The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Got a shipping notice this morning from Mosaic for my copy of Bee Hive.

2. ilistentoallkinds

ilistentoallkinds Forum Resident

Wow, my copy shipped out just two days before the set was taken off the site, and it will be here next week-- really glad now that I acted when I did! I was afraid that it wouldn't be in print much longer!

3. ilistentoallkinds

You and I both got this one just before the door closed, but you really did! Good going, man! :righton:

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

Please no shipping updates. Thanks.

fatwad666 likes this.
  5. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Hopefully you all that ordered that Bee Hive set have received it and are enjoying it. I listened to Dizzy Reece's Manhattan Project on CD 4 and it was the first album in this set that didn't sound very good. Maybe it was a rough tape or perhaps a bit sloppily engineered session. Which is a shame b/c the music is fantastic, great playing & songs. A couple of tracks on the end of that CD are from Clifford Jordan's Hyde Park After Dark and there's a noticeable improvement in SQ when those songs start.

6. ilistentoallkinds

Hmm, that's unfortunate to hear that the sound is not very good on on that particular album. I am encouraged, though, to hear that the playing and songs are great! :) Hopefully, the album doesn't suffer from anything like the "Loudness Wars," which were not yet close to being waged when Bee Hive were recording and releasing their albums in the late 1970s and early '80s?

While I'm waiting for my Bee Hive set to arrive (should have it by the end of the day), Bobby-- do you have Mosaic's 6-disc Savory Collection, and if so, what do you think of it? Is it up to Mosaic's generally high quality of releases, music-wise, sound-wise, and in terms of the booklet notes?

I am still at least strongly considering a purchase of the Savory box next (really hoping that it doesn't go on Last Chance for a couple of months, but one never knows!!), and I'd like some input from you and/or anyone here who has it. In the end, if, for some reason, my next Mosaic purchase isn't Savory, it will likely be due to my now-very-careful (daily) looking out for whichever currently-available box set does show up on the Running Low or Last Chance lists next!

I've had the great Bing Crosby box for years. It's currently on the Running Low list, and I'm so glad that I bought that one fairly soon after it was released! I've gotten so many hours of enjoyment from that set! If anyone here loves vocal jazz, small-combo jazz, or just wonderful singing, do not hesitate to purchase Mosaic's Bing box while it is still in print. It has given me a whole new appreciation for the man as an artist. Before hearing this set, I didn't even know that Crosby had a background in jazz at all! I was woefully uninformed on that count! Bing can vocally swing with the best of 'em in my book, and I love his musical partners' playing on those discs too! :righton:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM
  7. Bobby Boogaloo

Bobby Boogaloo Heavy on the grease please

Unfortunately I don't have it. I've read where they did they best they could with the media available to transfer these tracks. See this note from Scott Wenzel on the Discography page way at the bottom:

"The sound quality of these broadcasts will differ from track to track. However, the following discs presented problems that could not be eliminated in either the transfer or restoring process: The following is a list of some of the more problematic tracks:

John Kirby - minnie the moocher’s wedding day – static throughout

Mildred Bailey / Stuff Smith - The entire “Swingtime At NBC” program was of particularly poor quality.

Stuff Smith - The Randall’s Island broadcast includes “bleeding” from neighboring radio frequencies throughout.

Glenn Miller - in the mood – high frequency signal noises persist."

I think it's a either a case of a recording engineer having a bad day and/or tape deterioration. There's times when the rhythm section gets a bit muddy, but almost throughout the horns don't sound quite right.

ilistentoallkinds likes this.
  8. ilistentoallkinds

Ahh, ok, thanks for the help on those questions. I'm not put off from buying the Savory box at this point, but I will be sure to adjust my expectations in terms of the sound on some of the tracks.

Still can't wait to hear the Bee Hive set! If, hopefully, only one or maybe two discs out of the twelve have less-than-great sound, I will still be very happy. Ten or eleven very-good-sounding jazz discs with stellar playing, and one or two lesser-sounding discs with also-great playing, and a nice booklet, very much add up to a worthwhile purchase for me, especially when the music is so rare and likely to never be available on CD again.

Bobby Boogaloo likes this.
  9. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind if people post when the new boxes are being shipped. This thread only averages several posts per week. It is not like there is a flood of shipping posts. To me, anything that keeps it active and before people's eyes is good.

Did anyone on this thread go to the open house?

10. ilistentoallkinds

The very good Mosaic news for me, right now, is that disc one of The Bee Hive Sessions is absolutely fantastic, and that I really love the fatboy packaging for these twelve discs! (I just like fatboy pacakaging for CDs in general.)

The unfortunately not-so-good news that in each one of the four fatboys in this set, before I ever even opened them, the second disc was completely dislodged from its spindle and rolling around inside. How could that have happened to each second disc in each of these four three-disc sets?! When I put the discs onto their respective spindles, they were held there very securely, very tightly-- which leads me to wonder if they were ever even placed onto their spindles at all during the packaging!

Also, brand-new, out of the box, the second of the four fatboys had two noticeable scratches on its cover. I don't want to make a big deal out of relatively small matters, but when a box set costs $169, plus $15 in shipping, it would be nice if it arrived to me without multiple CDs dislodged and scratches on one of the covers. It feels like a small miracle that none of the four dislodged discs has any scratches.

The music itself, so far, though, is truly great! If all, or most, of these twelve discs are nearly as groovin' as the first one, this ride through The Bee Hive Sessions is going to be a very fun (and even transcendent) one!

Bobby Boogaloo likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Forum Resident

Well the dislodging can easily occur in shipping, or when the delivery man dropped it on your porch. No one ever believed jewel box "nubs" to be perfect. Sometimes it is better for them to be only moderately tight than those you get once in a while that are so supertight that the CD can get cracked on removal.

The Japanese used to insert a layer of foam in between the CD layers in those "fatboys" to help keep them tight on their nubs. But, alas, if you let that foam sit there for 25 years, the chemicals in the foam can degrade into a brown glue and destroy the CD completely. Better to use a few sheets of folded paper to provide the pressure to keep fatboy CDs in the nubs

The scratched plastic fatboy outer shell can easily be replaced with almost any single CD jewel box back and tray insert.

The roots singer Michael Hurley has a song called "Automatic Slim and the Fatboys". I never realized it was about CD jewel boxes

12. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Hey, did anybody go to Mosaic's open house day and how was that like?