"The Nat King Cole Story" Reborn Recordings HD master

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pirad, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pirad

pirad New Member Thread Starter

Tidal has quite a few albums from "Reborn Recordings" (marked with big letters on the cover). They are described as "HD Remastered". "The Nat King Cole Story" is one of them. The "Reborn R." version of "TNKCS" was released in November 2018. There is also another version with the same cover art but not "RR" HD-remastered (May 1991 issue). Both versions have only Capitol/EMI attribution in credits, no production details. I googled "Reborn Recordings" and could not find anything (do not confuse with Reborn Records).
    Is this "TNKCS" HD Master based by any chance on the one from 2011 by Steve Hoffman ? It has the same two bonus tracks at the end, which are not present elsewhere. Any info and opinions on the sound quality will be appreciated.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ripped off our work, not surprising.

vinylontubes likes this.
  3. pirad

So you recognize you work?! How can it be that somebody (who?) sells it on Tidal Qobuz and God knows where else? Is it your master 1:1 or they did something to it?
    I wish I had your master to listen to...And what can they mean by „HD-remaster” ?

4. Chuck2

Chuck2 New Member

And this one caught my eye... Qobuz is now listing the Charley Patton box from Revenant - Screaming and Hollerin' the Blues - in seven volumes under this Reborn Recordings banner. After a little searching, it seems the Reborn is pedaling just about every historic blues compilation ever issued, complete with exact replicas of the album covers. Granted - nearly all of this stuff is public domain, but much of the cover art still may be protected and possibly even the remastered copies of the music, when appropriately sanctioned. Also notable is that this entire library appears to be listed at 24/48. HDTracks does not seem to offering these Reborn thefts - not yet anyway.

5. pirad

I analyzed those Reborn Recordings and the “mastering” is compression and pumped up vocals. They probably use existing masters for that.

6. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

The James Brown compilation "Roots of a Revolution" is available as a official digital download in some online stores. The thing is, it says is remastered by this "Reborn Recordings" label. Are their masterings any good? I've always wanted this compilation.

7. They've got what appears to be the only currently available version of Don Shirley's Water Boy. I would guess the copyright has lapsed in Europe by now, since it's been fifty-five years, but I have to wonder where they sourced it. Had it been Redbook, I'd guess they had just grabbed it from the Sony "Collectable Jazz Classics" twofor that came out back in the early 2000s (and is now, sadly, out of print) but at (supposedly) 24/48, I can only speculate: uprez or needledrop?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.