The Monkees "Headquarters" Deluxe Edition - Friday Music version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BeatleStair, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Only $20 at import CDs. Does it still sound like it's from the multi-tracks with the added clarity?

Regardless, this sounds like the release of Headquarters that I've been waiting for. I think the album benefits immensely from a warmer sound.

Also, does "For Pete's Sake" sound like the original album now? It's never sounded right on the Rhino CDs.

This and Pisces were both overly bright, so hopefully Pisces is next.

I went ahead and placed my order.

2. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member Thread Starter

I would say it sounds warmer meaning it's not nearly as bright as the Rhino 2006 version. The bonus tracks sound less compressed as well. My gut feeling is that Friday took the transfers from 2006 and didn't add the compression that was on that set. Don't know if they actually remastered this set from the masters but to me it sounds much less bright and very nice. And as weird as it seems, the artwork is really nice on this set - by far the best artwork of any of their Monkee releases.

I've played this set through twice and am very pleased with it. Nice job. I am still so thankful Andrew S. has been going through the Monkee vaults - what a great job and I LOVE these sets. I am hoping the other three Deluxe Editions get this treatment as this set sounds really nice.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Just clearing up a misconception, the Deluxe Editions of the first four albums were regular commercial releases available in stores, not Rhino Handmade releases. They didn't stay in print very long however.

On this new Headquarters CD, are all the same bonus tracks included? If so, it is almost certainly mastered from the same transfers as the Rhino Deluxe. Hopefully Friday worked from the raw files and didn't merely tweak the Rhino CD master.

4. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I hope they at least included a "compiled by Andrew Sandoval & Bill Inglot" credit somewhere, then. If Andrew and/or Bill didn't work on the Friday Music version, they wouldn't nave "Produced" this one - but as it has an identical track list, there's absolutely NO reason they shouldn't be credited for that.

Please advise to the credit block.

5. BeatleStair

Actually the Headquarters and Pisces sets were also made available through Rhino Handmade as they offered a bonus 45 of Sally and Daydream Believer to the first 500 who bought there. They were also available in stores so strictly not Handmade but I bought them there so I referred to them as Handmade. Same bonus tracks as the Rhino set.

6. BeatleStair

They actually removed the Andrew/Bill credit for this reissue.

7. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm going to have to pick this one up. Do people generally prefer the mono mix for Headquarters or does this one come across better in stereo?

I wish that they would do a two disc version of The Birds, the Bees & the Monkees.

8. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

I understood that from your first post, but was wondering if they still had (at least) a compilation credit - which they should. Who carries the Reissue Producer credit?

9. BeatleStair

Oh sorry, I looked fast. No, there's no compilation credit in the booklet as well. No mention anywhere, that I saw, of Andrew or Bill's name in the new booklet. No producer credit for this reissue which I thought was strange. Not sure if the Friday Music "Present" or "Changes" had reissue producer credits either.

10. BeatleStair

I like them both. Actually as I was listening to the mono mix again on this CD, I liked it more than I previously had. I noticed things in the mixes that I hadn't before - more echo on "Mr. Webster" in mono and a lot of punch in the mono "You Told Me" and "Sunny Girlfriend". Stereo is nice as well

The mono on this new CD sounded a bit punchier and cleaner to me than before. I would love to know if Friday Music just tweaked the 2006 transfers or redid them all again from the analogue masters. I would find it hard to believe they redid them from scratch but you never know. All I know is that I thought this set sounded better than the previous issues of this material.

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I can't imagine Friday would have done these completely from the analogue masters. Either they worked from untweaked raw files or they just re-EQ'd 'em (probably more likely) from the Rhino discs. Would like to hear more impressions though before I re-buy this. I really didn't like how bright the Rhino set was, so I *may* re-buy this if it's really that much better.

12. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Interesting... I never had a problem with the Deluxe 2-disc sets. The stereo mix of Pisces.. always struck me as particularly close to the lp (with my setup, anyway) with "Door Into Summer" (a favorite, natch!) having that close, intimate presence in the vocals that was missing on previous cd issues.

Might grab this if the consensus deems it worthy. Sounds like it might be. Hard to grasp, though.. A Friday Music release with great mastering and great artwork. Astounding!

Edit: I might add, I like that disc label for HQ. Looks sorta grown-up compared to previous Friday discs. Maybe it's a sign.

13. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Certainly seems hard to believe given their previous track record.

Darryl

cloggedmind likes this.
  14. zen

zen Senior Member

Ditto. :righton:

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Would you run your CDs through the DR Meter so that we can compare to the original Rhino Deluxe?

16. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

I remain wary, however I could be convinced to give it a try. Time will tell.

action pact likes this.
  17. 905

905 Senior Member

Do we know why the times are different between the Rhino and this one?
    Was it removal of studio chatter? That wouldn't bother me to be honest.

18. BeatleStair

I don't know how to do that or I'd be happy too. I'd love if someone else buys it and does it. I'm just going by how it sounds to me.

19. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

Chatter is gone, at least for She Hangs Out and Tema Dei Monkees. It appears that the bonus tracks are level shifted versions from the Rhino disc (quieter), and the mono album is from the Headquarters Sessions set.

20. semidetached

Let me quote my friend who did the detective work on this one:

The stereo album is very similar to the 1994 Rhino but just a little bit brighter. The mono album is practically identical to the "Headquarters Sessions" set. The bonus tracks are all taken from the 2007 set but with the volume levels lowered, and in the case of "She Hangs Out" and "Tema Dei Monkees", the opening chatter has been chopped off.

So if you have the 1994 Rhino, the Headquarters Sessions set and the 2007 deluxe, this new set is totally unnecessary.

However, if you passed on the 2007 set, or if you don't have the "Sessions" set, then this new one will be an essential purchase.

fatwad666 and Hep Alien like this.
  21. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

Brighter than the '94? Ughh...
    I'm guessing that "For Pete's Sake" still doesn't sound right either.
    I already "fixed" Headquarters on my home PC. I was hoping this would be better.

22. semidetached

So was I.

23. BeatleStair

Mmm, interesting. Personally I like the sound of the level shifted bonus tracks - I think they sound better a little quieter and this set is worth picking up just for those. I still think the mono album sounds a bit punchier to me than the "Headquarters Sessions" version but you may be right. I'm still pleased with this set. I didn't figure that Friday Music had gone back to scratch but this is still the best of their Monkee reissues so far. It sounds pretty good to me.

24. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

I have all 3 of these. I've regretted selling the 90s Rhino discs. Got the 1st 5 back.

Darryl

25. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

F-tards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.