The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree...although I will add that without knowing him at all, I get the feeling that Stills has also become a lot more approachable in his senior years. And I respect how he has stayed out of the C-N-Y squabbling...unless he is keeping his powder dry for the autobiography that he has promised soon.

2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Graham was married to Alice the Housekeeper? Who knew? :tiphat:

3. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

If you can't say anything nice........come sit down here beside me.

4. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

I think I need to retire from the internet and humanity in general. It's posts like this that truly depress me. You sound so justified in what you do, so proud that it's legal, meanwhile you seem to be admitting that your entire life's work is slamming celebrities (i.e. people who have likely contributed something relatively artful to the world) for personal matters and that you do this because you can get away with it, because they are celebrities and they cannot expect privacy. What about morality? What makes you feel like what you are doing is either good or useful for the world?

I enjoy Nash's music, I don't need to waste one second of my time judging him for who he wants to be married to. Half of this thread comes off like a National Enquirer article.

5. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

That brief marriage was sadly derailed by Graham's fling with Sam the Butcher :cry:

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

She was the co-star of "Ozzie's Girls" the 70s Nelson family show in which Ozzie takes two college girls in to fill Dave and Ricky's space.

7. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I guess when Croz got that liver transplant he must have inherited the donor's conscience too.

Btw, does Jackson Browne fit into this too?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2019
  8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This thread is like Christmas Day for finding new emotionally unhealthy voyeurs to put on my vast ignore list.

:wave:

Tim Bucknall, fr in sc, sjaca and 4 others like this.
  9. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

My life's work is telling people what happened, the good and the bad, the positive and the negative, whether it involves celebrities or schmoes walking the street.

It is honorable work that I'm proud of and still fight every day to do well in a changing environment where everyone with a smartphone thinks he or she can be a journalist.

I do have constitutional and legal protections to allow me to do that work. With those protections comes great responsibility that I take with the utmost seriousness.

It depresses me that people apparently don't think I should have those protections because celebrities are something special who should be placed on pedestals.

Nash makes great music. He willingly sought fame and fortune. With that fame and fortune comes a price. It's part of the deal.

10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I honestly have little interest in musicians' private lives...perhaps only to the extent that they influence what music gets made.

But I was curious as to whether Nash's current squeeze was any relation to Poco drummer George Grantham (if she is, I haven't found any reference to it). And in the course of some perfunctory digging I found this quote from Nash:

“I thought, 'I’m not in love with my wife, so what do I do?' I figured, I’m at the end of my life, I could just settle, but I couldn’t do that — my heart was screaming at me to move on. So I divorced my wife and fell in love with a woman who’s just brilliant. She’s half my age. I’m 76 now, she’s not even 40 yet. Wild, eh? My sex life is insane. It’s better than it’s ever been in my life.”

I just really wonder why he feels the need to share this bit of information with the world. Rather confirms the impression I formed of him after reading his autobiography.

I have great admiration for Nash's work with The Hollies (and some for what he did subsequently). But this is certainly a test case for one's ability to separate the person from his music.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If Woodstock 50 cannot offer then enough $ to smooth over differences, nothing will. That is the biggest potential pay day they will ever see. Crosby said yes and is on the bill with "friends" (hopefully including some of the Dead & Co guys) but will get way more $ if more of them sign on. We will see what happens.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. PRW94

PRW94 Forum Resident

Yeah, don't share that with the world and then have an expectation of privacy and everybody scream "gossip, gossip, gossip." That's like drawing a bull's eye on your face and sticking it out in front of Mike Tyson and saying, "Hit me," and then bitching when he obliges with a left hook.

13. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

We can't know what Nash's marriage was like towards the end. If it was a living hell, who wouldn't want out of it if it was warranted. You just never know. That stuff is between Nash, his wife... and Crosby.

Mamunia, Ryan Lux, javilu77 and 7 others like this.
  14. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

One thing about celebrity / material wealth is that it enables / encourages people to be shortsighted and self-centered. When the going gets tough people can bear down and work through it or they can walk away and do a restart. I guess it's a test of character. Just an observation. (or maybe I'm being judgmental/self-righteous and talking out of my ass?)

15. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Our house is a very very very clean house... :)

16. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

funny that you would think a tu quoque comment has anything to do with the topic, or were you just virtue signaling?

johnod, PDK and showtaper like this.
  17. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

His heart, eh? :tiphat:

18. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

Perhaps we can liken the life of a marriage to the life of a band. Beatles pulled the plug after less than ten years. I don't think anyone regrets it; they really couldn't stand being around each other anymore and had their own projects in mind. The Stones are still (?) lumbering on but to what good end? I wouldn't be surprised if Nash's wife wasn't equally sick of him, from what I've read here. Not sure about a test of character. Life is short. Carpe diem ! And as a generalization, many men as they get older still crave physicality whereas some women may not. I can appreciate how Nash feels about his current life but it's not the kind of thing one should announce to the world.
    And what about Daryl Hannah's responsibility here? Did she not know Neil while he was married? I suspect she and NY agreed to hook up before the divorce came about, but I'm just guessing here. And Pegi has since passed away.

"Sigh." I agree with the folks who emphasize the music. I'm glad Crosby is happy, but he seemed the least sympathetic back in the day, and Young seems to have a huge ego but has also done a lot of good for the world. But I don 't think they have much to offer, especially as a unit, these days. They are all in their 70s, god luv 'em. They never were a "band." They announced as much by using their individual names. What, no drummer, no bassist? What kind of a band is that? I think they just coexisted, contributed separate pieces, and enjoyed singing together. I actually credit Deja Vu with my personal awakening to the vast tapestry that was music pre-80s. All those bands wanted to play with each other and display their influences. Hank Williams, Leadbelly, Django, all that stuff was getting exposure as I read more and more about these guys, and it all started with Deja Vu (although I had already listened to stuff like Simon and Garfunkel and Beatles and Monkees, the way CSN&Y had other contributors sorta started me down that path. The band that probably did the most to expose me to Big Picture Music is the good ol' Dead, but they came later.)

Sorry. I knew I had a lot of thoughts about this. I considered breaking things up into different posts, but there it is.

19. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

What do you want next ? another Crosby album as good as Sky Trails or Here if you listen or another CSNY album as good as American Dream or Looking Forward. Rest my case.

20. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

I’ve seen some more recent Stills interviews where he’s in a good mood, seems like not a bad dude.

There’s that famous mid ‘80s interview (on CBS I think) where a sober Crosby was upfront about his recent legal and drug issues, Nash was pontificating like the earnest hippie-turned-yuppie he was, and Stills was an introverted, but mean drunk.

21. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Charlie Watts is Mr. Heckles???

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  22. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

Graham's oldest best friend and Hollies former frontman Allan Clarke also married his wife Jenni in 1964, celebrating 55 years together this year. Graham had already married his first wife Rose in 1964, whom he divorced in 1968.

It seems that the Hollies are all 'good guys'. Guitarist Tony Hicks is still married to his wife Jane since 1970/71 and drummer Bobby Elliott was actually with Tony's sister Maureen Hicks until she died a few years ago, though I don't think they were ever married.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  23. Cameron.39

Cameron.39 Forum Resident

I do get fed up of the CSN hype, especially in relation to Graham Nash. IMO, most of his most memorable and successful work was with the Hollies. Yes he had a superb solo album in 1971 and wrote some of CSNs biggest hits, but none of them reached the chart heights of the hits he co-wrote with the Hollies. He ironically left them to pursue a more "mature" sound, but as he was bopping his way up the charts with the twee "Marrakesh Express", which the Hollies had turned down, the Hollies were soaring to the top of the charts with "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" at the same time. So who ended up with the more mature band?

What's more, the Hollies actually had their three biggest hits after Graham left with "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", "Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)" and "The Air That I Breathe", turning out consistently superb quality albums well into the 1970s. CSN, on the other hand, managed one great album as a trio, and one great album as CSNY. Drugs and egos prevented them from doing anything better, other than their late hit "Wasted On The Way", which was a realisation all too late for Mr Nash. But CSN(Y) rise to prominence because of their personalities and antics. It's a shame that the Hollies always seem to get overlooked.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

I wonder how Crosby would have felt if Nash or Young or Stills criticized him for donating his sperm to a lesbian couple so they could conceive? I think it was Melissa Etheridge, but not sure. But its OK for him to criticize someone's girlfriend in the press.

He's quite the self righteous pompous individual.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    fr in sc and Lost In The Flood like this.
  25. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I think things were already frosty before this; Crosby was very critical of Nash's autobiography and felt a lot of the stories were total fiction; supposedly the last CSN tour was very tense. The wife thing seems like the last straw.

Gratefully Deadicated and PRW94 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.