The Monkees Complete TV Show: Did You Upgrade To The Blu-Ray Set Or Did You Stick With The DVD Set?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley America’s Favorite Game Show Host

Yep... I have those tracks. Nez’s song is the definite highlight of all that. Peter’s “Prithee,” sadly, just doesn’t work for me. Honestly, I just don’t like the song much. “Goldilocks Sometime” is just flat out embarrassing.

Really, it’s “I’m a Believer” blues (Dodgy sound aside), the 50s medley, “String For My Kite,” “Solfeggietto,” and the LTTB jam, complete, and minus “I don’t believe it!” that I really want. Oh, and “Wind Up Men” too.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  2. Guy Smiley

No worries!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I've had things like that happen to me... One time, I even sent an email meant for an individual out to a whole e-group... (Luckily it wasn't anything bad :) )

D-rock likes this.
  4. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

5. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Glad you like it! I never could get into it.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Well, having seen The Monkees last weekend I once again considered the blu-ray set. I had seen some restored episodes on TV and they looked great. And that bonus content... But $200 is a lot of money. And I know how I am when it comes to watching TV shows, even Monkees TV shows. I had the Season 2 DVD years ago and barely touched it. But I was considering pulling the trigger on the blu-ray set just the same. I went to the Rhino site and looked good and hard at the set yet again.

This week I also had some car issues and phone issues and just bought a new pair of eye glasses so I thought it wasn't a good week to splurge (not to mention I just spent like $300 on music in the past month). So once again I said "not today". And now I can say "never", because it looks like the damn thing just sold out. The lone copy on eBay is already soaring over $400. Amazing.

I guess it wasn't meant to be. I'm gonna miss not seeing those "Head" outtakes, but that's the way it goes.

:cry:

bmasters9 likes this.
  7. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Price was ridiculous. Don't waste a second feeling bad about it.

8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Now that it sold out maybe a more reasonably priced version will come out

Kirk76 and chilinvilin like this.
  9. :biglaugh:

Although I hope so for those that couldn't get it.

10. Daniel Plainview

I almost bought the set this week. Almost. Now it's too late. :(

I'd definitely be up for cheap alternative.

11. Guy Smiley

I have a second set, sent to me by Dr. Rhino as a replacement, because it arrived with the lenticular cover piece broken off. Funny thing, the replacement box came in the same condition!

But the discs are fine on both (I sampled a few discs on the replacement, they are good). I should really sell one of those boxes. Half price seem fair? The lenticular cover could be glued back on (Although I have yet to try). Perhaps I’ll officially put it on sale here soon.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    bmasters9 and Daniel Plainview like this.
  12. Daniel Plainview

I'd be first in line!

bmasters9 likes this.
  13. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

I'm sorry I didn't buy 2 sets when they were 150. I could have sold the second set a few months later and turned a profit. If only we knew how close they were to selling out.

14. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

It wouldn't be the first time an expensive "deluxe" version was put out for diehards and then a cheaper version gets a release a few years later. Although with the state of physical media these days, unlikely but who knows. A more likely event would be a digital release on iTunes. Nothing to manufacture and the files are ready to encode.

15. Monkeefan88

Monkeefan88 Well-Known Member

There were a couple things promised as per Andrew that I didn't see in the final product, nit picking I guess but one of the the things he said would be included was the silent footage of the guys playing on that train, part of early promotion for the show would now finally have the sound to it and that definitely wasn't the case and was personally looking forward to hearing what they sounded like at that early stage.... I guess although it was a bit pricey I should be grateful it didn't fall apart upon arrival .. Just some taring on the inside packaging .. Oh well .

RobRoyF likes this.
  16. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Well, it does have sound, just not "actuality" or whatever you call it -- it's from a radio broadcast and it does seem at times to sync up so the audio is relevant to the video, but no real audio from their performance.

My DVD season sets are in storage, but I really want to A/B a few things. One early episode ("Ghost Town" IIRC) fades in at the very beginning on the DVD set, but "cuts in" on the Blu-Ray set. And there are one or two Season 2 episodes (I believe "Monkee Mayor" is one IIRC) where the "second act" begins very abruptly, as if part of the scene is cut off. Just looks like a dumb accident. But I need to go back and verify exactly which one it was.

Aside from that though, this is pretty much the definitive transfer of these shows. It's not even close.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wouldn’t mind a 2 disc set with just all the musical numbers.

saborlord123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.