The Monkees "More of the Monkees" Rhino Handmade Deluxe Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Spaceman, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Bart Mazzetti

Bart Mazzetti Well-Known Member

I have Andrew Sandoval's Monkees book open in front of me and you're right on all three counts.

Hep Alien, D-rock, BobT and 1 other person like this.
  2. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

This is just my own speculation, but Andrew's comment fits in with a suspicion I had that some of the mono MOTM album on the 2006 set was from vinyl. The fades of some songs were a second (or four) longer on the original LP.

As far as TV mix for "I'm A Believer," I happen to have compared all the TV appearances of "I'm A Believer" to the released mono mix, and I couldn't determine any differences.

Yes, I have no life. :D

Hep Alien, O Don Piano and D-rock like this.
  3. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

All Rhino NEEDS to do, include dust sleeves for the CDs and I will very happy.

Hep Alien and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  4. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Surprised no one has mentioned that Andrew Sandoval has been remixing Sometime In The Morning from the 4 track multitracks today. This is getting interesting. Wonder how long until a track list is released?

5. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It was interesting that his Tweet response was apologetic about the distortion inherent in the original tapes when 99.9% of those of us who buy the set will be ecstatic for ANY kind of remix of the song from the original tapes.

One wishes that the production team involved with the music side of the project - especially in the early-going - had been more prescient about the long-lasting appeal of the Monkees. It's a shame that there have been so many gaps in the tapes from MOTM to PAC&J.

Hep Alien and Sammy Banderas like this.
  6. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

to get an idea of the audio quality should be like for Sometime In The Morning remix, take a listen to this guide vocal version.

phillyal1, JamieC, Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  7. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Andrew Sandoval has been active on Twitter @cometothesun in the last week talking about the fact he is back working on More of the Monkees. Can't wait. MOTM was my first experience of the Monkees via my Uncle

Hep Alien, Grand_Ennui and D-rock like this.
  8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

A couple of tidbits from Andrew via his podcast in the chatroom: set is about 75% completed. He says the tracklist is coming soon with lots of good stuff that has not been previously released. ..

9. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

He play anything interesting during the show?

10. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

No Monkees yet. It is sort of a best of

D-rock likes this.
  11. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

And on instagram with this photo and that musical question "Any guesses for what I'm working on today?" [​IMG]

12. Hep Alien

Hep Alien Forum Resident

yay!

13. readr

readr Forum Resident

Andrew tweeted that he cut the lacquer for the bonus 45 today...sweet.

So, the new set will have a 45 for sure. I speculate mono tv tracks...Valleri b/w Words
    I stuffed my cereal box Rhino 45's into my Monkees S/T Deluxe Box Set...that works.
    Just bought The Beatles Pepper box...thinking Andrew will use a new stereo remix for the stereo album section and include the original mono album, naturally...similiar to what Apple did with Pepper.
    Thinking the MOTM set will be loaded with sessions.

Hep Alien and Sammy Banderas like this.
  14. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member

Late To The Party.....

I totally missed the Handmade release of the first Monkees album. I assume it is OOP now. I have that album on original Colgems vinyl (mono), an Arista CD, the first Rhino release & the 2-disc Rhino release.

Were all the bonus tracks on the 2-disc release also included on the Handmade - or do you have to keep both?

What is the best sounding versions of The Monkees and More Of The Monkees? (As I recall the 2-disc versions were a bit "bright"......)

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. readr

readr Forum Resident

Instant Replay, The Monkees Present, and The Monkees S/T Super Deluxe Box Sets are in print......for now. The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees and Head Super Deluxe Box Sets are OOP.
    Currently, I feel the best sounding digital discs for the first two albums is the original Rhino 90's CD's. The Deluxe album versions ("bright versions"), which are also included in last years 10-CD Box Set are the closest you'll get to the original albums.....but who said those were the best sounding to begin with.
    Here's the deal with Rhino Monkees' releases......never give up your discs. They're all unique. Andrew keeps remixing, finding original mixes, or even alternate alternate versions, so every release has unheard stuff.....all are essential for collectors. The Monkees S/T SDBS has new stereo remixes of many of the album tracks....though a few of the master tapes are missing, notably Last Train To Clarksville, Saturday's Child and Theme From. Looking forward to hearing the new stereo remix of MOTM.

16. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

17. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

The 45 sounds like an iso of Steppin' Stone vocals. That would lead me to assume that a remix for this track is indeed very probable. The announcement of release date and track list cannot be too far off. Missed the 50 year anniversary of the release date 01/07/67,so your guess is as good as mine when the actual release date will be-perhaps in October?

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
  18. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident

October or November is most likely for a release. Rhino should have a track list this month.

Can't believe it's been 3 years since the last box set in this series came out!

19. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

If I read it correctly, the one thing that really caught my attention was the question from May 16 that a girl (Aubrey) asked Andrew Sandoval on twitter (Andrew Sandoval on Twitter ):

Hi Andrew. It's Aubrey here :) just curious, does this mean that you are still finding new-to-you master tapes?

Andrews response: Yes Indeed!

WHOA! That's awesome!:goodie:

Now what I want to know is:
    * WHAT & HOW MANY NEW TAPES HAVE BEEN FOUND???
    * Specifically? (which songs?, multi-tracks?, 1st generation 2-track mix down masters?, etc.)
    * Where and when were they found after all these years of searching?

Depending on "which" and how many new tapes have been found, this could have implications well beyond the "More Of The Monkees" Super Deluxe reissue.

It would really be cool to know exactly what was found. Are we talking a couple of tapes or tons of stuff (e.g., the complete The Birds, The Bees & The Monkees Mono Masters? The balance of the missing multi-tracks for the debut album, etc.)

Somebody needs to ask Andrew if he can provide more detailed information on the "new-to-you (Andrew) master tapes".

20. jfmlaugh

jfmlaugh Forum Resident

Would be so amazing if Jeff Barry had some tapes in his attic...along with the Changes masters...and that's what Andrew found. Dreaming, I know

21. Midwest Rocker

Midwest Rocker Forum Resident

Yeah, I have been secretly "hoping" the same thing.

Jeff Barry's son mentioned that he pulled all the tapes/acetates out in July 2016, and 6-months later (December of 2016), he still had not listened to everything yet (he did not specify what percentage of the material he had actually listened to at that point, so we don't know if he just scratched the surface or has gotten through most of it... my gut feeling is he's barely started). It's somewhat understandable why this is a low priority to him, but that still doesn't make it any less frustrating to us crazy Monkees fanatics:shh:.

If Andrew Sandoval had access to the recordings, he would pull "all-nighters" straight through until he listened to everything in a matter of days:biglaugh:.

22. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

Are the "Arista" remixes that Bill Inglot did in the 1980s unique to those CDs or did they all eventually show up on later reissues, deluxe editions, box sets, etc?

Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  23. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Pretty much. A lot of them are on the Japanese "By Request" 3 CD set.
    According to the Monkees Mixography page some also appeared on the 80s Rhino Vinyl but that doesn't make sense to me.

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Why not? Rhino licensed all that stuff from Arista at the time. That Mixography guy analyzes that stuff closely in detail.

Keith V likes this.
  25. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Oh I know. But the Rhino vinyl came out about 1986 and the Arista CDs about 1989.....I think.