The Mosaic thread: news and opinions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 26, 2017.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

I also liked the clips. Just glanced over the discography and I am tempted... If I do decide to get it, I'd better order it before June 1, at the discount price.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Lennie Tristano box? I'm a fan of him, but want to factor in just how much I'd listen to it or if it's mostly intended for completists, which I'm not.

4. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I think it's phenomenal. Highly listenable. It's not a "complete session" set -- and the discs are programmed thematically. With the added intimacy of them being personal recordings, there's a cool, exclusive and chill vibe that leads me to play several discs in one setting. Personally, this is the type of set I hope we see Mosaic doing A LOT more of.

kt66brooklyn and hvbias like this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Is the Paul Desmond set gone for good at Mosaic or will it be repressed?

6. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

gone

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, I wrote them just in case. Or have you comfirmed this already?

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  8. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Can be confirmed through an earlier post. Possible Scott maybe has another set laying around.

mpayan likes this.
  9. I mostly agree — but be aware that about 25% (maybe closer to a full 1/3rd?) of the set is taken from a variety of less-than-optimal sources (wire recordings, and such). So out of a six-cd set, about 100-110 minutes of it is somewhat rougher (but it’s spread about over about 3 discs).

The sound-quality doesn’t bother me, and the music more than makes up for it (imho) — but some of the absolutely most interesting (and historically significant) music on the set does come from those sorts of lesser-quality sources.

Would I buy it again? - if I’d been able to preview the entire set?? — most definitely YES. But after hearing it all, it’s clear how and why some of the most amazing music on this set hadn’t been issued before. And, I’d argue, it also explains why bundling all of it together made the most sense too. There’s something for everybody, but not everyone might love every bit of it.

I really love it — practically all of it — but there are probably a number of other key Tristano recordings one probably ought to have first, before diving into this set. I think Mosaic did a wonderful job with this one, and it’s probably one of their more important sets ever (historically speaking). But it might not be for everyone.

The sonic limitations do have a way or ironing themselves out with repeated spins (the brain, or at least mine anyway), seems to have a way of filling in what can’t quite be heard — particularly on some of the very earliest piano-guitar-bass trio tracks from the mid-to-late 40’s. And some of the live tracks with the two-horn front line of Konitz and Marsh — again, are sourced from wire recordings, iirc.

But it’s quite incredible to hear that group playing a few completely freely-improvised tunes live(?) in front of receptive audiences, and to great effect! Likewise, there’s an amazing entirely FREE session recorded in Tristano’s living room (again, on a wire recorder), with just the two horns, guitar, and Lennie (iirc). But with no audience, and it’s halfway-decently mic’d, and most of the sound comes through — just don’t expect it (that particular 25-minute session) to sound miraculous. But HISTORICALLY, it’s like mana from heaven, in terms of its importance — and it’s always quite musically wonderful, if sonically less than ideal.

I don’t mean to scare anyone off from buying it, but do give all the sample tracks on the Mosaic site a spin first — it’s a good overview of the range of material, musically (and sonically).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
    DrJ, Pants Party, sjaca and 5 others like this.
  10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Sonic Boom Toronto has picked up a lot
    Of Mosaic box sets including most ofvthe miles davis vinyl sets ( expensive) as well as dozens of cd sets. ( well priced) **For the love of god someone please go buy the Duke Ellington Small Group sessions $175. A fabulous fabulous set at a great price.**
    I snagged a couple cd sets i wanted

11. J.A.W.

The Tristano set is out of stock and Scott told me it'll be back in June. The Desmond is OOP.

Dignan2000 likes this.
  12. Too late for me. Have most of the JATP on vinyl and CD boxes. Lets see what is new in this Mosaiv box.

13. may1620

may1620 Forum Resident

Anyone have any luck making suggestions to Mosaic? I would love to see all future Dave Brubeck Quartet archive releases (plus The Wright Groove LP) go through Mosaic, in part because I think they will do a far better job with the mastering.

JuhNik and juanmanuel like this.
  14. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

I'd love too as well. And I would like to see "Complete Pete Rugolo Studio Emarcy-Mercury Sessions", but this is not really jazz. Incredible good Big Band Music, but unfortunately, just a few crazy fan of Rugolo Music like me will buy it.

15. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This was very helpful, thank you very much!

16. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Has anyone heard when the Louis Armstrong set will be back in stock?

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  17. J.A.W.

Dignan2000 and Pants Party like this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Does @Bradd or anyone know if a full tracklist of the B&W set is available

AnalogJ likes this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I have contacted them through the website and received email responses from Scott or Michael.

20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

Stu02 and Lonson like this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Last edited: May 22, 2022
    Stu02 and Bradd like this.
  22. Have that box for many years - terrific!!

RiRiIII likes this.
  23. J.A.W.

Dignan2000, ggjjr, Bradd and 4 others like this.
  24. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I see they’re selling the Master Jazz Piano box. Great set. Highly recommended!

Mark J likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

The Black & White Mosaic has been put back until late June, and the discounted price of $159 has been extended until June 15.

Dignan2000 and Swordsandchains like this.