The Mule - Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by spanky1, Dec 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I got the sense Bradley Cooper and Andy Garcia were not just playing their roles, but also commemorating Eastwood’s career and perhaps bidding him a fond farewell.

It reminded me of the restaurant scene between De Niro and Pacino in Heat, in which the two greatest actors of their generation met onscreen for the first time—and that subtext ran throughout the scene.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny thing with the Heat scene was director Michael Mann realized that in no point in the script did Pacino and DeNiro’s characters meet. The coffee shop scene was devised to have them have a face to face (which, as you note, was the first time ever). “Righteous Kill” illustrates it should have been the first and last time.

3. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I didn’t know that about the Heat scene. And I didn’t see Righteous Kill. The 19% RT score probably had something to do with it. :D

GodShifter likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

RK?
    What a stinker.

5. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Just returned from a packed showing of the Mule. We enjoyed it.

6. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

We saw it Sunday. Enjoyed it. Amazing seeing him so frail now. Watched a lot of his older movies recently. Amazing.

Stormrider77 and shokhead like this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

All I can say is The Man With No Name has amazing smarts and obviously a super high IQ but he is dreadful with money. He makes a fortune in all three movies and through two he manages to be broke within a few months/year. :laugh:

mmars982 likes this.
  8. Ere

Ere Senior Member

jonathan and Ignatius like this.
  9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just rented this over the weekend from Redbox.

We all enjoyed and thought it was a good movie. I especially liked Eastwood's one liners that made others look at him funny or react to him. It was exactly what you would expect an older guy to say that is set in his ways.

ssmith3046 and dlemaudit like this.
  10. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I really liked the movie. Eastwood's character could have been a forum member. :D I loved the scenes with him and his ex-wife. I've always liked Dianne Wiest.

11. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Watched it on a flight last night and liked it very much. The film seemed to contain a lot of under the radar (and a few more obvious) subtleties and ironies beyond the essential story line, which captured my interest and made me to really respect the movie and Clint himself. I want to see this again, on something better than an airplane monitor but even in that limited viewing environment, the film was compelling to me.

12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

What I love is the movie reinforces the old saying of "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

I liked it when Andy Garcia's character told his guys basically "Look the old guy gets the stuff through no problem. He mixes it up so what? It works!"

Then ...ah well...

unclefred likes this.
  13. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

There's a reviewer who adds no value. Ignore.

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I saw this last night. Worth the $7 rental.

rockclassics likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

For those who are RFD-TV viewers, Mollie B of "Mollie B Polka Party" notoriety is the polka band in this movie.

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Is this what happened at the end?
    Clint killed the 2 Cartel guys?

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

This was a stupid response to a movie I had not even seen. I didn't realize this was based on the real story of Leo Sharp. I definitely want to see this now.

18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

oh yes , like when he uses the N word when he helps the black couple with changing their tyre.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

He refers to them as a nice Negro couple and the wife corrects him, says they prefer the term African American, and he apologizes.

20. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Saw this last nite, and really enjoyed it. Not like greatest thing ever, but in today’s BS superhero movie world, so refreshing.

Just a simple story, Clint is so no nonsense as a director. Good acting, too.

Recommended

21. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's what I remember. It isn't at all what dlemaudit implies above.

Brenald79 likes this.
  22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Someone recently told me in person that they got to meet Clint in 2016 while working on that movie he did with Bradley Cooper. Said Clint was super in real life and casts a big physical presence because he’s like 6’2 which is huge for an actor.

23. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Not even close. I have a picture of Clint taken with my wife in Venice when he was wrapping 15:17. She's 5.5" and he was only a few inches taller. He's older now and has shrunk considerably. That said, Clint was very nice with presence & charm to spare.

24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I watched this movie sometime ago on cable on demand and really liked. I've been a Eastwood fan since his days on Rawhide. Watched Redford's The Old Man and The Gun a few nights ago and although different they kind of had the same vibe.

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I watched it last night and enjoyed it. I did, however, prefer Grand Torin0. (As far as grumpy old man movies go!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.