The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

If the Commodore Mosaics had come out on CD, I would have jumped on them - well, kind of ;) Alas, another licensing restriction.

2. J.A.W.

One of the great ballad players.

3. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

Did they release a Wed Montgomery set? I have to think it was the Resonance set.

4. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

No. Riverside issued a box set of Wes

5. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  6. Farmer Mike

Mosaic could offer their production, research and mastering expertise to whatever label they'd like to work with. Curate and assemble a set for the label and then be able to do the same with a more comprehensive set that they could sell. Since most of the labels have dumped anybody who knows anything, being a freelance production house could keep Mosaic viable.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  7. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I never saw any official notice of a sale, but that Roland Kirk Limelight/Verve LP box is $75 right now. It wasn't always that cheap was it? Could've sworn it was listed at around $100 originally. Great deal regardless.

8. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Mobley set showing in stock now - at least no notice otherwise. Will be interesting to see if those that have ordered in the past now get their order fulfilled. This is one of those sets at the top of my list.

9. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

They could try to reissue their out of print sets. I want copies of some earlier boxes from them so bad, like the complete Miles Davis Bitches Brew box, but it's out of print and very expensive on the open market. Reissue that on vinyl for $150 and I'll buy it. Also, they need to get involved in Record Store Day, there's jazz titles every year, get in on that action.

10. J.A.W.

Their releases are limited, guaranteed never to be reissued again. Apart from that, they're only licensees, they don't own the recordings, so it's not up to them.

11. That's part of the licensing deal, that Mosaic only has a limited time to sell a limited number of physical sets. Most of the majors wouldn't grant licensing for unlimited periods of time (or unlimited numbers of sets) -- or, rather, the cost to do so was probably very prohibitive (if that was even a ever a possibility).

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Bear Family negotiated longer term licences for nearly all of their deluxe box sets, and as a result nearly all of their boxes still sell. If Mosaic had sought to do the same back around 1980, I think they would be in much better shape now. Certainly some licences would not be extensive, but if the vast majority of their catalog were in print, I believe customers would still be ordering and buying like crazy. Limited was considered to be the key to success, but it actually was a guarantee of death. What was special about Mosaic was their high quality production. Nearly all of their most desired boxes are gone, and the audience for boxes with continuing licences is small.

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Wow, the Savoy set is on "back-order" when it is just about their most recent release. I know that I do not know their business dealings, but that seems like bad planning. It could be selling now. But if things go on, they may not even have it again.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

The question might be, after everything they've already licensed, what's next?

Marzz likes this.
  15. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Some of the labels are still sitting on material that Mosaic licensed however.

16. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this. It's interesting that you mention Japan. Another factor could be postage costs.

In the past, a considerable amount of Mosaic sets were also sent to Australia. But postage costs to Australia have become prohibitively expensive. For example $60.00 (USD) with tracking (the only option I'd use). Even the risky and slow standard postage rate is 30 US dollars! So that's (approximately) $80Aud for postage with tracking!! That's not Mosaic's fault of course but it is a reality.

So, for example, the new Savoy Bebop set works out to just over $300 (Aud) shipped! I suspect many long term jazz fans already own (the bulk) of this material anyway (authorized releases, not Public Domain).
    I can't imagine casual Jazz fans or even the curious dropping $300 for a box that doesn't have any Miles Davis in it ;)

Personally I can afford these sets and so I do buy them and would definitely continue to do so. I see the value in these wonderful sets and to me they're worth every single cent. It's also music I love.
    But, rationally I can empathize with anyone who can't afford these prices, at least in Australia. I wonder if it's a similar situation in Japan or Europe?

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    jay.dee and Imagine70 like this.
  17. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Believe it or not, Jazz sales are Lower than Classical Music sales. Twenty years ago I could see problems when the Miles Davis box sets on vinyl and CD took years to sell out. I got second copies of the boxes years after buying the first boxes. I'm amazed Mosaic lasted this long. BTW Mosaic, outside of a few aches and pains I'm still here toughing it out with my TT and SACD player. :magoo:

Apres moi le deluge. :angel:

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If true, we can analyze that just like many analyze the last election. We need some more respect for the elders and more respect for the young,

19. Farmer Mike

If jazz sales are as bad as reported, you'd think the labels would be looking for any avenue to generate sales from all of the material that they are sitting on. If they don't have the desire or expertise to exploit all of their masters, make deals with an entity that might be able to.

20. jlrchrds

jlrchrds Forum Resident

In a way, it makes sense that Classical outsells Jazz. Classical music was transcribed and meant to be played throughout the ages. Jazz is spontaneous and often not transcribed; heck some of the best musicians couldn't read sheet music. Most towns of size have their own orchestra performing varied works always bringing the music to some forefront. Jazz is becoming more of a lost art. Here in Chicago and the Jazz clubs are more or less gone (Green Mill, yes it's still here). Anyway, there was only one Charles Mingus, one Jackie McLean. To quote Eric Dolphy, "When you hear music, after it’s over, it’s gone, in the air, you can never capture it again." Jazz is by nature ethereal. These people and their performances were an instant of time. At least we still have some recorded output, and I don't know how you get new audiences drawn in... good music is matter of good taste (and to sound like a snob, most people have little to no taste). Sorry if that sounds snotty, but it's my honest opinion.

BTW, I listened to the Mingus Jazz Workshop set last night. Mosaic really does the job right.

Jeff

Last edited: May 3, 2017
    Andersoncouncil and Kkfan like this.
  21. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

It doesn't matter whether the old respect the young because only the young have a long term future. If your point is that different generations have something to learn from each other, that is true.

Agree that the marketing of jazz has been very poor. Part of the problem is that jazz was recorded by more small labels than big labels. Decca EMI Sony Philips etc were large companies, preserved their classical (and pop) tapes and can now rebundle their classical recordings in box sets easily.

You get audiences the usual way - by doing something they find amusing or interesting. Jazz like classical has never been mass music but a profitable niche for both is possible. Live performance is still quite popular despite the decline of physical media. The real problem with both classical and jazz is that new artists are not maintaining the field sufficiently. So both are becoming museum like. As you note classical has a big advantage by writing down the notes.
    BTW Indian classical music has the same problem as jazz since it is an improvised performance where nothing is written down and their audience is declining too.

22. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

In my view, Mosaic should consider more sets by musicians from a more recent vintage than he hard bop era. Recent sets by Anthony Braxton and Henry Threadgill have done very well, and I think that Mosaic should take a cue from that. Looking at guys who play a little "outside" would be interesting for a younger generation of fans. I would love to see sets, preferably on vinyl, by guys like Oliver Lake, Von Freeman, John Carter (in addition to the excellent Mosaic Select), Horace Tapscott, and David Murray. Looking at overlooked session guys like Olu Dara (it's amazing on how many great albums that guy has played) may also be interesting.

I'm just throwing this out there because the current strategy of releasing albums by people who last put something on record 60 years ago may not be sustainable if Mosaic wants to continue to grow its customer base.

mneuliep, Marzz, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting that QRP and MFSL seem to reissue Jazz titles more than classical.

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The classical reissue market is dominated by bargain-priced box sets (even in new remasters, and many massive boxes) issued by the major corporations. It is thriving. I don't think they care to license out masters. Jazz should copy what is going on in classical. It would shut down the grey market stuff

25. teag

teag Forum Resident

You are referring to CDs when you say box sets? If vinyl, please point me in the direction to find these bargain sets! And are you saying these are not pressed from the original masters?

I was thinking of vinyl when I mentioned QRP and MFSL releases.