries @rxcory! Hope we can resume the thread in 2019 - what next, Aura or Tutu?

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The Gypsys track We Gotta Live Together is really a cover of the 1969 Joe Hicks song "Home Sweet Home" (produced and written by Sly Stone) , then Jimi starts playing the "Sing A Simple Song" riff and Buddy finishes by vamping on the title.
    Sly Stone should have received writers credit perhaps, but him and Buddy Miles (who receives credit) and Hendix were all friendly at the time.

In essence, it's a heavily edited portion of a jam from the middle of a performance of Voodoo Child (Slight Return) that Jimi constructed to fill out the Band of Gypsys album, which he had to deliver against his will due to a contract dispute, and he didn't want to give away too many of his new songs.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

All the best! Great thread, cheers for everyone's contributions.