The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Used sets are popping up everywhere, as many collector's or their families are disposing of collections. They are often sold at good prices.

ggjjr likes this.
  2. Yes the two-fers were a good solution Have many from Prestige and only a few duplicates.

And this is also true: Used sets are popping up everywhere, as many collector's or their families are disposing of collections. They are often sold at good prices.

3. Agreed with "unlimited funds" in the back. Unfortunately my situation is "the normal case" as for many of us.
    ;-]]

4. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

Yes, I know, but if there was enough of a demand I would hope they might try to negotiate a new deal. Some of the sets never seem to come up for less than a small fortune.

5. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

What part of "never" don't you understand? :)

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Well, of course, the content of many Mosaic sets has been reissued in the years since Mosaic started. Quick examples, Monk, Nichols, Brown, etc.

But with the collapse of the CD market, such comprehensive new reissues are unlikely by anyone. The owners would rather sell people 40 minutes of music for $50 on LP. At that rate, used Mosaic sets are a great bargain.

melstapler and John DeAngelis like this.
  7. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

To avoid any misunderstandings: the recordings were reissued by the labels that own them (and by EU public-domain labels), not by Mosaic. Sometimes Mosaic's masterings were used, but that's all.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    melstapler, John DeAngelis and Mark J like this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

True, of course. Most of them (maybe all) did NOT improve on Mosaic's sound.

melstapler likes this.
  9. ggjjr

ggjjr Forum Resident

I understand that I've learned to never say "never".

John DeAngelis likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

That sounds like a good idea for a song. Never Neverland

ggjjr likes this.
  11. one of those recently appeared labels is "DOXY" (russian origin). Another is "Speakers Corner Recors". The<y all draw heavily on original recordings.
    Have never seen a license printed on the covers.

12. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Armstrong Decca set now on Running Low list

melstapler likes this.
  13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

What else is there, Mosaic mastering, label’s own mastering..... what else do you mean?

14. J.A.W.

To clarify: Mosaic paid for the masterings used on their sets, but they (the masterings) are owned by the licensing labels and the labels sometimes use them once the Mosaic sets are OOP.

15. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

For example Blue Note Stanley Turrentine/Sextet Sessions.

16. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Also, there are many of these collections on Spotify. Type in "Capitol Vaults Jazz Series" and quite a few come up. I often listen to the Krupa-James collection.

17. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt Forum Resident

The Krupa-James collection is also on Qobuz but unlike the Turrentine it's prohibitively expensive buy, so Spotify would be the way to go on that one, although of course Qobuz does have a streaming option. I suspect that what's on Qobuz is on Spotify and vice versa: Coleman Hawkins, Louis Prima & Wingy Manone, Lou Donaldson, Horace Parlan, Louis Armstrong etc.

18. Bobby Buckshot

Armstrong Decca now on Last Chance.

19. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

I wonder if they are waiting for the 1935-1946 box to go out of print before putting up the new Armstrong box for sale

20. Bobby Buckshot

I'm not sure they could or would coordinate that at this point.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I cannot imagine why they would do that. Putting out a new Armstrong box would only speed up the sales of the remaining copies of an older Armstrong box. The new box will increase the desire among some collectors to get all of the older sets, now only on the used market.

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Are CDs funny?

23. Bobby Buckshot

24. PATB

PATB Recovering Vinyl Junkie

Received my Mobley box set today:

[​IMG]

25. J.A.W.

fatwad666 and Elmo like this.