The most important system character- Soundstage

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Apr 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Depends on how big the differences are. Obviously if the drum is on the left and then on the right thats a pretty huge difference and seems more like an issue and an improvement. But if its just slightly more to the left then one should not underestimate the potential of placebo.

2. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

Want sound stage that has breadth and depth? 5.1 SACD may be compelling.

3. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

There is no doubt that a modded/upgraded tube amp, or simply an outstanding tube preamp to begin with (eg: Air Tight, Thrax) is the heart of your system & can add liquidity, dimensionality, image specificity & increase the stage width/depth. Though you can't underestimate the influence of the loudspeakers. Everything matters in a system, incl: ac power, isolation and cables. But the speakers have the biggest influence over the sound imho. I remember when I first sat down to listen to my old Infinity Renaissance 90's for the first time. I was amazed how good their staging was (especially stage depth), which was remarkable considering they're not dipole-radiating speakers & had no rear-firing drivers.

4. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

On ocassion while listening to stereo recordings the sound stage has placed certain instruments to my side or behind my listening position, as if I had my DTS processor engaged. Thing is it is not engaged or even turned on. The effect in fact is sometimes present whether I am processing stereo from a Sony TA-P9000ES Preamp or a Parasound P6 Preamp and I do not have a clue about why such depth is perceived. I do know the effect is not consistent, that's to say, it is not present on each play of music selection. So far, I am speculating the depth perception is about my listening position in relation to reflected sound/non reflected sound off of doors in various states of openness.

5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

Indeed, the above! When we hear a single sound source anywhere around us, sound arrives at slightly different times at the left and right year and our brain works out the direction and distance of the sound source based on that difference.
    If we are not sure about the location of a sound, we even have the tendency to twist our head slightly to increase the difference in time of sound arrival for better determination of the sound source location!
    The problem with stereo reproduction comes with the fact that the sound source signal now arrives 2x times at our left and 2x times at our right ear instead of just 1x at each ear (because there is not a single source location but two sources/speakers).

This confuses the brain a little and sound source location becomes more diffuse. Brilliant Bob Carver found a solution (as explained in previous posts) by reducing the second/superfluous signal by 3dB and shifting to correct for the distance of the 2 ears.

Why did this not catch on? Firstly, the stereo shortcomings are known and many recordings are mixed and mastered to create an artificial stereo effect by placing instruments for example. Running Sonic Holography will make the stereo effect more exaggerated. Secondly, the listing position to achieve Sonic holography is much more critical otherwise the effect is lost.
    Yet, some recordings will benefit from it and I wonder why the option for Sonic Holography is not a available on more equipment. I am hoping that the rise of DSP and Class D amps will re-invent this option.

Sterling1 likes this.
  6. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Placebo is a very overestimated band imo :D...allthough my wife is a fan of Brian Molco.

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I used to have a class A integrated that came stock with EL34s. I don't think it had any negative feedback, and toward the end of its run I was getting these alternative NOS Russian power tubes. I had several of them flame out, but I learned to know that when I started hearing that immense soundstage, which was accompanied by a bit more audible distortion, that one was about to pop.

I now have a different integrated that is not class A and has a touch of negative feedback. It really has nowhere near the soundstage, but it is cleaner and faster.

I'm guessing distortion is part of the equation.

Sterling1 likes this.
  8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Of course I like it simple. I like the“Hard Left, Right and Centre” stage image presentation of the 50’s 60’s era. Better depth of field, image location and separation can be inherent in good speakers but may have to be “brought out” with compatible driving electronics and proper positioning. Of course quality of the source material is crucial. The “silk purse out of a sow’s ear” rule applies.

Sterling1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.