The National announce new album “I Am Easy To Find” (May 17) and World Tour*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dflow, Mar 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

It's pretty meh.

Dave513 likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Undecided if I should get this. The deluxe seems to sell well but I don't want another album with PVC wallet sleeve. So the clear version, maybe? Or none at all? :help:

3. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

"You Had Your Soul With You" by The National, from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert...

4. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

All I know about The National is a luminous composition by guitarist Bryce Dessner premiered in Europe recently called Quintet for High Strings, more specifically for string quartet and an acoustic guitar with its four lower strings replaced by others of a lighter gauge tuned an octave higher. Most impressive and hallucinatory.

5. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Anyone know if the vinyl eds come with download codes?

6. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Amazing short film!

DTK likes this.
  7. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Funny world. As trouble will find me is by far my favourite. And I was a fan since The early days.

8. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I cancelled my order. The vinyl coloured is £37 in the UK.... theft.

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Pops and clicks on the clear version?

10. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Talk about YMMV! :p

I'm just listening to this for the first time and I think it's pretty great. True, it's an opulent recording, which is not what we usually get from The National. The female vocals, choirs and pervasive strings make for a “softer” album but the production (despite the squashed dynamic range) really sounds very good at a decent volume and it is very “detailed”. Contrary to what @Sprocket Henry says, “the bloody staccato snare drum” is not at all omnipresent on this album.

Two things to bear in mind: this is a long album at over an hour and I find that streaming encourages one to weigh the “opportunity cost” of every song. So I can imagine that many people will listen to this and get hacked off with it a few songs in. (I bought the CD because The National is one of the few remaining bands where I'm in for the ride.) Secondly, The National is not a band for the impatient: it’s going to take a few spins before these songs worm into the brain, but at the moment I'm confident that this set will do it again.

mschrist, JL6161, Davmoco and 2 others like this.
  11. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

My vinyl pre-ordered from amazon arrived yesterday and I’ve started listening to the album this morning. Wow, has that “instant classic” appeal from my first listen and most of their albums get better over time from my experience.

The copy I received was on clear vinyl labeled “limited edition” which I do not remember being in the description when I ordered, so that was nice.

Also nice was the digital download included allows you to choose FLAC files instead of mp3 if you prefer.

12. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

13. gov

gov Forum Resident

Agree with @Sordel in that save for the Boxer, all national albums for me are growers. How much they grow ultimately is how the sit for me.

I’m on third listen and I’m really digging this one. Said in another thread I like the change in approach despite not thinking they needed to change anything.

Think it will find into top 4 for me all things considered. It is hard to “rank” a discography from a band that’s been around so long but this ones a winner no matter how I think about it.

Vinyl was all pressed very well too which is a relief. Ends my run of bad luck.

mschrist likes this.
  14. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I've listened to it three times now, and it grows on me each time. Some of the arrangements and production are jaw-dropping. I imagine that this is what Pete Townshend has aimed for from time to time.

mschrist likes this.
  15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Mine arrived today. The version with the film soundtrack included. The whole thing is a stunning achievement. This is gorgeous, meaningful music, a real double album with a theme tied to the subject of the film. I love it.

mschrist likes this.
  16. Grower of Mushrooms

Grower of Mushrooms Omnivorous mammalian bipedal entity.

Listening for the first time just now and loving it. The female vocals inject a new dimension of loveliness into the mix.

You have to wonder about their creative process. Given that their songs take so many listens to fully reveal the beauty therein, how do they know if they're any good when freshly written?

Take "The Day I Die" off the last album as an example. The first 3 or 4 listens I was convinced it was just a rabble, but eventually it clicked, and I think its great now.

mschrist likes this.
  17. This is a very beautiful and gorgeous album , but the National has always been somewhat monotonous. :tiphat: And I’m a fan. :buttkick:.

18. JudasPriest

JudasPriest Forum Resident

Mostly liking this album. A lot .

19. Boba_fun

Boba_fun Member

Phenomenal musical achievement. I got the black vinyl. Lots of surface noise :(

Verdict on other versions?

mschrist likes this.
  20. gov

gov Forum Resident

Did you clean it? My black vinyl is silent after cleaning. Better than the last three music matters discs I bought o_O

21. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

My colored vinyl is well pressed and quiet....Most of my black vinyl National LP's suffer from a lot of surface noise from new so this is a nice change of pace !

22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Agreed. The most interesting music Kauffman is making is with Hiss Golden Messenger

Mazzy likes this.
  23. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I agree with this. Trouble Will Find Me was the album that converted me to liking The National, but it took many listens to grow on me.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Can someone give some insight into the deadwax info please. Is there a RKS Stirling stamp again?

25. Goatboy

Goatboy Forum Resident

From what I can make out 'J N H STERLING' is in the deadwax. The 'N' isn't clear though.

BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.