The New Elekit 8900 DIY Kit Allows Choice of 300B or 2a3 Tubes Without Mods

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sugar Man, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm the proud owner of the now discontinued Elekit TU-8600 (with upgrades) and it is an amazing 300B amp. Now they are coming out with the new 8900 that can run on 300B's or 2a3's without any circuit changes and the amp will make the necessary changes itself! That is a game-changer in my book. Damn!

Elekit TU-8900 300B/2A3 Tube Amplifier Kit

Ontheone likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Victor Kung has a thread at DIY Audio with a lot more info and insight, including about the Lundahl output transformer option ... ELEKIT TU-8900 2A3/300B - diyAudio ... does yours also use DC-DC convertor modules for the filament power?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  3. Sugar Man

@Davey I used the Tube Depot link for the description. I used Victor Kung for my build and HIGHLY RECOMMEND him. He is the hardest working man in audio and went above and beyond to make sure the kit turned out perfect. And yes, the upgraded transformers (and other upgrades) are a must. The DC-DC converter modules don't sound familiar, but I'm not very tech savvy. My 8600 has three driver tubes as opposed to two in the 8900. I'm lusting for this bad boy.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Do you use it with a preamp or some kind of source selector, or just use it alone with your phono preamp? I know, I should just read your other thread, didn't get around to it yet :)

5. Sugar Man

The one source input is the only thing I don't like about the amp. I run it direct and manually change my one set of IC's from my Herron to my Node. Minor hassle but livable. It would be nice to have two or three inputs.

6. JasperYYJ

JasperYYJ Forum Resident

Interesting! From VK's forum appears the circuit is connected to Sunvalley SV1616D, a traditional amp design with tube rectifier/choke. Anyone have any info on Sunvalley SV1616D?

Also interested to hear if anyone has any info about this 2A3 tube - interesting that the unit has been able to be voiced in a way that optimizes two different and sought after tube characters!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  7. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I like the green sylvania preamp tubes. Atleast they sound sweet on my fender amp.

In regards to the:
    Elekit TU-8900 300B/2A3

I'm very impress with the specs reading on tube compliment with the "12au7 / 12BH7", frequency response and output impedance. Sounds promising..

●Tubes :300B (or 2A3) x 2pcs, 12AU7 (or 12BH7A) x 2pcs (Tubes not included)
    ●Specifications below are with the 300B+12AU7, with NFB, 8Ω loaded
    ●Rated output :8W+8W (300B) / 3.5W+3.5W (2A3) <THD 10%>
    ●Rated input : 1Vrms (300B) / 650mVrms (2A3)
    ●Residual noise : 15μV (IHF-A)
    ●Frequency response : 7Hz-90kHz (with NFB) / 12Hz-45kHz (Without NFB)
    ●Input impedance : 50kΩ
    ●Output impedance : 4-6.3Ω, 8-16Ω (SW on backside)
    ●Input terminal : LINE x 1
    ●Output terminal
    Headphone terminal : 6.3mm headphone jack
    Speaker output terminals (L/R channel) : Gold-plated screw type terminal (Banana plug usable)
    ●Power voltage : AC110-120V or AC220-240V 50/60Hz (3P inlet)
    ●Power consumption : 95W (300B) / 65W (2A3)
    ●Measurement : W356xH214xD320mm (including projections)
    ●Weight : Approx. 11.4kg (excluding a power cable)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  8. bPlaTyPuS

bPlaTyPuS Well-Known Member

dumb question but if I use a preamp and change the volume on the preamp will it actually change the volume or only changing volume on the elekit will work?

I have an R8 and it has preamp ins, so I never use it to change the volume... just asking because the elekit don't have a remote and I really don't want to have to get up each time I want to change the volume...

9. jcn3

jcn3 Forum Resident

you can attenuate anywhere in your chain you like -- set the volume on the elekit wherever works best for you and leave it, it will function essentially as an amp

bPlaTyPuS likes this.
  10. bPlaTyPuS

bPlaTyPuS Well-Known Member