The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pizza, Sep 8, 2015.

1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Small # of boxes???

Drifter, longdist01 and The Beave like this.
  2. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I feel weird quoting myself, but this just occurred to me: Had Andrew not been successful getting the Monkees to tour in 2011 -- had the last Monkees tour been the 2002 Davy/Micky tour with Barry Williams -- and Davy Jones died in 2012 -- would Micky, Peter and Nez have still reunited? I wonder. We'll never know in this lifetime, but had we lost Micky in 2012 instead of Davy, I can't see the other three reuniting (Davy and Peter reuniting with Nez). But stranger things have happened!

The wild and unpredictable trip of the last ten years of Monkees projects was incredible!

3. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

You ain't kiddin'! I came to the Monkees a little later in life, but to say I've been spoiled is an understatement. All I'm used to is tour after tour, box set after box set, new albums, show on Blu-Ray, 7a releases, Andrew's book, etc....I mean, c'mon! What an amazing time the last 10 or so years have been to have been a Monkees fan! Seems to be winding down now, but boy was it ever a fantastic ride.

Very Big "Thank You "to Andrew :tiphat:

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Has anyone here ever received a replacement box set from Rhino for one that was defective/damaged?

5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I doubt it. I forget which one said it, but Andrew was the only person that could get all the guys into the same room (or same conversation at least). I'm sure there were still some battles between the guys beyond the stage. Even if they did get together, I don't think they would have been able to last very long. Along with promotions and booking the right places, Andrew also certainly played the role of mediator.

MarkTheShark, D-rock and longdist01 like this.
  6. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

:edthumbs:

The Beave, deadbirdie and D-rock like this.
  7. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The one I got last month is the “improved insert” version. Is it just me, or is it incredibly difficult to get these discs out due to the flaps at the top and bottom? Poor design, or user error?

8. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

Yes. Even though my insert is torn up and loose, it’s still tough to get the discs out with those flaps. I feel like if some thicker, tougher paper was used there wouldn’t be a problem and no need for the flaps. I know I have other boxes where that’s the case.

longdist01, audiomixer and supermd like this.
  9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Yeah. You have to slide each one out (too snugly, I might add) in order to get to the next one. Wanna watch the final disc? Gotta squeeze each disc out, one by one. What a kooky design. It doesn’t work.

seacliffe301, 3Dman and audiomixer like this.
  10. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Using the ribbon it's quite easy to pull all the discs out together. They just pop out. But that's the problem with all these monkees boxes when discs are packed on top of one another. You have to take them all out to get the one you want

longdist01 and Pizza like this.
  11. audiomixer

BS!!!
    Mine has the "newer" insert and it was still damaged.

crazywater, longdist01 and 3Dman like this.
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I actually like the look of the package design for the Blu-ray and the CD sets. I do use the ribbons. For packaging that can be frustrating (and I may do this for my Blu-ray set) I’ll remove the discs and keep them in a seperate binder or slimline CD cases.

13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The little gold flaps at the top and bottom prevent the discs from being lifted out. They only barely have enough space for one to be taken out at a time. What am I missing? And yes, I am using the red ribbon.

14. audiomixer

Not at all. One at a time is the only way I can get mine out without further damaging the insert.

longdist01 and supermd like this.
  15. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Mine, too.

longdist01 and audiomixer like this.
  16. audiomixer

Have you contacted them for a replacement or retribution?

17. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

No. Not sure if I will or not.

18. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I feel I got very lucky with my situation. I placed my initial order, then saw the coupon posted a few pages earlier. I immediately (8 min later) placed a second order with the coupon, sending them an email to cancel my first order. They got back to me days later, saying it was too far along, and that it could not be cancelled. OK, so I received two copies and was able to inspect the outside to see any damage. One had noticeable scratching on the front image, so that was the one to be returned. I opened the one I’m keeping, and there was no damage inside. Add to that, when I returned my first order, they immediately refunded me the full amount, shipping and all.

Silver Surfer and seacliffe301 like this.
  19. audiomixer

I'd say so. Lucky for sure.

20. Beatlened

Beatlened Forum Resident

Those gold flaps aren't hard. The discs pop out past those with no effort. But like I said, it's a pain lifting them all out together

longdist01 likes this.
  21. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

You wonder why a plastic/vaccum formed tray wasn't considered from the start just to have some give with stacked disc sleeves in boxset?

D-rock likes this.
  22. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Mine are hard. :shrug: I gave it another shot, and lifted harder than I have before (out of prior caution of not wanting to ruin/bend the flaps) and it worked. The flap bent a bit, and it has a small crease on it, but it seems it’s supposed to bend that way, because there’s no other logical way to get them out.

Thank you.

The Beave and longdist01 like this.
  23. audiomixer

I used a letter opener & pulled out one at a time.

supermd, Michael and longdist01 like this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I never had any difficulty removing mine.
    The alternate disc holder is genius, not sure why everyone else hasn't done that.

Pizza likes this.
  25. supermd

supermd Senior Member

That should not be necessary. :laugh::shake:

longdist01 likes this.