The Nash vs. Crosby Feud

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Autotune Sucks, Apr 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

If you like Songs For Survivors, I imagine you'll find something to enjoy on This Path Tonight. I've been really bowled over by it. David & Stephen have also been on something of roll with their music over the last decade or so. Lots of great recent music from the CSN camp but TPT is probably my favourite of the lot.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Fred1, bonus, DocShipe and 1 other person like this.
  2. CatManDude

CatManDude Forum Existent

I never could understand why in the later years Johnny Nash harbored such distain for Bing Crosby. I mean when the two of them...
    Oh. Wait. I think I'm on the wrong thread...

3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

correct

and from what i understand, not real easy to find either.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Wright and Chief like this.
  4. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoever put this one-disc comp together sure succeeded in neutering the album. In other words, the most interesting material was left on the cutting room floor. Crosby's "Luck Dragon" and "Charlie"...Nash's "The Other Side Of Town" and "Half Your Angels"...all missing.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

FYI

there is/was (i doubt it can be found anymore) CSN version of "half you angels" that they put up their website for about 2 minutes back in 2001. stills adds some simply beautiful guitar to the tune, i, personally find it to be a whole lot better than the crosby*nash version.

it has never been on an album or CD as far as i know.

csnfan, DTK, Chief and 2 others like this.
  6. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I ran across it a few times but it was expensive as I recall, and I’d already bought the double CD - so I didn’t see the point.

Besides that, the highlights disc came out two years after the original release. Not sure if they thought they could capture the folks that said “oooo new Nash-Crosby release! Oh...too bad it’s a double CD, pass” or what.

7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

9. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

What I can't believe is that I'm reading the 7th page of this thread and nobody has yet mentioned the Beatles!

10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, according to legend, CSNY were the american beatles :)

11. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Right. It was every so briefly on the CSN website. With Stills’ guitar, “Half Your Angel” had a “Just A Song Before I Go” feel. It was definitely preferable to the CN version. Too bad CSN was still using that eighties keyboard sound at this late date.

I always thought this was the version that was under consideration for Looking Forward.

Ryan Lux and Hep Alien like this.
  12. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

I have been trying to make CN album “single album” comp from the Crosby-Nash album, and I’m not finding easy. I am modeling after Wind On The Water, and right away, I don’t have enough Nash songs in rock mode. No “Mama Lion”, “Take The Money And Run” or “Love Work Out”. The closest Nash gets to rock is James Raymond’s “Puppeteer”. And the “Lay Me Down” into “Puppeteer” works well.

It quickly falls apart and then I have trouble cutting anything. I can only easily cut “Half Your Angels” because I think the CSN version is better. The version of “My Country ‘Tis Of Thee” on Oh Yes I Can is perfect, so this version isn’t really needed.

And then I can’t easily cut the disc down to 40-50 minutes.

I found that bumping the relentlessly sad “Michael (Hedges Here)” up in the mix, and then followed by “Jesus Of Rio” works nicely. Speaking of which, that’s one of the best late era Nash songs. It’s as good as anything he ever did.

Ryan Lux and Hep Alien like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

yes it is, in a perfect world, 'grace/jesus of rio" would have been a huge hit, but not in 2004.

i saw CPR do 'jesus' in niagara falls right after this album came out, crosby's vocals did it real justice.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. Autotune Sucks

Autotune Sucks Forum Resident Thread Starter

To this day, every time I listen to the brief but terrific guitar solo on "Luck Dragon" I get a sensory kick that I wish I got more of in the other songs. Can't recall now if Jeff Pevar or Shane Fontayne played it.

chrisblower and Chief like this.
  15. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

16. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

fishcane and Zack like this.
  17. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I was going to say that's some quality rock journalism there.

18. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

I must confess to similar feelings about a number of musicians I once revered--Chris Hillman immediately comes to mind, perhaps because I read his book last fall (and neither he nor McGuinn come off admirably). in contrast, I am frequently bemused at how I maintain a healthy objectivity about others I admire to this day, such as Bob Dylan: I am beginning to wonder if the long-term quality of their work as much to do with that?!?

Six Bachelors and bmh5879 like this.
  19. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Like Stills, Crosby & Nash need some guys around to help them "love them out it":

Harm1985 likes this.
  20. Dovetail7

The fact his manipulative, hyper-critical behavior hasn't changed appreciably since his days in The Byrds is what renders Crosby so deplorable to me...but then I don't follow him musically any longer, so there is nothing to mitigate his deeply-ingrained character flaws.

chrisblower likes this.
  21. Dovetail7

Graham Nash seems to have had an inflated sense of his own self-worth since he took the acid trip that prompted him to leave The Hollies...this side of Elton John, I cannot think of a musical figure that's made so much of a career out of so little.

22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

A giant, in my world. One of the great songwriters and a fine singer too.

Fred1 and Chief like this.
  23. Dovetail7

May I ask which of the terrible two you are heaping such praise upon?

musicaner likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I'm not heaping praise on anybody terrible. :D

However, My comment was aimed at Graham Nash, who, in my my opinion if not yours, is a top tier songwriter. :)

Ryan Lux likes this.
  25. Dovetail7

:laugh:...Like Bob Dylan, a true top-tier songwriter, once said: "...you are right from your side and I am right from mine.."

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    ILovethebassclarinet and carlwm like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.