The Move

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joelee, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joelee

joelee Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Can someone recommend a single disc of theirs?
    It can be a regular release or compilation.
    I've always wanted some of their music.
    Please rate sound also.

Thanks!

2. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

The problem with recommending a single release on the Move is that their output in the United States and Europe is spread out over several labels, so it's tough to get a strong career retrospective on one CD.

However, my favorite invidual Move LP is "Looking On." I have it as part of three-CD set from England ("Movements") on Westside. Sound is very good with big fat guitars. There is also a version on (I believe) Repertoire which is supposedly pretty good (any opinions out there?) and has some strong bonus tracks.

There is also a compilation of all the later material from 1971 and 1972 on EMI in the U.S. called "Great Move." I like the sound (even bigger, fatter guitars, especially on the epochal "Do Ya") but it was transfered digitally from the British master tapes by Ron Furmanek (whose name sometimes strikes terror into the hearts of certain people), although he didn't master it (Kevin Reeves did, if that helps). The disc came out in 1994, and I'm not sure if it is still in print, EMI being what it's been the past couple of years.

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

joelee,

IMO, if you want just one Move CD, I would go for Repertoire's remastered version of "Shazam", with the bonus tracks. "Shazam" is one of my all time favorite releases, and shows off The Move's musical versatility. However, if you find either of Hoboken Lad's suggestions for a good price, they would also be a great place to start. In fact, the Westside box set does include the entire "Shazam" LP, along with lots of bonus tracks as well. To sum it up, you really can't go wrong with The Move, but you definitely should hear "Shazam", if you've never heard it before.

HeavyDistortion

4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive! Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!!

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

A definitive, remastered MESSAGE FROM THE COUNTRY is due out in June from the UK. It was the last LP before the Lynn/Wood formation of ELO. Killer riffs, huge sound, funny and scary at the same time. Any other fans of this great lost album?

6. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I picked up the A&M Best of the Move, 25 tracks and now apparently out of print. It only has one Jeff Lynne track on it, however, and that is the stuff I'd like to hear most of all. As part of the "First Light" series in the U.K., one of the Move albums is supposed to be reissued as a 2 CD set with a ton of bonus material, but it hasn't surfaced yet.

7. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

When you see that disc, RUN AWAY! One of the worst mastering jobs I've heard. Nonoised and so bright it literally hurts my ears. In the parlance of Hoffman, this is one that kills any low-flying insects in the vicinity. Not to mention, it's not really a greatest hits album (despite being deceptively subtitled "The Best of the Move"), it's merely a collection of all their recordings for Capitol, which comprised one album (Message from the Country) and three singles. On the one bright side, the cd does have a nice discography which covers their entire career.

I agree that Shazam! is their finest album (and one of my top-ten favorite albums, period). The Repertoire disc I have (circa early 90s)sounds fine, but I know they've remastered it since then and I haven't heard the latest version.

8. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

As much as I love the individual albums, if you're going to limit yourself to one disc then it has to be a compilation.

The "Very Best Of The Move" on Metro or "Looking Back" on Music Club are both excellent and sound as good as the early Move can sound.
    Go to allmusic.com and read the track listing. You can order these UK compilations for next to nothing from any of the the online English stores.

Neither contain any Message From the Country tracks or final singles which are on "Great Move" mentioned above. I don't find the sound on Great Move so objectionable and it's the best place to get the final great Roy Wood/Move singles Tonight and Chinatown.

However the true best of the Move is the early stuff found on Very Best Of and Looking Back.

Alsso don't confuse the compilation Looking Back with their third real album Looking On (a great album too).

9. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

joelee,

If you don't mind "vinyl" as a medium, try to search the used lp shops for a UK Import on the Pickwick label called The Move-The Greatest Hits Vol. 1!!!

Excellent sound mostly...earlier tracks sound like they may have had instruments/effects added to produce stereo. Mostly stereo overall. Only 10 songs on the lp.
    ** Track List: **
    Flowers In The Rain
    Hello Susie
    The Lemon Tree
    Cherry Blossom Clinic
    Night Of Fear
    I Can Hear The Grass Grow
    Brontosaurus
    Walk Upon The Water
    What
    Fire Brigade

Recommended, and should be easily found with a little searching!

10. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.